Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 05:49 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,583,688 times

Advertisements

Crossville is known primarily as a retirement community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 07:38 AM

5 posts, read 15,270 times
I just want to say "Thank you" to all who have repkied. Undoubtedly this will not be an easy decision and will take more research. Again thank you all so much...

Old 10-07-2009, 08:59 AM

24,767 posts, read 28,512,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alival 38 View Post
I just want to say "Thank you" to all who have replied. Undoubtedly this will not be an easy decision and will take more research. Again thank you all so much...
You can also look east.... Knoxville depending where your located is less than a hours drive on I-40. Just about any where in Tennessee is beautiful with less than a 3-4 hour drive.... you have hills ~ mountains~rivers ~ creeks ~ water falls.And all the beautiful State Parks...so many off the road places to explore..And history of Tennessee will keep you going for years..

Old 10-08-2009, 12:46 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,677,508 times
Crossville schools are only good if your kids are into sports. If you want them to get an education you may want to look elsewhere.
There is a music academy, 4-H, girl scouts (I was not impressed with leaders), and the library and parks offer kid programs once in a while. If you go to church you're more likely to fit in and find things to do in Crossville. I know quite a few people who have put their kids into Christian schools and who are homeschooled.
The crime is nonexistent compared to Florida. People are nicer. The Pace is slower. It will be hard to find work in Crossville. I have thought about moving to Cookeville, maybe next year after my son graduates and starts going to community college.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:39 PM

15 posts, read 63,723 times
IMO, Crossville is a pretty decent place to live..of course, I came from a horrible crime-infested town so at that time, anywhere else was looking pretty good!! It still has its drug problems and crime, but that is everywhere.

While Crossville does have Wal-Mart and the outlet mall, most people travel to Cookeville or Knoxville for the shopping.

Schools are not all that, and I hate to offend anyone, but the woman in charge of the schools who will not be named (i will bite my tongue!!!) has really messed them up since she took the position. The children were not able to begin school last year when they were supposed to due to budgeting problems, so if they "run out" of money again, there could be a problem with the schools starting when they are supposed to.

While there may not be much to do here for some people, I do enjoy it...the scenery is beautiful and you are semi close to larger towns with much more to do.

Old 11-13-2009, 01:25 PM

80 posts, read 258,173 times
The schools in Crossville aren't as bad as some would have you believe. In fact, some of them are very good. The school system in Cumberland County gets a bad rep because the county commission and the BOE were playing some hardball with each other on budget issues last year. Has nothing to do with how the children are being educated. School has started right on time this year. The BOE here is very ambitious. Seems like a new school pops up every few years.

Crossville has some of the lowest property taxes in the state. Housing and the cost of living are generally less than surrounding counties.

There are plenty of stores and restaurants here, but some people do travel to Knoxville to do their shopping.

Cumberland County has some great resort communities with beautiful lakes.

The crime in Crossville is somewhat high.

As some have already said, you should definitely visit any area before you ever decide to move there. May not be your bag of tea after you really see it.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:13 PM

2 posts, read 4,894 times
don't

Old 02-03-2010, 12:43 PM

536 posts, read 413,779 times
Wow that video helped me a lot. I can leave this town on my list for sure. We were going to move to Virginia near a friend and look once we moved there but now the wife is talking about moving to crossville. Seems like a lovely town.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:07 AM

3 posts, read 5,140 times
We are considering Crossville as a relocation point. Can anyone tell me about registering vehicles from out-of-state. Do you have to pay a sales tax on vehicles when moving there from another state? Is there a personal property tax on vehicles? We are both retired, my husband is a 100% disabled veteran and our RV was exempt from tax here in Arizona when we bought it last year. We don't want to move to a place that is going to tax us to death! Also, we like Irish music, and the bar/pub scene. Any suggestions and/or info would be appreciated!

Old 04-30-2010, 03:28 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,946,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishwoman View Post
We are considering Crossville as a relocation point. Can anyone tell me about registering vehicles from out-of-state. Do you have to pay a sales tax on vehicles when moving there from another state? Is there a personal property tax on vehicles? We are both retired, my husband is a 100% disabled veteran and our RV was exempt from tax here in Arizona when we bought it last year. We don't want to move to a place that is going to tax us to death! Also, we like Irish music, and the bar/pub scene. Any suggestions and/or info would be appreciated!
You only pay sales tax on a vehicle if you bought it within 6 months of moving to Tennessee. I think it's 6 months. Otherwise, no sales tax. And there is no personal property tax in Tennessee. On anything. Zilch, nada. That includes cars. Over all, the Tax Foundation shows Tennessee's over all tax burden as being slightly lower than Arizona's.

As far as the pub scene in Crossville, I had to laugh out loud at that one. How much do you know about Crossville? There might be a couple of honky tonks in Crossville, and I think a couple of restaurants there serve liquor by the drink. And I seriously doubt there's much Irish music around there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville