Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 05:27 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,529,975 times

Advertisements

The Flying Spaghetti Monster is now on display at the courthouse in Crossville. Shows how open minded they are in Crossville.....

Crossville Chronicle, Crossville, TN - Flying Spaghetti Monster takes up residence at county courthouse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 06:49 PM

13,355 posts, read 39,974,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
The Flying Spaghetti Monster is now on display at the courthouse in Crossville. Shows how open minded they are in Crossville.....

Crossville Chronicle, Crossville, TN - Flying Spaghetti Monster takes up residence at county courthouse
When I see something that hideous in front of such a beautiful old building as the Cumberland County Courthouse, "open minded" isn't the expression that comes to my mind.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:58 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,529,975 times
I agree, But to show how open minded Crossville is I figured I would post the article. Art is in the eye of the beholder..........

Old 06-01-2008, 10:15 PM

445 posts, read 1,683,328 times
Default JMT we see eye to eye..spaghetti monster eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
When I see something that hideous in front of such a beautiful old building as the Cumberland County Courthouse, "open minded" isn't the expression that comes to my mind.
I don't have any words to say.. not nice words that is.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:52 AM

427 posts, read 1,308,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
I agree, But to show how open minded Crossville is I figured I would post the article. Art is in the eye of the beholder..........
I think it's a beautiful sign of American religious freedom and diversity. Thanks for posting it!

Old 06-02-2008, 09:44 AM

7,542 posts, read 17,238,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Oh, come on, JMT. I think it's a beautiful expression of the wide-ranging beliefs of humanity, and illustrative of two of our best qualities:

1) The ability to make fun of ourselves; and
2) Hmm, I forgot the other one, because someone is sitting beside me and will NOT stop talking to me... but... I'll think of it, sometime!

Old 06-02-2008, 11:11 AM

375 posts, read 1,097,371 times
Personally I like it much better than that tinker toy Nashville just dropped a pile of the people's money on. I think it's a cool way to run a public art exhibit. It's local art and doesn't cost the government any money. If it represents the variety of local beliefs, religious and otherwise, then that is as it should be.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:49 PM

13,355 posts, read 39,974,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarddawg View Post
Personally I like it much better than that tinker toy Nashville just dropped a pile of the people's money on. I think it's a cool way to run a public art exhibit. It's local art and doesn't cost the government any money. If it represents the variety of local beliefs, religious and otherwise, then that is as it should be.
If you're referring to that roller coaster thing across the river from downtown Nashville, I agree. It was a colossal waste of taxpayer money.

Frankly I don't know why the good people of Crossville felt they needed to put "art" in their courthouse's front lawn to begin with. If there were an ugly intersection in town that needed sprucing up, that's one thing. But why make a mockery of the stately courthouse with such artistic expressions which were clearly made to be provocative?

If the goal is to show just how open-minded Crossville is, I guess I can understand that. Crossville is notorious for its very intolerant and racist past so I suppose I can see why they want the world to think they're now so open-minded and all.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:11 PM

7,542 posts, read 17,238,441 times
I think that would be a very vain and self-serving goal, though. Hopefully the government and/or citizens of Crossville are just trying to be open to all of humanity!

Old 06-04-2008, 07:19 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,411,391 times
Clearly I need to read up on this phenomenon. I've heard of it but have no idea what it's about. [off to research]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville