Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 08:24 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,698,705 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have had a number of types of RVs over the years but now that we are older it's a little tough for us preparing for the trip and cleaning up afterwards.
So we sold the last RV and we are going to try a cruise.
We picked Alaska, an inward passage, for our first trip 3rd week in August with Princess Lines on the Ruby Princess out of Seattle. I see it's only about 10 years old so it should be in nice shape.
We both have some mobility problems at our age so this is going to be an experiment for us.
Any tips from those that have made this cruise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 08:51 AM

6,627 posts, read 7,346,527 times
Try https://boards.cruisecritic.com/

For me that is a long cruise but your destination is good.
If you need a walker or wheelchair take your own. If you want a motorized chair you can rent one that will be delivered to your cabin. Call the cruise line to see how you do this.

Go to the tour desk when you are on board and talk about mobility and the different tours. Be sure to know how far it is from the ship to the tour pick up point. I do not think you will have problems.

If your budget is important understand the built in typing, cost of drinks, specialty restrurants etc.

I would try seating where you eat dinner with the same group each night. If not you can always get a table with several other guests so you can meet a lot of people. But you will not be able to build a campfire.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:05 AM

I have a motorized chair and getting better at longer walks with my bad back. I hope I don't need it and there was some question as to the width of the cabin opening with the travel agent.
On edit, I called the cruise line and found out that our cabin only has a 24" door and my power chair is bigger than that, I might have to take my manual folding chair just in case as it will fit.
Budget is not an issue, at least this time. We just want to enjoy the trip.
The Cruise lines and travel agent offered us a private table for dining so we took that.
Being retired frankly we normally eat our main meal from noon to 3 but that may change for the trip.

Last edited by keninaz; 06-13-2018 at 09:23 AM..

Old 06-13-2018, 09:07 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
try and get one of the aft cabins if you are going with the veranda, you will be out of the wind and can see both sides of the ship as you are sailing along

Old 06-13-2018, 09:23 AM

We are assigned aft but aft port in E714.
I will say that so far Princess Cruises appears to have a lot information on the internet and when I called them with the specific WC width requirements they were quite knowledgeable.
Now I just hope our passports arrive in time. They say 4-6 weeks and that limit would still put it some 3 weeks before the trip.
The cruise docks in Victoria and a passport is required they say.
Never had one myself, all my overseas travel was while in uniform and none was required.

Old 06-13-2018, 12:08 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,997,633 times
Yes...Canada requires a passport. Were you doing a Caribbean cruise, you wouldn't have needed the passport.

Old 06-13-2018, 01:16 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
My wife and I have had a number of types of RVs over the years but now that we are older it's a little tough for us preparing for the trip and cleaning up afterwards.
So we sold the last RV and we are going to try a cruise.
We picked Alaska, an inward passage, for our first trip 3rd week in August with Princess Lines on the Ruby Princess out of Seattle. I see it's only about 10 years old so it should be in nice shape.
We both have some mobility problems at our age so this is going to be an experiment for us.
Any tips from those that have made this cruise?
ok, here is just my opinion so listen to others as well: We have been on the Rudy and our daughter was on her just a couple of weeks ago. We both liked the ship but felt it could use a face lift. Never cruising before, you will most likely not notice and you will have a great time. Remember one thing, it isn't necessary for you to see every single thing and it is fun, sometimes just to stay on board as others do tours. It can be very relaxing.

Mobility, we might be in your age group and we also, especially hubby have some mobility challenges, so cruising is, by far the best way for us to travel. Be sure you check closely before booking tours, some are limited mobility friendly and some a little to hard for some of us. I am assuming,since the trip is long you are going to Danile (spelling) Park as well. This is a perfect way to start or end your cruise. It should work out sell for you. No line does tour/cruise Alaskan packages as well as Princess. You picked the best line for that. You also should be happy with the age breakdown on this cruise. Most everyone will be in the past 60 age range.

So, my advise, don't push yourself; try anytime dining, sitting at a table with others if you enjoy people and take time to see a lot of the evening entertainment. It is not the best of all cruise ships, but some of it is very good. Also, try one of the specialty dining rooms, I would suggest the steak house. It is worth the cost just once.

As for your mobility concerns, make sure your TA orders a wheel chair for you for boarding, or get help from a crew member to get you onto the ship.Your wife may want to use one as well. I have gotten in the habit of using one. The walk from the terminal to the ship can be a ***** for us oldsters.

Welcome to your new world of cruising.

Oh, one more thing: you might enjoy signing up and taking part in the Meet and Greet or roll call. Just go to Cruisecritic.com and list the cruise you will be on. There will be information about the Meet and greet or roll call whatever. It is another way to have a good time and meet others. And be sure and play some trivia, another way to meet people

Old 06-13-2018, 02:49 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
We took a Princess cruise to Alaska about 10-years ago after retiring (and have since taken about a dozen cruises, including two 30-day cruises to the Mediterranean). In Alaska, we took a 2-part, 20 week cruise (Ocean up and Rail back) -- Great Cruise! -- We're going back on a second Alaska cruise in August 2018 (Carnival, I think).

I'm about 'cruised-out' -- so, we recently tried a river cruise in the Netherlands. Similar to ocean cruises, but, several notable examples.

Old 06-13-2018, 03:18 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,390,372 times
We have never traveled with Princess. We did a similar cruise on Holland American about 9 years ago. There is a large parking facility at the Seattle port. I have a cane that incorporates a folding camp stool that I was glad I brought along. I bought it in Quartzsite, but you might find on online. It was our 50th anniversary and some family and friends went with us. We had a great time.
Since then we moved back to Florida and taken 2 cruises in the Caribbean. My wife took a rollator (walker with 4 wheels and a seat) which worked well for her.
The rules say that a scooter could not be left in the passageway, so it would be wise to check that issue out before you go.

Old 06-13-2018, 03:31 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,346,527 times
I assume you have asked about handicap rooms and if any are available you they still have the 24 inch problem.
I would call and see if they will store your chair outside your cabin. I have seen chairs left in the hall way and I am assuming they were moved to a storage area but not sure of the details.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises