Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 04:00 PM

69 posts, read 89,170 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

We're going to be in Corpus Christi next week with our young kids, and I know there is Padre Island National Seashore, Mustang Island State Park, and also Port Aransas. What are the differences in the beaches at these various locations? We know it may be a little chilly for swimming but just for the kids to run around the beach, play in the sand, and look for shells and such in a nice, natural environment?

Is there any real difference between Mustang Island State Park and the Padre Island National Seashore? What about the beach at Port Aransas?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 04:43 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,377,272 times
I have had good experiences with Mustang Island.It is a good beach in my opinion.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:19 PM

Thanks!

Old 03-01-2017, 10:57 PM

286 posts, read 569,638 times
None of them are built up. There's closer food and kid friendly stuff at Port A, but Mustang Island isn't that far. PINS is further down, and you can drive 60 miles down the beach if you'd like.

Old 03-02-2017, 10:55 AM

712 posts, read 841,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martowski View Post
Hi All,

We're going to be in Corpus Christi next week with our young kids, and I know there is Padre Island National Seashore, Mustang Island State Park, and also Port Aransas. What are the differences in the beaches at these various locations? We know it may be a little chilly for swimming but just for the kids to run around the beach, play in the sand, and look for shells and such in a nice, natural environment?

Is there any real difference between Mustang Island State Park and the Padre Island National Seashore? What about the beach at Port Aransas?

Thanks!

Bad news: All the beaches next couple of weeks are going to be CROWDED with scores of DRUNK rowdy college (and many HS) kids + CARS crowding ALL the roads/beach down there. Spring Break 2017. You're young kids will SEE things they can't 'unsee'.

Old 03-02-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Thanks!
You are welcome.I agree with the other poster that going during spring break would not be the best idea.

Old 03-02-2017, 02:56 PM

Oh boy. I was hoping by being in Corpus and not South Padre we'd avoid exposing the kids to Girls Gone Wild. Will the beaches at even the State Park and the National Seashore be like that???

Old 03-03-2017, 01:53 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,265,380 times
Quote:
Oh boy. I was hoping by being in Corpus and not South Padre we'd avoid exposing the kids to Girls Gone Wild. Will the beaches at even the State Park and the National Seashore be like that???
Port Aransas is built ON Mustang Island - There are 3 Access Roads along the road toward Flour Bluff. Access Rd #1 is the road closest to the Town of Port A (several places to stay within walking distance). I like #2 for more privacy, but all are good. You can drive the entire beach and stop where you want. You can probably find a spot that is not too crowded, you will need a parking permit (good for a year) to park on the beach. Finding a place to stay in Port A this late could be an issue. I just checked the website of the place I rent from and they have properties with vacancies - condos/houses. Looks like the 2nd week of March is the busiest so it might depend on exactly the dates you are thinking about. Feel free to PM me if you need a recommendation for a place to stay. I've rented from the same agency for almost 10 years, always a winner.

March is not the best time to take the kids - it will be covered up with college kids, high school kids for Spring break. On the other hand, if that's what works for you, then you should be able to manage. Padre is probably the same, but I haven't been there in years. Another option is North Beach just across the harbor bridge from Downtown Corpus Christi. It's really clean, they sweep it daily. Playground for the kids and the Texas Aquarium is right there - Motels in the area.

Old 03-03-2017, 04:35 PM

404 posts, read 1,245,066 times
OP, if you're still considering the area, try looking at Rockport (approx. 30 miles from Corpus) but most likely much less crowded. There is a kid-friendly 'beach' area which I don't believe existed when we had a home there years ago. Looks like it might be another option for this time of year.

Old 03-03-2017, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmanon View Post
OP, if you're still considering the area, try looking at Rockport (approx. 30 miles from Corpus) but most likely much less crowded. There is a kid-friendly 'beach' area which I don't believe existed when we had a home there years ago. Looks like it might be another option for this time of year.
Good suggestion.Rockport is great in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi