Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 05:47 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,512,977 times

Advertisements

It's beautiful........ but I'm a non-blind person heading towards minimalist life style.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 06:28 AM

4 posts, read 11,555 times
Default Rockcastle

I bought two gorgeous 5 acre tracts in Rockcastle before the development opened in february/March of 2007. I have been all over Tennessee and I own property in three different developments. All I can tell you is that Rockcastle was done the right way. This just isn't a piece of property in the middle of nowhere. It is a development that was done right. There are restictions to keep it nice, hard roads and it lays out very well with most of the lots having great views and building sites. My lots have beautiful tiers for building sites with great views of the mountains and there is a pond on one lot. The hardwoods are great too. I have been in the new sections that they opened up and they are nice but not as well done as section 1 as I call it. All I can say is that from looking at land all over the state there are plenty of places that developers are coming in and trying to buy up big tracts and then jack up the price real high and think they are going to cash in like they did in North Carolina. The Bluffs is an example. The place is beautiful bu the prices are sky high and they are not getting it done there and may go under due to county restrictions. Rock castle might seem pricey if you want land but don't forget that you get much more here than just a piece of land in the middle of nowhere. Most people don't want that who are looking for recreational or retirement property. They want nice property, roads, restrictions in an area where they will be surrounded by similar type homes and homeowners with local jewels like Dale Hollow and Big South Fork nearby. The buyers in Rockcastle are from California, New Jersey, Illinois and Floridaetc planning for the future, Jamestown is a little town but you have plenty in Crossville. I got a kick out of Jamestown coming from Chicago. The people were real nice and very friendly and warm. Everybody knew each other and the small town feel is nice. People are not stupid there they just have simple lives and needs which is refreshing compared to how complicated things are in the big city life. I loved the area. I would say that Rock castle is priced a little high but in 5 years as the spread of retirees and recreational second home buyers continues you are going to see middle Tenn explode like East Tenn. and the prices there will be low. Sorry to ramble but Rockcastle is a beautiful place that is done right. I give it a thumbs up.

Old 06-29-2008, 12:59 PM

129 posts, read 456,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3chihuahuas View Post
Was curious if anyone can offer some feedback on Jamestown and a development that was advertised in our local newspaper called RockCastle Farms that's offering five-acre tracts for about $30,000. My impression is that this area offers a lot of natural beauty and recreational opportunities, but you don't hear that much about it. Having read some of the responses about developers taking advantage of out-of-town buyers, we're a bit cautious. What's the area like? We don't need to be within five minutes of a Wal-Mart or gourmet restaurants, but is medical care relatively close in case of emergency? Everything about the area looks good; on the other hand, there doesn't seem to be a groundswell of happy people who live there, as there is with the Hawks Bluff development and a few other places.
I work in a business that requires me to be up in Jamestown/Fentress County on a weekly basis. My opinion is that it's a fine small town. A few restaurants, some good local shopping, and very, very nice people.

The gentleman developing RockCastle is a legitimate businessman who is investing in Fentress County.

I agree with the points about Crossville having more. It isn't far from Crossville or Cookeville (where I've lived and worked for 32 years), for that matter.

Medical Care is close by in an emergency...there are fine physicians in Fentress County.

You can ALWAYS (no matter where you move) find an area that has more to offer, but if the area you pick works for you, then it is fine.

Oh, and if you're not in the 'job market'..than I wouldn't worry about the availability of jobs.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:01 AM

Default Rockcastle Farms

I have read some of the posts on Rockcastle Farms that were made over the last year or so with interest. Since I own property in Rockcastle Farms Phase 1, I have an outsiders perspective on Jamestown, Rockcastle and this area of Tenn. I spent alot of time in Tennessee before I bought land in three different parts of the State both as future summer recreational property and some for investment. Living in the suburbs of Chicago and being originally from New Jersey, I am not exactly a countryboy but I have all the hobbies and interests of a countryboy. I would rather be in the woods hunting or on the lake fishing than in my law office or at some fancy restaurant in the City. Been there and done that and don't care for it that much. First I think Tennesee in general is going to be like North Carolina was years ago. Ever popular as a nice place to visit and or retire because of its afforability to folks that will never be able to handle Florida, California or Arizona. Those places are great but the prices and associated costs of insurance taxes etc. are just out of control even with the economic downturn. We have already seen East Tennessee explode around and East of Knoxville. Middle Tennessee while more rural and country and affordable is probably next to see more development. There are already some new developments like Rockcastle and there will be more especially if Disney or some other big company comes in and does a theme park which has been a continuing rumor in the area. The appeal for me in Middle Tennesee as an outsider was exactly what the place is. Its a beautiful place in the mountains and country of Tennessee where there is beautiful land for a second home near amazing scenery, mountains and country with terrific fishing ,hunting and horseback riding. Jamestown is really small and folksy. I loved the charm of of the people and how friendly and nice everyone was. My friend from the area knew everyone in the restaurant he took me to and called everyone brother. A different kind of brother than you get here in Chicago if you know what I mean. That is the appeal of the place for me. Dale Hollow is close where I also own property and that Lake is the prettiest and cleanest in Tenn. What I have learned about people coming to the area to buy land from outside Tenn. is that they don't have the sticker shock of the locals because they have seen what prices are elsewhere and they are willing to pay more for beautiful land in an untouched area for a second home that might be more than what the local land value is if there are services and amenities and the area has covenants roads water and restrictions. I was the same. Most of the people that I know that have bought in Rockcastle have come from New Jersey , Illinois, Florida because of the way this development is put together and for what it offers. Anyone can buy a lot in the middle of nowhere, but this is developed the right way. A great piece of land in a the mountains with great views and with restrictions on the land and with all the recreational opportunities near by. I think that most of the buyers are either going to use the property as second homes and some will retire there. You will never change local mentality about land prices in these developments. The locals will just get the benefits in value which is fine. Lets face it its affordable and development will catch up to Jamestown. So most outsiders see now as an opportunity to get in for their retirement or their future recreational summer needs now. Jamestown really is small and I wouldnt count on it to meet your every need but everyone can drive to Crossville or Cookeville if they need to. I couldn't be happier with my land in Rockcastle right now. I know it is just a matter of time until I build there and start enjoying Tenn. for what it is: beautiful, rich in outdoor activites and simple clean country living. Sorry for being so long but the more time I spend in Tenn the more I become intruiged by the simple nice place that it is. The poeple are as charming as the State.

Last edited by JMT; 02-22-2012 at 03:07 PM..

Old 10-22-2008, 02:51 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,270,401 times
Funny that this older thread was resurrected today. Just spoke with a woman that lives in Jamestown. She's from Michigan and has lived there since January.

She has the same homesickness that most of us go through, so it's hard to say how she'll feel in another year, but so far she has mixed feelings. She thinks the people are nice but she is probably going to move to a larger town. Her biggest problem has been with the schools that threaten the kids with corporal punishment.

By the way, she describes Jamestown as being much larger than I was thinking. She says it even has a Super Walmart!

And regarding the Disney rumor, do know that the same rumor exists in almost every part of this country. It's a great way to sell land.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:34 AM

The owner of the lot next to me in Rockcastle is a Disney management guy. Tenn. is a perfect spot for a Disney property at some point after this economic downturn. We will see what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville