Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 08:37 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,390,372 times

Advertisements

We were on a Carnival cruise where the young "adults" were so bad that the captain put them ashore in Mazatlan and told them to get home on their own.

We recently went on an MSC cruise in the Caribbean and we will not be going with them again. Senior were tolerated, but we did not feel welcome. It seemed like everything was geared to people 25 to 55. The ship is huge and the crowd overwhelmed the port facilities everywhere it went. There were so many people that going from the dining room to the theatre was like a cattle drive. The HAL that we took to Alaska 8 years ago was half the size and much pleasanter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 08:55 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Everytime I see the title of this thread, I get pissed.

Old 07-14-2017, 02:23 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Speak for yourself. I would love to go on a gay cruise. Gays don't discriminate like many straight people do; they are accepting of everyone. I wouldn't feel like I stand out because I'm no different than they are. We're all humans.
If the group of kayakers we met in Alaska were any indication this is amazingly wrong.

Gay people are individuals, they aren't one hive mind.

Old 07-14-2017, 05:22 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
If the group of kayakers we met in Alaska were any indication this is amazingly wrong.

Gay people are individuals, they aren't one hive mind.
Being gay is not a super power. Gay people are people like everybody. There are many racist, classist, sexist gay people. Cruise Critic has a gay sub-forum and many comments are "interesting."

Old 07-16-2017, 05:52 AM

344 posts, read 245,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I agree with some of what you are saying, but I don't think you are all that familiar with the newest NCL ships or even some of the upgrades after some of the ships go into dry dock. I am certainly not saying RCI isn't a great choice for families. It is, I am saying NCL is also one to consider. You certainly are right about research. This is why I am such a strong supporter of a travel agent, especially for new cruisers.

BTW: no I am not a travel agent but my bio says I am. I can't figure out how to get this corrected. Or I think it still says that.
Yes, I am familiar with the newest NCL ships. We've had family reunions on the Breakaway - inaugural year with 3 kids various ages and the Getaway with 5 kids various ages. IMO, the shows and pools on RCI Oasis class ships are much better for families than on those NCL ships.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:07 AM

14,324 posts, read 14,623,274 times
Everytime I see the title of this thread, I get pissed

Me, too! Although I do check back to see what has been said recently!

Generalizations bug me because not all kids are misbehaved, or all seniors cranky, etc.! Everybody walking the face of the earth has an individual personality, be it open and friendly, guarded and mistrusting, whatever all types. When you travel and vacation, you will run into every type of person. You shouldn't say I'm never doing this again because it will always be this way. When I travel, I remember hundreds of others, thousands on a ship, are traveling, too. It isn't about just me.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:52 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Everytime I see the title of this thread, I get pissed

Me, too! Although I do check back to see what has been said recently!

Generalizations bug me because not all kids are misbehaved, or all seniors cranky, etc.! Everybody walking the face of the earth has an individual personality, be it open and friendly, guarded and mistrusting, whatever all types. When you travel and vacation, you will run into every type of person. You shouldn't say I'm never doing this again because it will always be this way. When I travel, I remember hundreds of others, thousands on a ship, are traveling, too. It isn't about just me.
Susancruzs, based on this and many (most? All?) of your other posts in Travel, I think you and I are very similar people.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:24 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times
One could look at it a different way, possibly.

As a parent myself I try to be conscious of what sorts of places are age-appropriate for my children. But there aren't always hard and fast rules. Sometimes, like the OP, I feel an overabundance of icy glares from people who really have no business doing so based on where we are. For example, when there is both a family pool and an adults-only pool, I won't of course bring my little kids to the adult pool (duh) but I also don't warrant those sneering icy glares if my kids are whooping it up a little in the family pool.

Maybe there's a way of looking at the OP where it's just about not wanting to feel like he and his kids are upsetting others.

Old 07-21-2017, 12:24 PM

810 posts, read 667,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
that's your problem to solve

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
One could look at it a different way, possibly.

As a parent myself I try to be conscious of what sorts of places are age-appropriate for my children. But there aren't always hard and fast rules. Sometimes, like the OP, I feel an overabundance of icy glares from people who really have no business doing so based on where we are. For example, when there is both a family pool and an adults-only pool, I won't of course bring my little kids to the adult pool (duh) but I also don't warrant those sneering icy glares if my kids are whooping it up a little in the family pool.

Maybe there's a way of looking at the OP where it's just about not wanting to feel like he and his kids are upsetting others.
I appreciate your viewpoint but the unpleasant old people were all over the ship and many spots, even when the kids weren't around. Sighs and complaints in the dining areas. Mumbling and icy looks when standing in a long line. The grumbling by the pool because the music was too loud. My wife and I sent our kids to the nursery half the time even though they didn't really like it. (there were very few toddlers in the nursery on this particular cruise) The vibe at the pool when we were docked was a very strange one and very off putting. Just stiff, fully clothed, old people who may have been too old or tired for excursions sitting around glaring. You could hear a pin drop if it wasn't for the reggae music just offshore.
I guess it's natural, as seen by some comments on this thread, that old people will get defensive and attempt to swing the pendulum around on the families with young kids. This, however, is not what the thread is about.

Last edited by tailsock; 07-21-2017 at 12:46 PM..

Old 07-21-2017, 12:59 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I don't know why you get pissed, unless you mean it in the British sense. If so, I'll hoist a glass with you.

No, this is just another rant by yet another oblivious parent who demands that everyone be polite as pie while his crotchdroppings misbehave loudly and he looks on beaming.

Old people tend to have firm opinions on parenting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises