Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 02:22 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot View Post
Yes, a bit pricey. A special occasion kind of trip for us. They do have specials every now and then, particularly Alaskan Dream. Very little onboard entertainment but the emphasis is on the outdoors and exploring ares that are inaccessible to the larger ships. Top notch naturalists and the food has been very good.
I've taken 3 trips on UnCruise and have 2 more booked. Yes, they're pricey but keep in mind that there are almost no extra expenses. Tips are voluntary (yes, they do encourage them) but the only extra costs I've incurred have been for snorkeling in Alaska, when we used their heavy-duty wet suits- including gloves, fins and helmet (well the water was 42 degrees! ). That added about $120. NO extra charges for snorkeling off Costa Rica. No locks on the stateroom doors, leave your ego and your bling at home. Fellow travelers are mostly smart, curious and have been very successful at something in life but don't flaunt it. A few kids but I always enjoyed them- given the cost, no parent would bring a kid who would be glued to video games and complaining about lack of Internet access.

Food was fresh, very good, locally-sourced when possible, but not the 24/7 overloaded buffets of the mega-ships. Typically a choice of two or three entrees at dinner and at least one was a good vegetarian option.

Bonus: with all that swimming, kayaking, hiking, etc. even with having desserts and lunch AND dinner I didn't gain weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2018, 05:32 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Since you enjoyed Alaska you might consider a small ship cruise there. UnCruise & Alaskan Dream have most of their excursions built in to the trip price and there are usually few kids if any. Kayaks and skiffs onboard. Food is very good. Depending on itinerary some of their trips overnight in Glacier Bay which is a real treat.
I have not seen many kids on any Alaskan cruise. As for smaller lines,like you are referring to, the price has to be considered even if the tours are included. Everyone has to research and see what works best for them.

Old 09-02-2018, 08:35 AM

4,790 posts, read 10,611,895 times
We just got home from a month long vacay trip, which included an 8 day cruise of the Norway fjords and a 7 day cruise circumnavigating Iceland...we had been to Iceland a couple summers ago, driving 2000+ miles in rental SUV around the entire Ring Road, et al, but wanted to see the landscape and sights from the water, with occasional 'town' stops.

Both cruises were on Windstar, on different ships, but identical sister ships to each other.

The ships were ~440 ft long and held ~ 200 passengers, vs the monster cruise ships. We have done a few cruises on the big ships and we will not go back on those after this recent experience on a smaller ship.

Service is impeccable, food was VG to excellent, all staff knew our names by day 2, and one can choose or skip an alcohol pkg.

The excursions are marked up as all lines do, but some of our excursions we booked ahead via the net vs via the ship line.

Windstar has several ships with many itineraries, and some may be of interest to the OP. None are 'cheap'/budget cruises, but the accommodations are good, and food and service and small ship board crowd is refreshing...

My 50Cts.
GL, mD
Attached Thumbnails
Your Favorite 7 - 10 Day Cruise-img_7212-reduce.jpg  

Old 09-02-2018, 08:42 AM

1,939 posts, read 3,923,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I have not seen many kids on any Alaskan cruise. As for smaller lines,like you are referring to, the price has to be considered even if the tours are included. Everyone has to research and see what works best for them.

Yes, hence the reason I suggested a small ship cruise. So the OP can use it in their research.

There's no doubt that a small ship cruise will be more expensive than a main line in most cases even though there are included excursions. Of 9 Alaska cruises, the UnCruise trip was far superior to any main line trip. Wish we could do them more often.

Old 09-02-2018, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Yes, hence the reason I suggested a small ship cruise. So the OP can use it in their research.

There's no doubt that a small ship cruise will be more expensive than a main line in most cases even though there are included excursions. Of 9 Alaska cruises, the UnCruise trip was far superior to any main line trip. Wish we could do them more often.
I understand, just like I wish we could afford more 2 week or at least 12 day cruises, but the bank account says, watch it lady!!!!

Old 09-08-2018, 07:38 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times
My favourite was a 10 day cruise through Celebrity that departed from Rome (Civitavecchia port) and stopped in Messina Sicily, Naples, Athens, Rhodes, Mykonos, Santorini and Ephesus Turkey (Kusadasi port). A day excursion from Naples that took us to Pompeii and down to the Amalfi coast was my favourite. The three Greek islands we just wandered ourselves. In Santorini we hiked from Fira to Oia and caught the bus back. I loved that as well.

Old 11-06-2018, 03:57 PM

3,357 posts, read 1,234,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Understand the comment about kids. I will add, the longer the cruise, the fewer kids and normally you can escape them if you sail from mid Sept to mid November: the first week or two in Dec or in Jan to Feb.

Our 2 favorite 7-10 day cruises I would say were both 10 days: 1 was NCL transatlantic doing the northern route from London the NYC. Awesome ports, brand new ship and ok weather. The other we loved was HAL partial Panama Canal cruise. The ship was small and very well maintained, the crew was formal, but still friendly, the itinerary wonderful and the cabins a little larger than most lines. As for a 7 day cruise I think our favorite was the So Caribbean sailing out of San Juan on NCL> We loved the itinerary. Oh and one more super itinerary was either 10 or 12 days from Quebec City to Ft Lauderdale on Princess. I will be honest, we were not crazy over some of the guests. They were just not particularly friendly but the wonderful ports made up for the passengers. We did have a problem with the food. It as just fair and the specialty dining rooms compared to other lines were a disappointment.
Which ports on the northern transatlantic? We have been on four to or from Florida and would like to see some different ports. But how many stops on a ten day Transatlantic?

Old 11-08-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
Which ports on the northern transatlantic? We have been on four to or from Florida and would like to see some different ports. But how many stops on a ten day Transatlantic?
We started in Dover; if I remember, our first stop was Ireland: from there we had a coupe days at sea,then to New Finland and Iceland. Then we hit, the upper coast of New England, finishing in NYC. I think we had 6 ports altogether. It has been about 8 years so I am a little dusty on that. We are doing a So Caribbean cruise this coming Feb with 9 ports in 10 days. That is a bit much, so we will not get off at each port. We leave out or San Juan.

Old 11-08-2018, 11:50 AM

4,391 posts, read 9,484,326 times
My favorite 7 day was the Mexico Riviera. Only because it was close to travel to the cruise port and not expensive.

My favorite of all cruises was a 15 day to Hawaii. Leave Long Beach, California - at sea 5 days, 5 different islands, 5 sea days back. Gives you a taste of Hawaii without paying high prices for hotels and food there. Plus you get time on the ship to do activities and relax.

When in doubt read the TOS.

Old 11-08-2018, 12:05 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
My favorite 7 day was the Mexico Riviera. Only because it was close to travel to the cruise port and not expensive.

My favorite of all cruises was a 15 day to Hawaii. Leave Long Beach, California - at sea 5 days, 5 different islands, 5 sea days back. Gives you a taste of Hawaii without paying high prices for hotels and food there. Plus you get time on the ship to do activities and relax.

Ironically, that Hawaii cruise was one of our least favorites. Largely because it was too cold to really enjoy the sea days and Hawaii was sort of a disappointment (our expectations were high based on all the reports from friends, articles, etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises