Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 08:25 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,409,871 times

Advertisements

Well, for all of you that live in CC. Have yall been keeping up with the news on the Coliseum and its proposed "renovations" by the infamous business man Mr. Prevratil? What are your thoughts on it?

Personally I think the deal is going to be a money hole and should have never have even been considered. Also, I think Prevratil is a con,t he city council members are a bunch of idiots, the coliseum should have been torn down a long time ago, and there are way better alternatives, investments, and/or opportunities out there for that large area of land in the downtown area.

Personally I think the city should tear the coliseum down and turn it into a beautiful park or plaza. That then would make downtown a much more desirable place for development of both housing and commerce.

Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 07:17 AM

808 posts, read 3,647,165 times
Do the IceRays want it?

Old 02-11-2009, 08:54 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
gabetx, I agree with you on almost everything. Only the CC city council would consider a plan from a man whose last venture ended in bankruptcy. I think they should gut the coliseum, leaving the quonset hut roof and a bath room and have it be an open air pavillion. It could be used in conjunction with the windsurfing and speedboat competitions, the boat show and also during Bayfest and Buc Days. It could also be used for arts and crafts fairs and anything else anyone didn't want to rent the ABC for. When nothing official is going on, kids could roller skate and ride bikes in it.

My best guess about what will happen to it though is....nothing. It'll sit there for 15-20 more years, I bet.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:29 AM

If the IceRays want it, give it to the IceRays...and make them maintain it.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:04 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,409,871 times
I dont know why we would need it or why the Ice Rayz would want it. They have a 10,000 seat, new arena. Why would they want a 3,500 seat 50 year old building? There is so much better that could be done with that land, and without the coliseum there, it would be very desirable. I like your suggestion as well Marlow. I would believe it if it still sat for another 10-20 years vacant. I cant wait until the elections!

Old 02-11-2009, 12:09 PM

But didn't the IceRays have an issue with the arena's fees a while back? I thought they almost had to shut down, or something like that.

I have some fond memories of the atmosphere for hockey games in the old building. I've been to a game once at the new building...it's a really nice arena, but too big for the IceRays (or at least it was on the night I went; I have no idea what they average in attendance).

Old 02-11-2009, 12:51 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,688,656 times
Why doesn't the city council have a sort of public round table on it? Invite different developers, designers and citizen input on what could be done with the property and then take the best ideas and have the public vote on it? I'm familiar with the stadium, that's why I'm posting on it. Here in Hutto they are doing that with some vacant property near our little downtown.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:07 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Why doesn't the city council have a sort of public round table on it? Invite different developers, designers and citizen input on what could be done with the property and then take the best ideas and have the public vote on it? I'm familiar with the stadium, that's why I'm posting on it. Here in Hutto they are doing that with some vacant property near our little downtown.
They've done that over and over. Community discussions, hired consultants, asked for private bids, voted on it. The problem is (1) no one will make a decision and (2) most of the people on the city council either work for a title company or an insurance company and are hoping to somehow profit off of some sort of deal. At least that's my take on it. It's mind-numbingly ridiculous.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:10 AM

244 posts, read 803,911 times
I agree with all of you gabe. should have been torn down the day the American Bank Center opened. They new it was coming. They should have had a plan in place before they finished construction on the new arena. It pisses me off everyday I drive by it. A park would make all the land behind it more ripe for development. That's the only reason developers haven't jumped on it. They're waiting to see what's going to be in their front yard.

Please, CC citizens, get out and vote this April. Vote Joe Adame for Mayor and vote some youth into the council seats. I just might have to run for council one of these days myself.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:43 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,688,656 times
As much as I love hearing my moms stories of the arena's heydays, I actually think a park would look nice there. Even a little place set up for bands to play or whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi