Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2020, 08:00 AM

44 posts, read 42,210 times

Advertisements

Heard about the tornado that hit. I've adopted Cookeville as my future hometown and am heartbroken for all those affected by the devastation. Praying for you all from NJ.

Fran
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2020, 08:12 AM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,651,590 times
Yeah, it was a tough night. I had just gone to bed when the sirens went off. Last count that I heard was 4 fatalities here and they are still searching house to house in the areas.

Old 03-03-2020, 08:26 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
It's up to 8 fatalities now. It was kind of a freak storm. When I went to bed last night the weather forecasters said the severe weather was probably going to be west of Nashville. Then at about 1:30am I was awoken by my phone buzzing about a tornado warning. The tornado did start west of Nashville but continued 200 miles, pretty much following I-40. East Nashville and Wilson County (Mt Juliet, Lebanon) got the brunt of it, but the area between Cookeville and Baxter was hit hard, too.

Echo Valley Pool before and after:

shared with permission

https://newstalk941.com/putnam-ema-r...ter-tornadoes/

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 03-03-2020, 08:36 AM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,651,590 times
We had been following the storm on TV and it appeared to me that the brunt was going to slide a bit north of us. I had been in bed about 30 seconds when the siren went off.

Reminds me of back in 1998 when tornadoes killed 42 people in the Orlando area. That one was only a couple of miles from us.

Old 03-03-2020, 08:56 AM

599 posts, read 276,222 times
I love the Cookeville area, and have considered moving there. I can't imagine being hit in the middle of the night to something like that. I"ve got a cousin in Morristown, and reported they just had severe storms - thank goodness. My Maryland town had a tornado in 2002 during the late afternoon, and that was bad enough.
Prayers to all in the area and across Tennessee.

Old 03-03-2020, 09:13 AM

1,115 posts, read 1,606,232 times
I've been told that 16 are dead in Putnam County; unsure if verified....but likely is....and may very well climb to a higher death toll.

Old 03-03-2020, 10:36 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tragenvol View Post
I've been told that 16 are dead in Putnam County; unsure if verified....but likely is....and may very well climb to a higher death toll.
In the press conference that mayors Porter and Shelton just held, they confirmed that 16 are confirmed dead although first responders are still canvassing the affected areas.

The Herald-Citizen has dropped its paywall until noon Friday in case people want to follow the story at their web site:

H-C Online free until noon Wednesday | Herald Citizen

In addition, there's a dire need for blood, so Blood Assurance has a couple of emergency mobile buses set up in front of Cookeville Regional Medical Center so people can donate.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 03-05-2020 at 06:32 PM..

Old 03-03-2020, 12:04 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,606,232 times
Charlton Square near Cookeville:

Old 03-03-2020, 12:13 PM

44 posts, read 42,210 times
I have to say, although I live in NJ, I feel a strong connection to Cookeville because my husband and I have been looking into moving down at some point in the future. I have already adopted it as my future hometown. I check the real estate listings daily, belong to numerous FB groups (and of course this forum). I have gotten so much positive feedback every time I ask a question. I feel so helpless right now. If there is anything I can do from a distance, please let me know. In the meantime you all will be in my prayers. And we're still hoping to make a trip down in the next couple of months.

Old 03-03-2020, 01:24 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Wow, I just heard about this. I'm so sorry for you guys, but glad to see our regulars checking in!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville