Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2011, 05:10 PM

11 posts, read 55,698 times

Advertisements

We are placing a big very soon on a house in Calallen area (NORTHWEST) Corpus Christi and we are in need of a house inspector. The house had previous foundation repair, which is quite normal I hear in the area due to the clay/soil issues and I obtained a copy of the report, but we still want a structural engineering so we are hoping we can find a all in one expert to do the inspection. I don't want to go with a real estate agent choice, not that they offered, but I know better...i am hoping someone here can tell me of their own experience with one. Please also state why you recommended them and about the cost. I know they can go high, and we are ok with making that investment...please help so we can feel comfortable with the choice..thank you so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 06:38 AM

574 posts, read 1,640,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbessac View Post
We are placing a big very soon on a house in Calallen area (NORTHWEST) Corpus Christi and we are in need of a house inspector. The house had previous foundation repair, which is quite normal I hear in the area due to the clay/soil issues and I obtained a copy of the report, but we still want a structural engineering so we are hoping we can find a all in one expert to do the inspection. I don't want to go with a real estate agent choice, not that they offered, but I know better...i am hoping someone here can tell me of their own experience with one. Please also state why you recommended them and about the cost. I know they can go high, and we are ok with making that investment...please help so we can feel comfortable with the choice..thank you so much
Smart move to find your own!

You might have to import an all in one type from San Antonio or Houston. What you might want to consider is using one of each, the home inspector for an all around and the engineer for the foundation and structural review. Many of the foundation companies in Texas will provide free foundation reviews and you can start with one of them just for the foundation to see if you want to keep going. The foundation company might find enough that turns you off on the house. Then you can always not bring in the home inspector or engineer and save the money for the next house.

There are probably not many home inspectors in your area so you can go to the real estate licensing agency web site and the engineers web site to cross check names to see if one is licensed as both in your area. Those web sites are TREC - Inspector Main Page Texas Board of Professional Engineers Homepage. Start by listing the home inspectors and then crosscheck their names on the engineers web site. You might find an all in one that way.

As for how good they are it is all a crap shoot. One person might well have a good experience and then you not. Get samples of their reports and compare them to see who is the more detailed. Check their license agencies and see if they have had any complaints against them. Google search their names and see if something shows up you like or don't like. Some of these inspectors and engineers post really dumb stuff on bulletin boards.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:12 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,718,061 times
We hired RHOCO Real Estate Inspection Service in CC and were very happy with the man who came out. He was very thorough, and in fact, we ended up not buying the first house we had a contract on because he pointed out so many problems. He is not a structural engineer so you might have to do that separately since you are concerned about it, but for a general inspector I highly recommend him.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:14 PM

Default thank you both

I am so happy to get two responses..that has helped alot
I will take your tips and offers and go with it..if your inspector found that much wrong, that's what i want to hear. my friend used one in CC and she said they did not find a single thing wrong with it and even with a new house, you should find something..haha..i will let you know how it goes
many mahalos as we say in hawaii for thank you

Old 05-26-2011, 10:53 PM

Default House inspector

Marlow, we wound up with Bob with RHOCO Real Estate Inspection Service in CC...he was awesome!!!!! He was just what I needed, someone dependent, detailed, picky, had a great eye for detail and makes you feel HE KNOWS what he's talking about...He's also very good a telling you the majors vs the minors. The worries now vs the worries much later down the road or even further down..Thank you sooooooooo much...Hey anyone, need a home inspector, Choose BOB, he is exactly the man to do a home inspection before you buy. He's affordable, NOT CHEAP, but on a home inspection you don't want CHEAP...as he probably says you get what you pay for...Still not sure if we are taking the house, but would use him again if we put a bid on a different house...On to plumbing inspections....

Old 05-27-2011, 09:46 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,718,061 times
So glad that worked out for you. That was our experience with him as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi