Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2024, 07:08 PM

1,874 posts, read 2,231,760 times

Advertisements

My parents-in-law would like to take a cruise around the Greece, Italy, or Turkey area of the Med in late May before the birth of a future grandkid. They've done a few inexpensive large volume cruises along the California coast and Gulf of Mexico, but we thought they might enjoy something more cultural (excursion tours) and something a little more laid back.

I'm aware of Windstar and Viking Cruises and was wondering what people's opinions of these and/or if there are other small ship cruise lines that are recommended. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2024, 10:05 AM

3,607 posts, read 7,915,344 times
There's also azamara silversea seabourne...

Review the offered ports and excursions and balance with cost.

Personally I wouldn't want someone else to do my shopping.

Old 03-18-2024, 02:25 PM

1,874 posts, read 2,231,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
There's also azamara silversea seabourne...

Review the offered ports and excursions and balance with cost.

Personally I wouldn't want someone else to do my shopping.
Thanks for those. Seabourne looks nice but a little too large...300 suites and a ship longer than the length of 2 football fields requires a tender to most of their ports. As of now, I'm leaning towards Windstar because they seem much more casual and focused on the destination rather than the on-ship activities.

I'm with you on the doing my own shopping thing, but my in-laws are retired refugees who were literally "boat people" who fled Vietnam in 1978 to a refugee camp in Thailand. My wife and I financially support them so they aren't very particular and would rather have me plan this out for them...their main concern is to not get scammed along their trip. They provide daycare for my sister-in-law's toddler and have a 14-day window between when their daughter starts her parental leave and when her due date (June 4) is so I'm trying to book them on a May 18th - May 25th trip so they won't miss the birth of their granddaughter.

I'm anticipating this trip to be ~$10K-$20K. Mostly focused on assuring they have a good time and get to relax in a not-so-stuffy settling with fun people.

Old 03-18-2024, 11:03 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
I'm aware of Windstar and Viking Cruises and was wondering what people's opinions of these and/or if there are other small ship cruise lines that are recommended. Thanks in advance.

I talked with one of the sales managers for Windstar Cruises a couple of weeks ago at a travel show in Tucson.

Windstar ships carry 150-350 cruisers in an all suite property. They are more focused on the ports that they stop at. In most cases, they will be in port nearly every day. On some of their Caribbean cruises, as an example, they will stop at six different ports in seven days when most of the mass marketed lines may stop at three or four. The smaller ships make it a lot easier to get into smaller ports.

They are known for very attentive service having one employee for every 1.5 passengers. Also, they are known for having excellent food and have an affiliation with the James Beard Foundation. All dining venues on the ship are included so there will be no additional food charges.

Since I have no interest in cruising in Europe, I do not know what their fare structure is like. I was looking at a cruise in the Caribbean in early December that was priced at $2199 pp +tax+ gratuities for seven days in a suite at a time when a seven day cruise on RCCL Icon of the Seas in an inside cabin was $2900.

Old 03-19-2024, 09:05 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
If they are looking to sail in late may, it may already too late to book if they are particular about the cabin, itinerary, etc. Might be easier to see what's available first.

Old 03-19-2024, 09:13 AM

1,847 posts, read 867,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
cruise around the Greece, Italy, or Turkey area of the Med
I'm trying to book them on a May 18th - May 25th trip
I'm anticipating this trip to be ~$10K-$20K

I've heard good things about Viking Cruises. Here's a couple itineraries for your requirements, and they start at $5k.

Old 03-19-2024, 07:59 PM

6,627 posts, read 4,289,861 times
We are starting to do a lot of cruises. Viking has a loyal following, we’re not among them. I would take a long look at Oceania. Their ships may be a tad larger than what you are looking for, but it is an excellent cruise line and a good value. They are known for their food, and now their fares are all inclusive, even including excursions. I also like Silversea, but it is going to be more expensive and more formal. Their fares include 1 excursion in every port.

Old 03-19-2024, 08:31 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
We are starting to do a lot of cruises. Viking has a loyal following, we’re not among them. I would take a long look at Oceania. Their ships may be a tad larger than what you are looking for, but it is an excellent cruise line and a good value. They are known for their food, and now their fares are all inclusive, even including excursions. I also like Silversea, but it is going to be more expensive and more formal. Their fares include 1 excursion in every port.

Is Oceania inclusive of alcohol? Or do you need to buy a package?

Old 03-20-2024, 03:37 AM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Is Oceania inclusive of alcohol? Or do you need to buy a package?
Oceania is not inclusive of alcohol. Alcohol packages are not generally considered to be of good financial value. As The Points Guy says "cruise drink packages on ships often are quite pricey, and they only make sense if you're a big spender on drinks — a really big spender."

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/cruis...package-value/

Oceania does offer a variety of alcohol packages from $39.95 per person per day to $69.95 per person per day, all of which include gratuities, to the best of my knowledge. They also have a Wine By The Bottle package – from US $332.50 for 7 bottles.

I got the prices for Oceania from the following: https://www.theluxurycruisereview.co...rage-packages/

P. S. For anyone cruising on any ships owned by Royal Caribbean Cruises, please do buy alcohol packages. I own 100 shares of RCL and your alcohol purchase contributes to my bottom line.

Old 03-20-2024, 06:59 AM

1,847 posts, read 867,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
they only make sense if you're a big spender on drinks — a really big spender

Gotta agree here. Last cruise we went on, we decided to do the package because we are fairly heavy drinkers. We both had to buy a package (each, because we were in the same cabin and you can't share a package), so I think we paid $500 total for both of us. You get up to 15 drinks/beers per day, but those don't include the souvenir ones, room service, and other specialty drinks, like at the formal dinners.

For me, it became a challenge to make sure I drank all 15 every day so that it was "worth it". I don't recommend that approach. I can't remember the last time, or since, that I've ever been so sick, especially coming off a cruise, and how long it took me to recover (days). That was years ago, but if we ever took a cruise again we'd just pay at the end of the cruise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises