Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2011, 08:59 PM

1 posts, read 21,138 times

Advertisements

I am closing on a house next week sometime and the 2nd story floor is uneven in the door way of one of the bedrooms. When you walk into the bed room from the hall way it kind of slopes down. It doesn't give way under my wieght and it doesn't squeak or groan. THe inspector said its not a foundation problem and the foundation has been fixed recently. THe sellers originally said they would fix it and had a "handy man" look at it. My realtor tells me that the handy man hasn't contacted the sellers after looking at the house and that was two days ago. Now all of a sudden the sellers are saying they will give me a $150 allowance to fix the second story since its cosmetic. I've already shelled out allot of money to get inspections and all these other expenses. I don't want to have to hire another kind of inspector if I don't have to. Can anyone give me advice? Its my first home and i feel lost...
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 06:03 AM

484 posts, read 1,631,332 times
My advice,,, walk away. You've paid a few hundred $'s for the inspections to save you many headaches while you live there, and many more thousands at resale time. A house with structural problems is very difficult to sell. If the 2nd floor is not level this is a huge red flag IMHO. I very much doubt the $150 allowance the seller offered will cover major renovation cost to fix the problem.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:28 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
You might consider asking the moderators to move this to the real estate forum.

Other than that, you should be talking to your real estate agent and maybe a lawyer to see what your options are. You need more advice than you can get in this forum.

You can only walk away without repercussions if you're still in your option period. Otherwise, you might lose the money you paid to the title company. In any case, walking now is better than buying a house if you're unsure about the foundation.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:23 AM

Marlow:

Agreed,,, but, buying a bad house is a terrible choice when there are so many good houses out there at reasonable prices. Seek advice from knowledgeable sources. This forum is not who you need to be talking to. You need sound legal advice. Your investment in inspection fees may be lost, but would you rather lose your entire investment later? Think about it.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:24 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,052,964 times
In my opinion as an architect who has renovated numerous structures, $150 won't pay for much work. There is substantial risk it will cost more to repair. Even if the foundation doesn't have any problems there could be concealed rot or termites in the structure which is causing the problem. Inspectors typically take no responsibility for concealed conditions. No one can say for sure that it is cosmetic until they open up the wall or flooring to see what caused the problem. By offering you $150 they are saying you should take all the risk of what it will take to fix the problem, instead of them fixing it. I would want more money to take on the unknowns of what it will take to repair the problem, say $1,000. The original agreement was that they would fix it, if they want out of that agreement they need to compensate you for it. $150 is not enough.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:56 PM

$1,000 isn't squat. Last year we discovered a leak in the roof over one of the guest bedrooms and had to repair and replace one whole wall. The bill to repair that was over $9,000, + getting the A/C system flushed and cleaned to make sure there was no mold in the ducts, and then to replace the damaged flooring.

Quality repair work isn't cheap

Old 04-27-2011, 07:38 PM

38 posts, read 135,622 times
If the floor is not level and the foundation in fact is good then it is possible that the floor joists are slightly deflected meaning for some reason the joists are sagging. A handy man is incapable of fixing such a problem!!! You would need a real contractor and it will easily cost more than a few thousand if not a lot more. And if the owner says that is cosmetic I would smack them upside their head. Painting a wall is cosmetic floors sloping that is unacceptable. I am an architect take my advice call a REAL contractor not a handy man and have the contractor take a look give his opinion and an estimate to fix, and then demand the sellers pay for the repairs. And please tell them from me - unlevel floors are not "cosmetic." And any decent contractor would not charge you to take a look and provide a cost estimate.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:53 PM

Thank you, Jorge,,, my point exactly.

Walk, avilacm, away while you can.

Last edited by jbtx; 04-27-2011 at 08:21 PM..

Old 05-12-2011, 11:01 PM

11 posts, read 55,680 times
can you tell me who you used as an inspector so I make sure I don't hire them in the month or so as I am buying my first house. you can befriend me and we can do this via email and not here as I am new here and not sure if we are allowed to post names of people, especially if its negative or you can just give the initials here if you want...thanks so much and i agree with everyone. I hope you get out with minimal loss
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
View detailed profiles of: