Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2013, 12:34 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times

Advertisements

We did a repositioning cruise several years ago, spending 19 days going from NYC to Seattle through the Panama Canal. It was our favorite cruise.

So now we are considering doing one this spring, but going from Florida to Europe (husband has not been to Europe, except for England). He has limited ability to walk long distances, and we're generally spend a limited time visiting museums, cathedrals, or historic ruins.

We are not going to spend the money on a luxury cruise line (which unfortunately seems to rule out river cruises), and in our dozen or so cruises, have always booked and been perfectly happy with an inside guarantee.

So far, I'm seeing some interesting itineraries and great prices for March/April on HAL. NCL also seems to have quite a few. Sadly, Celebrity does not offer much.

Our experiences with Carnival, RCCL, Princess and NCL were not as positive as the multiple trips we have taken on HAL and Celebrity. However, those were 7-10 day cruises, often out of ports that would generate families with children or serious bargain hunters. With that in mind, we might consider those lines again (especially NCL).

As we do enjoy wine and cocktails, cruise lines that have some kind of discount program (especially prepaid) for alcohol is especially attractive. (this was a big reason I was disappointed to see that Celebrity offers so few repositioning cruises.)

Suggestions are most welcome and appreciated, but remember, budget matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 05:36 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
We did a repositioning cruise several years ago, spending 19 days going from NYC to Seattle through the Panama Canal. It was our favorite cruise.

So now we are considering doing one this spring, but going from Florida to Europe (husband has not been to Europe, except for England). He has limited ability to walk long distances, and we're generally spend a limited time visiting museums, cathedrals, or historic ruins.

We are not going to spend the money on a luxury cruise line (which unfortunately seems to rule out river cruises), and in our dozen or so cruises, have always booked and been perfectly happy with an inside guarantee.

So far, I'm seeing some interesting itineraries and great prices for March/April on HAL. NCL also seems to have quite a few. Sadly, Celebrity does not offer much.

Our experiences with Carnival, RCCL, Princess and NCL were not as positive as the multiple trips we have taken on HAL and Celebrity. However, those were 7-10 day cruises, often out of ports that would generate families with children or serious bargain hunters. With that in mind, we might consider those lines again (especially NCL).

As we do enjoy wine and cocktails, cruise lines that have some kind of discount program (especially prepaid) for alcohol is especially attractive. (this was a big reason I was disappointed to see that Celebrity offers so few repositioning cruises.)

Suggestions are most welcome and appreciated, but remember, budget matters.
Of course you know I am an NCL fan, so am a little partial. As for the drink packages, we think they are a little pricey, and yet, if you are going to spend several days at sea, you might want to invest in one, again depending on how much you actually do drink. I think the price of drinks on ships is on the high side: No it doesn't stop us from drinking though.

Now, as for repos, they are a great deal price wise, I am just not sure I want 5 or 6 days in a row at sea. We are doing a repo in April, but it is from Tampa to Boston, so we only have one stretch that will be a few days at sea. We did one from London to NYC in 2004. Because of the northern Atlantic versus leaving out of Florida, it was a great cruise; probably our favorite of all time, with HAL being our second favorite. You might want to look into something like that. The ports are interesting, there are not too many days at sea in a row and the prices are usually very inexpensive.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:27 AM

14,324 posts, read 14,620,586 times
Royal Caribbean has what I consider to be reasonable prices for their repositioning cruises. I sail single and have to pay double or almost double for cruises. I'm taking there Barcelona to Tampa next year and the price was very good. I don't do the drink packages as they aren't beneficial to me although I buy a specialty coffee card on Princess.

This year I'm going with Princess but their prices are higher than Royal Caribbean. However, they don't charge double for a single. I'm doing an 11 day down to the Canaries and back then then the 14 day Southampton to Ft. Lauderdale.

When I first started cruising (1982) I sailed with NCL but not anymore as I like a more traditional dining experience.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:28 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,515,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Royal Caribbean has what I consider to be reasonable prices for their repositioning cruises. I sail single and have to pay double or almost double for cruises.
Check out Carnival, they've been having a lot of sales lately that waive the single supplement. I'm leaving tomorrow for an 8 day NYC to Bahamas cruise that was $595 with all taxes for an oceanview room.

I'm going with a friend, but we didn't want to share cabins, so it worked out well.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:14 AM

Since I started the thread, I'll update it. We booked a repostioning cruise on Celebrity in December going from Ft. Lauderdale to Valparaiso, Chile. 16 days. Including the all you can drink alcohol package with the cruise fare was a major deciding factor.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:34 AM

14,324 posts, read 14,620,586 times
Wow, sounds awesome! South America is on my bucket list! I'd love to hear how your cruise goes! Enjoy!

Old 03-28-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Wow, sounds awesome! South America is on my bucket list! I'd love to hear how your cruise goes! Enjoy!
there is only one thing to remember about repos: they are fun and less expensive but the one way air fare can eat some of that money you saved. Oh, and flying one way from or to S.A can be really pricey. I am not trying to discourage you, they are our favorite types of cruises, just forewarning you about the air price.

Old 03-28-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
there is only one thing to remember about repos: they are fun and less expensive but the one way air fare can eat some of that money you saved. Oh, and flying one way from or to S.A can be really pricey. I am not trying to discourage you, they are our favorite types of cruises, just forewarning you about the air price.
You're right. We were, however, shocked at the price we got from Choice Air through Celebrity. ESPECIALLY considering it's just before the Christmas holiday! One way Santiago, Chile to RDU, only one stop with a short layover in Atlanta, on Delta. $618 per person. Didn't buy the pre cruise one way to FLL through them as that was more expensive than I can book myself.

Our friends returning to Phoenix are on the same flight with us to ATL, then they fly directly to Phoenix, also on Delta. $638 for them, I think.

These fares were about half of what I could find outside of Choice Air.

Old 03-29-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
You're right. We were, however, shocked at the price we got from Choice Air through Celebrity. ESPECIALLY considering it's just before the Christmas holiday! One way Santiago, Chile to RDU, only one stop with a short layover in Atlanta, on Delta. $618 per person. Didn't buy the pre cruise one way to FLL through them as that was more expensive than I can book myself.

Our friends returning to Phoenix are on the same flight with us to ATL, then they fly directly to Phoenix, also on Delta. $638 for them, I think.

These fares were about half of what I could find outside of Choice Air.
that's always good to know. We do have a younger daughter who works for the airlines so we get a slight discount on tickets. Even then our repos with one way tickets have been pretty high. Oh, not that I wouldn't book because of that, but it is just something to consider. We are doing a repo in 4 weeks, in fact 4 weeks from today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises