Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 01:36 PM

338 posts, read 1,445,823 times

Advertisements

I think I figured out that a town upstate NY that has a population of 5000 is considered rural enough, we do not have any fast food restraunts (except for a small sub-way in a gas station), the pizza places are locally owned. We do not have a Wal-Mart(20 miles) or K-Mart (30 miles) or Target (50 miles)- no pizza hut, mcdonalds or burger king...just a small grocery store...but down South ( I believe) that when the popultaion is above 1500 you have all the stores listed above...so I am looking for a smaller town down South- because I don't mind having to drive to another town to shop...does that make sense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2006, 03:03 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,323,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathersmom View Post
I think I figured out that a town upstate NY that has a population of 5000 is considered rural enough, we do not have any fast food restraunts (except for a small sub-way in a gas station), the pizza places are locally owned. We do not have a Wal-Mart(20 miles) or K-Mart (30 miles) or Target (50 miles)- no pizza hut, mcdonalds or burger king...just a small grocery store...but down South ( I believe) that when the popultaion is above 1500 you have all the stores listed above...so I am looking for a smaller town down South- because I don't mind having to drive to another town to shop...does that make sense?
Sounds like the town I grew up in in CT! We moved out in 85' there was no movie theater, NO fast food places, just a few local owned grinder and pizza places and only 2 grocery stores to choose from. In 86', McDonalds came into that town, 88' they built a new HUGE grocery store, now there is every fast food place, pizza chain and an 8 plex movie theater! Boy do times change.

Old 09-17-2006, 10:27 PM

421 posts, read 1,691,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathersmom View Post
Well you've certainly found the place.Spencer has NONE of these things & won't anytime soon!!

firepower

Old 09-17-2006, 10:57 PM

240 posts, read 1,156,134 times
You never know. Spencer might get bigger and better. I don't think like cooksville, but with all the new land and development, something is going to happen, i hope.

Old 11-05-2009, 01:27 PM

11 posts, read 21,947 times
Default Sparta is nice

Very nice area in Sparta. Been here about 2 years. We found everything we need, along with a lovely hometown full of sweet people.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:37 AM

193 posts, read 512,544 times
I love hearing all the good things about Cookeville. We recently moved to Floyd, VA from Chicago and it's too small, rural and lonely for me. We are now thinking about a move to Cookeville, and plan a trip out there in the spring, if not sooner. Any additional info would be greatly appreciated as we don't want to move once again!!!

Old 11-09-2009, 12:46 PM

179 posts, read 453,115 times
There are several small towns surrounding Cookeville that may suite you better. Baxter and Monterey are both in Putnam Co, much smaller than Cookeville, and both high schools have football teams (and decent ones as well )). Also mentioned have been Sparta (White Co) and McMinnville (Warren Co). Livingston is really quaint as well (Overton Co). All of those have FB teams as well...

Old 11-09-2009, 12:47 PM

421 posts, read 1,691,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogluver View Post
I love hearing all the good things about Cookeville. We recently moved to Floyd, VA from Chicago and it's too small, rural and lonely for me. We are now thinking about a move to Cookeville, and plan a trip out there in the spring, if not sooner. Any additional info would be greatly appreciated as we don't want to move once again!!!
Well 3 years later & I'm still here on C-D...
What else specifically would you like to know?...

firepower

Old 11-09-2009, 03:01 PM

193 posts, read 512,544 times
The reason I feel Cookeville might suit me better is that I want a bigger city but with a small town feel. I'm from Chicago and miss all the culture, restaurants, things to do, parks, etc. We have nothing here in Floyd and it's very beautiful but lonely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville