Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 04:38 PM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,804,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I wasn't as hysterical last night, but I had pain killers!

Don't you all wish I had those all the time?
I thought about you when I read that post. And you live in a mobile home, too? I've lived in one, and yes, during tornado warnings, in a mobile home, you're extra sensitive to the dangers.

I hope you can move out of there hiknapster!

blessings, Shen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2007, 06:05 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenandoah View Post
I thought about you when I read that post. And you live in a mobile home, too? I've lived in one, and yes, during tornado warnings, in a mobile home, you're extra sensitive to the dangers.

I hope you can move out of there hiknapster!

blessings, Shen
Thanks for thinking of me.

Being in a mobile home doesn't help, but last month in Alabama, a tornado tore apart a brick high school, killing 20 people. No where is really safe in a tornado, unless, maybe, you are underground.

Old 04-27-2007, 06:29 PM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,804,856 times
Quote:
No where is really safe in a tornado, unless, maybe, you are underground.
My dad had built an earth sheltered home 30 years ago. Wish it was still in the family, but it had to get sold after he died. There, you don't worry about tornadoes.

blessings, Shen

Old 04-28-2007, 09:05 AM

5,985 posts, read 4,379,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenandoah View Post
My dad had built an earth sheltered home 30 years ago. Wish it was still in the family, but it had to get sold after he died. There, you don't worry about tornadoes.

blessings, Shen
I would not panic because of the recent tornadoes. Most places in East Tennessee only have one about once in a hundred years.

Old 04-28-2007, 09:56 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
I would not panic because of the recent tornadoes. Most places in East Tennessee only have one about once in a hundred years.
When I was in Tennessee last October they had one in Morgan County that did property damage (ripping of roofs, garages, etc.) in a town called Mossy Grove which is in East Tennessee (adjacent to Anderson and Roane counties). Four years before that (2002) a tornado hit the same town and 8 people died according to CNN.

http://archives.cnn.com/2002/WEATHER...rms/index.html

I think it goes back to the "touched down" issue. I know that we get tornado warnings where I live now but they don't seem to touch down.

Old 04-28-2007, 11:23 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,238,441 times
The 2002 tornadoes, some of which hit Mossy Grove, were a pretty freak thing for this area. It was a large system, as I recall. So, that's really more of the exception to the rule. Ridgerunner's right - in all of my years in Greene County, I can't even remember there being one large-scale tornado (Mossy Grove size). The wind here can get exceptionally brutal and small tornados form, raise hell, then disappear.

Old 04-28-2007, 11:41 AM

5,985 posts, read 4,379,635 times
Quote:

Being in a mobile home doesn't help, but last month in Alabama, a tornado tore apart a brick high school, killing 20 people. No where is really safe in a tornado, unless, maybe, you are underground.
Yeah, if you get a direct hit any home becomes mobile.

Old 04-28-2007, 01:47 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Rigerunner: Isn't that the truth? You are so funny!

From what I've seen, and checking the national weather service records, it seems that east of Knoxville, and beyond, you see very few, if any, tornadoes. That's another reason for me to move further east!

Old 04-28-2007, 03:33 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,238,441 times
I'd hazard a quite uneducated guess that the mountain system has a lot to do with deterring them tornaders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville