|Median resident age:||27.1 years|
|Tennessee median age:||39.3 years|
Zip codes: 38340.
Henderson city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $105,908 (it was $75,200 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2012: $617.
- White alone - 5,172 (81.3%)
- Black alone - 927 (14.6%)
- Hispanic - 86 (1.4%)
- American Indian alone - 48 (0.8%)
- Asian alone - 54 (0.8%)
- Two or more races - 54 (0.8%)
|Moving to Henderson, TN..how is it? (10 replies)|
|Sold property in IL, ready to look near Jackson, TN (37 replies)|
|Question About Tennessee Black Bear (20 replies)|
|Looking for a small safe town in Tennessee to raise our kids (10 replies)|
|Commute comparisons - Henderson and Nolensville . . . (12 replies)|
|The better place to live: Gallatin or Hendersonville? (10 replies)|
Latest news from Henderson, TN collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: English (15.9%), United States (14.6%), Irish (12.9%), German (6.7%), Scottish (4.7%), French (2.5%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Incorporated in 1869
Elevation: 462 feet
Land area: 5.72 square miles.
|Population density: 1,116 people per square mile||(low).|
For population 25 years and over in Henderson:
- High school or higher: 77.9%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 13.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 7.8%
- Unemployed: 10.4%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 28.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Henderson city:
- Never married: 46.0%
- Now married: 32.7%
- Separated: 2.1%
- Widowed: 8.9%
- Divorced: 10.3%
130 residents are foreign born (0.2% Latin America).
According to our research of Tennessee and other state lists there were 23 registered sex offenders living in Henderson, Tennessee as of January 27, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Henderson to the number of sex offenders is 277 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2012: $747 (0.7%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2012: $508 (0.5%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Jackson, TN (16.5 miles , pop. 59,643).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Memphis, TN (78.2 miles , pop. 650,100).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (445.6 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: West Chester, TN (2.0 miles ), Finger, TN (2.5 miles ), Pinson, TN (2.7 miles ), East Chester, TN (2.9 miles ), Silerton, TN (3.4 miles) , Medon, TN (3.6 miles) , Enville, TN (3.6 miles ), Luray, TN (3.7 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 41 buildings, average cost: $75,800
- 1998: 78 buildings, average cost: $51,300
- 1999: 75 buildings, average cost: $72,400
- 2000: 63 buildings, average cost: $80,000
- 2001: 34 buildings, average cost: $70,100
- 2002: 40 buildings, average cost: $65,000
- 2003: 39 buildings, average cost: $81,500
- 2004: 40 buildings, average cost: $74,700
- 2005: 115 buildings, average cost: $69,400
- 2006: 45 buildings, average cost: $70,600
- 2007: 38 buildings, average cost: $62,000
- 2008: 27 buildings, average cost: $87,700
- 2009: 30 buildings, average cost: $84,900
- 2010: 27 buildings, average cost: $83,000
- 2011: 11 buildings, average cost: $113,600
- 2012: 19 buildings, average cost: $78,600
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 35.44 N, Longitude: 88.64 W
Daytime population change due to commuting: +1,235 (+19.4%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 1,174 (50.7%)
Area code: 731
|Crime rates in Henderson by Year|
|City-data.com crime rate (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 298.9)||267.3||304.0||274.7||384.6||398.8||341.4||314.4||264.3||331.4||300.8||260.0||229.2|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Henderson detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||2.36|
Historical housing units
Population change in the 1990s: +555 (+10.9%).
- Construction (21%)
- Manufacturing (16%)
- Educational services (11%)
- Retail trade (10%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (10%)
- Public administration (8%)
- Other services, except public administration (6%)
- Educational services (21%)
- Manufacturing (20%)
- Health care and social assistance (17%)
- Retail trade (14%)
- Accommodation and food services (7%)
- Public administration (5%)
- Finance and insurance (5%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (11%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (9%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (7%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (5%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (5%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (4%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (4%)
- Cashiers (7%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (6%)
- Other teachers and instructors, education, training, and library occupations (5%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (5%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (5%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (4%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (4%)
Average climate in Henderson, Tennessee
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Henderson-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Tennessee state average. It is 91% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 1/17/1999, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 13.1 miles away from the Henderson city center killed 6 people and injured 106 people and caused $10 million in damages.
On 4/3/1956, a category F4 tornado 13.6 miles away from the city center killed 3 people and injured 60 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Henderson-area historical earthquake activity is near Tennessee state average. It is 74% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 3/25/1976 at 00:41:20, a magnitude 5.0 (4.9 MB, 5.0 LG, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 95.6 miles away from the city center
On 5/4/1991 at 01:18:54, a magnitude 5.0 (4.4 MB, 4.6 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 101.8 miles away from Henderson center
On 9/26/1990 at 13:18:51, a magnitude 5.0 (4.7 MB, 4.8 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 7.7 mi) earthquake occurred 129.2 miles away from the city center
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi) earthquake occurred 212.3 miles away from the city center
On 4/27/1989 at 16:47:49, a magnitude 4.7 (4.6 MB, 4.7 LG, 4.3 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 74.1 miles away from Henderson center
On 6/18/2002 at 17:37:15, a magnitude 5.0 (4.3 MB, 4.6 MW, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 182.4 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Chester County (10) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 9
Emergencies Declared: 1
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 8, Storms: 8, Tornadoes: 4, Winds: 2, Flash Flood: 1, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Dorsey B. Hardeman - Texas politician, Jack Dalton (baseball) - Baseball player, Eddy Arnold - musician.
Hospitals and medical centers in Henderson:
Other hospitals and medical centers near Henderson:
- DAVITA SOUTH JACKSON (Dialysis Facility, about 14 miles away; JACKSON, TN)
- LAURELWOOD HEALTHCARE CENTER (Nursing Home, about 15 miles away; JACKSON, TN)
- (CLOSED) CLOVERDALE TRACE HC AND REHAB (Nursing Home, about 15 miles away; JACKSON, TN)
- JACKSON MANOR (Nursing Home, about 15 miles away; JACKSON, TN)
- MISSION CONVALESCENT HOME (Nursing Home, about 16 miles away; JACKSON, TN)
- COUNTRY HOSPICE (Hospital, about 16 miles away; JACKSON, TN)
- PROCARE SUPPORT SERVICES INC (Hospital, about 16 miles away; JACKSON, TN)
College/University in Henderson:
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Henderson:
- Jackson State Community College (about 17 miles; Jackson, TN; Full-time enrollment: 2,958)
- Union University (about 21 miles; Jackson, TN; FT enrollment: 4,051)
- Bethel University (about 49 miles; McKenzie, TN; FT enrollment: 5,878)
- Northeast Mississippi Community College (about 54 miles; Booneville, MS; FT enrollment: 3,024)
- Dyersburg State Community College (about 60 miles; Dyersburg, TN; FT enrollment: 2,211)
- The University of Tennessee-Martin (about 64 miles; Martin, TN; FT enrollment: 7,013)
- University of North Alabama (about 71 miles; Florence, AL; FT enrollment: 5,886)
Public high school in Henderson:
- Chester County High School (Students: 780; Location: 552 East Main Street; Grades: 9-12)
Public elementary/middle schools in Henderson:
- Chester County Middle School (Students: 637; Location: 634 E Main Street; Grades: 4-6)
- Chester County Junior High School (Students: 440; Location: 930 E Main Street; Grades: 7-8)
- East Chester Elementary School (Students: 419; Location: 708 E Main Street; Grades: K-3)
- W Chester Elementary School (Students: 316; Location: 1243 W Main Street; Grades: K-3)
User submitted facts and corrections:
- Love and Truth Church located on the 45 bypass is an awesome spirit-filled home church that has changed my life.If you're looking for God and can't find him,come here.Just give it a chance.I did and it was the best thing that I have done in a long time.They have a wonderful praise band and a great place for the kids and teens.My daughter is in fusion and they rock the house with praise for the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords.In God's Grace.
Notable locations in Henderson: Henderson Industrial Park (A), Chester County Fire Department Headquarters (B), Henderson Fire Department Station 2 (C), Henderson City Hall (D), Chester County Nursing Home (E), Chester County Courthouse (F), Henderson Fire Department (G). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Henderson include: Cool Springs Baptist Church (A), First Pentecostal Church (B), First United Methodist Church (C), Henderson Church of Christ (D), Sanford Hill Baptist Church (E), Henderson First Baptist Church (F). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemetery: Henderson Cemetery (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Parks in Henderson include: Memorial Park (1), Dixie Youth Park (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Hotels: College Inn (278 North Church Avenue Ofc), College Inn Motel (278 North Church Avenue Ofc), Americana Inn (550 Sanford Street).
Courts: Chester County - County Court Clerk (133 East Main Street), Chester County - General Sessions Circuit Court Clerk- Circuit Court C (133 East Main Street).
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 43.1. This is significantly better than average.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2011 was 15.5. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 15.0 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 8.80. This is about average. Closest monitor was 15.0 miles away from the city center.
Drinking water stations with addresses in Henderson that have no violations reported:
- HENDERSON WATER DEPT. (Population served: 7413, Primary Water Source Type: Groundwater)
(16.1% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 44.2% for Black residents, 47.4% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 100.0% for American Indian residents, 0.0% for other race residents, 59.3% for two or more races residents)
|This city:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.2% of all households
- Gay men: 0.1% of all households
People in group quarters in Henderson in 2010:
- 1,087 people in college/university student housing
- 127 people in nursing facilities/skilled-nursing facilities
- 23 people in local jails and other municipal confinement facilities
People in group quarters in Henderson in 2000:
- 935 people in college dormitories (includes college quarters off campus)
- 136 people in nursing homes
- 25 people in local jails and other confinement facilities (including police lockups)
Henderson compared to Tennessee state average:
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in above state average.
- Number of college students significantly above state average.
Banks with branches in Henderson (2011 data):
- Clayton Bank and Trust: Old Main Office Branch, East Branch, North Henderson Drive-In Branch. Info updated 2011/11/16: Bank assets: $628.8 mil, Deposits: $500.3 mil, headquarters in Knoxville, TN, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 14 total offices, Holding Company: Clayton Bancorp, Inc
- Chester County Bank: at Main And Franklin Streets, East Main Branch, Henderson Branch. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $62.6 mil, Deposits: $54.8 mil, local headquarters, positive income, 4 total offices, Holding Company: Chester County Bancshares, Inc.
- The Peoples Bank: Henderson Branch at 573 East Main Street, branch established on 1999/12/24. Info updated 2010/06/02: Bank assets: $74.8 mil, Deposits: $68.0 mil, headquarters in Sardis, TN, positive income, 4 total offices, Holding Company: 1st Jackson Bancshares, Inc.
- Regions Bank: Henderson Branch at 611 North Church Street, branch established on 1998/05/18. Info updated 2011/02/24: Bank assets: $123,368.2 mil, Deposits: $98,301.3 mil, headquarters in Birmingham, AL, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 1778 total offices, Holding Company: Regions Financial Corporation
- Decatur County Bank: West Tennessee Bank, A Division Of at 1007 U. S. Highway 45 North, branch established on 2010/07/19. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $90.2 mil, Deposits: $77.5 mil, headquarters in Decaturville, TN, negative income in the last year, Commercial Lending Specialization, 3 total offices, Holding Company: Decatur Bancshares, Inc
- First State Bank: First State Mortgage - Henderson Lpo at 102 South Cason, branch established on 2006/02/21. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $1,646.2 mil, Deposits: $1,393.0 mil, headquarters in Union City, TN, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 32 total offices, Holding Company: Community First Bancshares, Inc.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2012
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2012
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (57%)
- Electricity (42%)
- Wood (1%)
- No fuel used (1%)
Religion statistics for Henderson city (based on Chester County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 50.60%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Southern Baptist Convention||Churches of Christ||United Methodist Church||Cumberland Presbyterian Church||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Chester County:||3.11 / 10,000 pop.|
|Tennessee:||1.99 / 10,000 pop.|
|Chester County:||4.97 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.16 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||2.49 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.56 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2007)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||4||$8,050||$24,150||0||$0|
|Judicial and Legal||0||$0||1||$1,107|
|Police Protection - Officers||13||$44,586||$41,156||0||$0|
|Police - Other||0||$0||1||$620|
|Streets and Highways||6||$16,913||$33,826||0||$0|
|Solid Waste Management||6||$11,725||$23,450||0||$0|
|Parks and Recreation||0||$0||1||$1,306|
|Other and Unallocable||3||$8,336||$33,344||2||$2,582|
|Totals for Government||56||$152,765||$32,735||5||$5,615|
8.96% of this county's 2006 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 200532,030 ($ average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2005 and 2006.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2005 and 2006:
|from Madison County, TN||2.16% ($31,432 average AGI)|
|from McNairy County, TN||0.70% ($28,000)|
|from Henderson County, TN||0.47% ($30,625)|
7.54% of this county's 2005 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 200630,948 ($ average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2005 and 2006.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2005 and 2006:
Strongest AM radio stations in Henderson:
- WCRV (640 AM; 50 kW; COLLIERVILLE, TN; Owner: BOTT BROADCASTING COMPANY/TENNESSEE)
- WTJS (1390 AM; 5 kW; JACKSON, TN; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WDXI (1310 AM; 5 kW; JACKSON, TN; Owner: LIBERTY RADIO II, INC.)
- WGSF (1030 AM; 50 kW; MEMPHIS, TN; Owner: FLINN BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WDIA (1070 AM; 50 kW; MEMPHIS, TN; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WMQM (1600 AM; 50 kW; LAKELAND, TN; Owner: WMQM, INC.)
- WSM (650 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: GAYLORD ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY)
- WCPC (940 AM; 50 kW; HOUSTON, MS; Owner: WCPC BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WKDA (1200 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: RADIO NASHVILLE, INC.)
- WNQM (1300 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: WNQM. INC.)
- WAMB (1160 AM; 50 kW; DONELSON, TN; Owner: GREAT SOUTHERN BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WJAK (1460 AM; 1 kW; JACKSON, TN; Owner: JAMES E. WOLFE, JR.)
- WDTM (1150 AM; daytime; 1 kW; SELMER, TN; Owner: RADIO STATION WDTM, INC)
Strongest FM radio stations in Henderson:
- WHHM-FM (107.7 FM; HENDERSON, TN; Owner: THOMAS RADIO, LLC)
- WFHC (91.5 FM; HENDERSON, TN; Owner: FREED-HARDEMAN UNIVERSITY)
- WFKX (95.7 FM; HENDERSON, TN; Owner: THOMAS RADIO, LLC)
- WMXX-FM (103.1 FM; JACKSON, TN; Owner: GERALD W. HUNT)
- WTNV (104.1 FM; JACKSON, TN; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WKNP (90.1 FM; JACKSON, TN; Owner: MID-SOUTH PUBLIC COMMUNICTNS FOUNDTN)
- WIGH (88.7 FM; LEXINGTON, TN; Owner: AMERICAN FAMILY ASSOCIATION)
- WYNU (92.3 FM; MILAN, TN; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WNWS-FM (101.5 FM; JACKSON, TN; Owner: RADIOCORP OF JACKSON, INC.)
- WWYN (106.9 FM; MCKENZIE, TN; Owner: RAINBOW MEDIA, INC.)
- WXOQ (105.5 FM; SELMER, TN; Owner: GERALD W. HUNT)
- WSIB (93.9 FM; SELMER, TN; Owner: WDTM INC)
- WOJG (94.7 FM; BOLIVAR, TN; Owner: JOHNNY W. SHAW & OPAL J. SHAW)
- WMOD (96.7 FM; BOLIVAR, TN; Owner: WMOD, INC.)
- WYDL (100.7 FM; MIDDLETON, TN; Owner: FLINN BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
TV broadcast stations around Henderson:
- WBBJ-TV (Channel 7; JACKSON, TN; Owner: TENNESSEE BROADCASTING PARTNERS)
- W25BY (Channel 25; JACKSON, TN; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- W38BY (Channel 38; JACKSON, TN; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- W54BU (Channel 54; JACKSON, TN; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- W22BR (Channel 22; JACKSON, TN; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- W52CZ (Channel 52; JACKSON, TN; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- W64BZ (Channel 64; JACKSON, TN; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- WJTE-LP (Channel 19; JACKSON, TN; Owner: TIGER EYE BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- W26CJ (Channel 26; JACKSON, TN; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- WLJT (Channel 11; LEXINGTON, TN; Owner: WEST TENNESSEE PUBLIC TV COUNCIL, INC)
- W35AH (Channel 35; JACKSON, TN; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- WJKT (Channel 16; JACKSON, TN; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- W46CG (Channel 46; JACKSON, TN; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- W34BU (Channel 34; ACTON, TN; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- W06AW (Channel 6; SELMER, TN; Owner: WDTM, INC.)
- W62CK (Channel 62; ACTON, TN; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- Fatal accident count: 28
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents: 44
- Fatal accidents caused by drunken drivers: 13
- Fatalities: 30
- Persons involved in fatal accidents: 66
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents: 3
- Fatal accident count: 149
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents: 235
- Fatal accidents caused by drunken drivers: 52
- Fatalities: 164
- Persons involved in fatal accidents: 379
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents: 14
Total length: 80 meters (262ft)
Total costs: $5,841,000
Total average daily traffic: 63,480
Total average daily truck traffic: 3,796
FCC Registered Antenna Towers: 38 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers: 9 (See the full list of FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers in Henderson, TN)
FCC Registered Broadcast Land Mobile Towers: 2 (See the full list of FCC Registered Broadcast Land Mobile Towers)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers: 11 (See the full list of FCC Registered Microwave Towers in this town)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses: 71 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Henderson)
FAA Registered Aircraft: 17 (See the full list of FAA Registered Aircraft in Henderson)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 82
- Hazardous Condition: 15
- Service Call: 9
- Good Intent Call: 3
Incident types - Henderson
|Most common first names in Henderson, TN among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Henderson, TN among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
|Businesses in Henderson, TN|
Total of 8 patent applications in 2008-2015.