Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 05:51 PM

176 posts, read 799,938 times

Advertisements

Which old shopping center are you referring to? I hadn't heard of a water park coming here. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2007, 05:56 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,959,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrradio View Post
Which old shopping center are you referring to? I hadn't heard of a water park coming here. Thanks!
It's the one behind the main library in downtown Cookeville. It's the shopping center that had Cotton Eyed Joe, the country dance club thing that kept getting in trouble with the beer board and eventually shut down. I think it changed its name to simply The Joe and has moved to the old Wilson sporting goods factory near the Depot.

Dogwood Park, which is where the downtown performance pavilion is located, is going to expand and take up that entire parking lot and shopping center. Behind the shopping center, towards Dixie Ave., is an old spring that was Cookeville's original town spring. The idea is to honor the old spring by adding some sort of water park component to the expanded Dogwood Park which will be like Cookeville's version of Central Park when it's all done.

Old 08-06-2007, 12:47 AM

421 posts, read 1,691,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
It's the one behind the main library in downtown Cookeville. It's the shopping center that had Cotton Eyed Joe, the country dance club thing that kept getting in trouble with the beer board and eventually shut down. I think it changed its name to simply The Joe and has moved to the old Wilson sporting goods factory near the Depot.

Dogwood Park, which is where the downtown performance pavilion is located, is going to expand and take up that entire parking lot and shopping center. Behind the shopping center, towards Dixie Ave., is an old spring that was Cookeville's original town spring. The idea is to honor the old spring by adding some sort of water park component to the expanded Dogwood Park which will be like Cookeville's version of Central Park when it's all done.
Yeah,I know they want to focus on the town spring in some form or fashion.
I think the "water park" thing they're looking at is more like a "spray park".Hopefully something like they have at Coolidge Park In Chattanooga!Great on these 95 degree days!

firepower

Old 08-06-2007, 10:53 AM

17 posts, read 80,713 times
the Cookeville newspaper is a pretty good resource for rentals.....You can view their classifieds online
Welcome to the Herald-Citizen Web Page!!

On the 10pm Channel 5 news a couple of weeks ago, they showed a live view of downtown Cookeville.....like the skynet cams they have around Nashville. It looked to be positioned at street level facing the Spring St./Jefferson Ave intersection. You could see the clock on the courthouse lawn in the picture. I haven't seen it broadcast since, and can't find any info on their website....I wonder if it will be back?

Old 08-06-2007, 05:35 PM

176 posts, read 799,938 times
Thanks for the information on the water or "spray" park. I hadn't heard about that or about expanding Dogwood Park. Both ideas sound great. As far as Cotton Eyed Joe's or its later incarnations, well, my wife and I are a little past that point in life. Golden Corral's early bird special is more our thing!

Thanks again...

Old 08-06-2007, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrradio View Post
Thanks for the information on the water or "spray" park. I hadn't heard about that or about expanding the Dogwood Park. As far as Cotton Eyed Joe's or its later incarnations, well, my wife and I are a little past that point in life. Golden Corral's early bird special is more our thing!

Thanks again...
And Golden Corral's weekend breakfast buffet!!

About the park:
As designed, a central plaza would be the focal point of the park with concentric rings that could shoot water 10 to 20 feet in the air.

Lose & Associates of Nashville also designed a six-sided gazebo structure to replicate a spring house at the Dixie Avenue entrance on the east side of the park, under which would be the reopening of the old town spring. It's an 1800s throwback to what spring houses would have looked like.

As designed, the spring would run to a proposed lake.

Other features of the park include amphitheater stone seating for 500 in front of the performance pavilion, restrooms, an open pavilion on the east side of the park that could be used for weddings and other events, a concession area and a playground area in between the amphitheater and the library parking lot.

The design also accounts for a proposed 25,000-square-foot expansion of the Putnam County Main Library and a relocation of the Cookeville History Museum to an area in front of the library.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:33 PM

26 posts, read 129,865 times
Default back to Cookeville

JMT, if you were to move back to Putnam County, what quadrant would you choose in relation to Cookeville, based on low traffic and newer housing? Thx for being so positve and upbeat, do you like it better than Cumberland County?

Old 08-07-2007, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossvibe View Post
JMT, if you were to move back to Putnam County, what quadrant would you choose in relation to Cookeville, based on low traffic and newer housing? Thx for being so positve and upbeat, do you like it better than Cumberland County?
Well, if money weren't an issue, I'd choose the area south of Algood and east of Cookeville. Look around Buck Mountain Road and Old Qualls Road. It's got some very upscale, new subdivisions and an absolutely beautiful golf course community (White Plains). I like the rolling hills of that area, too.

I also like Dry Valley, the area along Hwy 70 between Cookeville and Monterey. I never get tired of driving through that beautiful valley.

I do like Putnam County better than Cumberland County, but I can understand why some would prefer Cumberland County. I like the fact that Cookeville is a college town, and it's not a party school, either. All those college students give some energy to the city. The university also offers plenty of things to do: lectures, classes, theater, art exhibits, music recitals, concerts, and all kinds of sporting events. Being a college town, the public schools are also excellent, and that has brought a completely different kind of growth than what Cumberland County is experiencing.

I also like that Cookeville is closer to the Nashville airport than Cumberland County.

I hope I didn't offend any of our friends in Cumberland County with my views. Like I said, I prefer Putnam County, but I can understand that some people (particularly retirees) would prefer Cumberland County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville