Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 02:57 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,778,572 times

Advertisements

We just booked a cruise through Orbitz (best price, by the way) and they were trying to sell us insurance for $39 per person. She said that it covers last minute cancellation but also medical issues once on the ship and on the islands. She also said our own insurance is no good once we get on the ship. Is this true? Has anyone bought this insurance and had to use it? We only plan to sunbathe and overeat, so I don't think we will break an arm or anything and need the insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 03:04 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,167,485 times
my sister now buys it since she had to miss a cruise for personal reasons and could not recoup her losses. She takes a couple cruises a year and says YES to the insurance now.

BTW--have a great time!!!

Old 08-27-2009, 03:20 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
check out cruisecritic.com - a lot of discussion on insurance

i think for that price, it's a good idea ....... especially if you are travelling to places where weather could have an impact

it's very rare for it to happen, but if you need to be airlifted or anything like that due to injury/illness you are looking at a cruise ship sized bill

Old 08-27-2009, 07:24 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,471,659 times
No one PLANS to get injured on vacation, but it happens. One slip on a wet floor, gallbladder attack, or unexpected lurch of the boat and you could be left with huge medical bills. Case in point: a friend discovered she had a sinus infection after boarding a cruise ship in Europe. It cost her $15 dollars to have her blood pressure taken, $10 for oximeter reading and $80 for meds. Imagine if she needed stitches, or worse? The insurance sounds pretty cheap if it covers cancellations and illness. Take it! (but read the fine print first).

Old 08-27-2009, 09:24 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,167,485 times
oh......and Rapture, I did forget to mention that on one of the cruises my sister was on; she was coming down a staircase onboard and somehow slipped. Fell hard on her tailbone. Ended up having to wait until they returned to port and went right to the ER. She had broken her tailbone

Old 08-28-2009, 06:25 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,333,333 times
I have never purchased the insurance because I am too darned frugal . However, I really think it is a very good idea. My main concern is stressing over someone getting sick BEFORE the cruise and having to cancel at the last minute. If that happens, say byebye to ALL your money.

One year my parents were due to go on a cruise and days before, mom had a brain aneurysm (sp?). She did survive, but was in the hospital for 4 months. They had insurance and got every penny back.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
oh......and Rapture, I did forget to mention that on one of the cruises my sister was on; she was coming down a staircase onboard and somehow slipped. Fell hard on her tailbone. Ended up having to wait until they returned to port and went right to the ER. She had broken her tailbone
That's terrible! With my luck and the fact I am a bit of a clutz, I can see this happening to me.

Thanks everyone. I'm going to look into the insurance, call my insurance and see if it's true that my insurance is no good and make a decision.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:28 AM

1,050 posts, read 3,526,904 times
Default cruise insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebll31 View Post
No one PLANS to get injured on vacation, but it happens. One slip on a wet floor, gallbladder attack, or unexpected lurch of the boat and you could be left with huge medical bills. Case in point: a friend discovered she had a sinus infection after boarding a cruise ship in Europe. It cost her $15 dollars to have her blood pressure taken, $10 for oximeter reading and $80 for meds. Imagine if she needed stitches, or worse? The insurance sounds pretty cheap if it covers cancellations and illness. Take it! (but read the fine print first).

We are taking our kids and granddkids on a cruise in Decemeber. We bought the insurance, but I thought that it only covered you if you had to cancel. Does it really cover medical expenses onboard?

Old 08-28-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude1948 View Post
We are taking our kids and granddkids on a cruise in Decemeber. We bought the insurance, but I thought that it only covered you if you had to cancel. Does it really cover medical expenses onboard?
You should ask the person you made the reservation with, that's what they told me.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:13 AM

I just called my insurance and they said if we have an emergency on the ship or on an island we would have to pay upfront for the medical expense and they would reimburse us. We just have to make sure we only go to emergency and not a Dr's office and bring all the records with us to submit. Our trip is in a couple weeks, so we are not going to get the insurance and spend the extra $80 because it's highly unlikely we will cancel. If we get sick or hurt we will just pay and get the money back later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises