Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 07:33 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,520,472 times

Advertisements

What was the worst cruise experience that you have been on? What was the ship and the cruise line and why was it so bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 08:11 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
Alaska, without a doubt! It was all weather, not the fault of the cruise line. But just the same I won't waste my money going there again.

For the whole trip, 30ft swells and small craft warnings. Driving rain and some gale force winds. Most of the passengers were sick and it was not uncommon for me to be the only one in a restaurant for dinner. There were times when I felt like I was alone on the ship! Every excursion, mostly fishing, was canceled. And to top it off the one port I wanted to see was also canceled because it was too rough to tender in.

It was impossible to take a shower without the water spilling out into the room. More than one morning I woke up with my legs hooked over the edge of the mattress. Trying to keep from falling out of bed.

Not trying to be mean but it was flat comical watching people trying to go up and down stairs. I'm sure some folks were hurt. They would go down like dominos.

There wasn't much to do, it was pretty boring. I spent a lot of time watching the storm. We got back to Vancouver more than 8 hours early and just floated in the harbor waiting to dock.

You can have Alaska cruises. I'll take the Med any day!

Old 01-28-2015, 08:12 PM

^Interesting, I wanted to go on an Alaskan cruise. Now I am reconsidering it.

Old 01-29-2015, 05:23 AM

64 posts, read 90,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by User1771 View Post
^Interesting, I wanted to go on an Alaskan cruise. Now I am reconsidering it.
Out of my 42 cruises, Alaska was one of my favorites. Please do not let ONE persons opinion change your mind. She had very bad weather, which could have happened on ANY cruise and ruined it.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:24 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Western Caribbean on Royal Caribbean. The ports were OK (typical Caribbean tourist traps) but the service, food, and condition of the ship was unacceptable. We had so many issues that were completely under the control of the cruise line (particularly communication problems--things they put in writing that were wrong and caused us to miss reservations, etc.) and so many problems with our cabin including sewage backing up into the shower and broken televisions that Royal Caribbean offered to have us sail with them again at 75% off. No way we were giving them another dime.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:41 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
We've cruised aboard Holland America, Royal Caribbean, Princess, Norwegian and Carnival to Alaska, Hawaii, Mediterranean, Caribbean E/W, etc. Some cruises have been better than others ... generally in the areas of food, entertainment and overall ambiance and there are a couple we probably won't sail-on again.

However, the notion that one can select or reject a cruise line based on an individual positive or negative experience, is similar to using a news sound byte, to understand what is actually happening.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:57 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
A couple of things come to mind when I see the words "worst ever" As for Alaska, we enjoyed our Alaskan cruise but I do understand how some would find it disappointing. Most of us, when we think of cruise, we think beach, sunshine, starry nights, etc. Alaska is nothing like that. For us it was a love hate experience: the love was the beauty of the scenery and the all the wildlife, the hate was not getting that sun and fun feeling.

Now, worth cruise: it was a 3 dayer on a line that is long gone. The food sucked, the service sucked worse, the only port was Nassau which sucks and my friends bed was cracked right down the middle. The debarkation process was all screwed up, somehow we took a wrong turn and ended up in the kitchen. Believe it or not there were leaky pipes. But if nothing else we had some good laughs and stories to tell.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie8862 View Post
Out of my 42 cruises, Alaska was one of my favorites. Please do not let ONE persons opinion change your mind. She had very bad weather, which could have happened on ANY cruise and ruined it.
Cool. Well, next time if I am going on a cruise I will definitely try out Alaska.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:37 AM

1,939 posts, read 3,923,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
For the whole trip, 30ft swells and small craft warnings.
This is simply BS.

Old 01-31-2015, 01:53 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susie8862 View Post

True! I'm sure my awful experience is in the minority. But just the same I will take my future cruises in areas where the weather is more of a sure thing! It's awful to spend all that money and vacation time for nothing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises