Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 07:40 AM

13,355 posts, read 39,968,931 times

Advertisements

This totally caught me by surprise. Just after approving incentives for "Project Victor" which will bring 700 jobs to Cookeville, now there's "Project Uno" which will bring 1100 jobs. And it's on only 36 acres whereas "Victor" is on over 200 acres. So this doesn't sound like a distribution center thing. But, clearly, the state needs to fast-track the new Mine Lick Creek I-40 interchange.

Cumberland Business Journal

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 08-02-2014, 03:26 PM

78 posts, read 180,866 times
All these " Projects" are really lacking in transparency. When public funds are proffered there becomes an inherent right to know the who, what's and why; not just a carrot on a stick explanation.

What are they? Who's involved? Whose projection of jobs are being used? If there are good reasons for all this secrecy, spell it out!

Old 08-02-2014, 06:42 PM

869 posts, read 1,787,812 times
36 Acres, 110 jobs leads me to think office type jobs, probably a multi story building or complex. Would be a good get for this area.

Old 08-03-2014, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkman View Post
36 Acres, 110 jobs leads me to think office type jobs, probably a multi story building or complex. Would be a good get for this area.
Yeah 36 acres isn't much. That's about the size of the Norwalk property. At its peak I think the Norwalk plant had only about 500 employees, so putting 1100 people on a site that small would have to be something multi-story with more office type jobs. I can't imagine a call center that large. It'll be really interesting to see what this is.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 08-05-2014, 03:11 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,609,102 times
Commission approves first step to entice new industrial prospect

Folks are excited.....

Old 08-05-2014, 03:16 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Nice to see some of TN is getting growth, although it would be nice if more growth would come into eastern and western TN. The middle of the state seems to be getting all the action.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tragenvol View Post
I am VERY excited about this one. The 700-job announcement coming Friday is going to be great, but this 1,100-job prospect is even more exciting. Have you heard anything about what kinds of jobs these are or what kind of facility this is going to be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Nice to see some of TN is getting growth, although it would be nice if more growth would come into eastern and western TN. The middle of the state seems to be getting all the action.
Southeast Tennessee (Chattanooga and Cleveland) has gotten a lot of good economic news, and Memphis has gotten some, too (esp Electrolux). So has Maryville. But really, it's been decades since Cookeville has had any sexy economic news like we've had the last couple of weeks, and frankly it's about time.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 08-06-2014, 09:04 AM

1,115 posts, read 1,609,102 times
It was mentioned to me last night that there would be a second announcement on Friday as well concerning Project Uno; I am not sure how reliable this bit of news is....such an announcement would most likely be news from the City Council meeting Thursday night which will include similar items from the recent County Commission meeting concerning the incentive structure for the project...or there could be a real announcement....it seems it is progressing well with the county.

No idea about this one....is Uno named for the first project inside the new industrial park? Does it mean something else? 33 acres and $50 million investment with a potential 1100 employees sounds compact.....so maybe some sort of automotive parts facility.....?

Old 08-06-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tragenvol View Post
It was mentioned to me last night that there would be a second announcement on Friday as well concerning Project Uno; I am not sure how reliable this bit of news is....such an announcement would most likely be news from the City Council meeting Thursday night which will include similar items from the recent County Commission meeting concerning the incentive structure for the project...or there could be a real announcement....it seems it is progressing well with the county.

No idea about this one....is Uno named for the first project inside the new industrial park? Does it mean something else? 33 acres and $50 million investment with a potential 1100 employees sounds compact.....so maybe some sort of automotive parts facility.....?
Since the county commission approved their $1.25 million last night, I sure do hope the city council will do the same on Thursday. It would be pretty boneheaded of them not to help out. This money seems like a drop in the bucket compared to having over 1,000 more taxpayers in the area, not to mention all the ancillary jobs that will be created (more retail, restaurants, other services).

Council may advance UNO up to $1.25 million

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 08-10-2014, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon313 View Post
All these " Projects" are really lacking in transparency. When public funds are proffered there becomes an inherent right to know the who, what's and why; not just a carrot on a stick explanation.

What are they? Who's involved? Whose projection of jobs are being used? If there are good reasons for all this secrecy, spell it out!
A very good explanation on why deals such as these need to be shrouded in secrecy (from the public at least).

Economic development a sensitive -- and long -- process

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville