Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 01:56 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,211,161 times

Advertisements

Cedar grove ave is a flood prone area. My guess is that once they paid off the note they stopped purchasing flood Ins.

While I grew up on SI the "beach" area saw floods which required the national Guard to come out to get people. Last time was in 1964 i believe. If you have seen the pictures from overhead there is a church which has been there forever. It has survived a lot of floods because it was built about 15 ft up off ground level. Our lady of lourdes I think. It was and will be a nice area again.
The biggest issue is that the area was protected from storm surge with a dune that went from New Dorp Lane to Ebbitts there had been a softball field there across from a K OF C council. Any way the Dune will have to be rebuilt and dont know what Sandy Hook looks like but something will have to be done to prevent future problems. It will cost billions to repair
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 02:02 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Sounds to me like they went and replaced items before the adjuster got there and approved anything.

Do you go get your car fixed before the insurance adjuster gets a chance to look at it and approve the written estimate ?
Here's the thing though, a lot of that stuff can't wait. We had a flood in my area last year. You had to get right on it ripping interior walls out, getting floors up etc. You had to get it right down to the studs and the sub floor and immediately hit it with bleach and get the house dried out. We pulled up a section of my brothers kitchen cabinets that had gone about 2 weeks and there was 1 inch carpet of mold under it, it's that bad. They might not have this particular issue with the mold because it's salt water but that's probably just as bad corroding everything.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:10 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,781,638 times
Lots of thing we don't know here.

Did the house get knocked down by wind, or by water? Sounds like wind, from what she says the neighbors said, but that's not completely clear.

Did they have insurance for water damage but not wind damage? Or for wind damage but not water damage? Or for both Or....?? That's never mentioned, but is extremely important.

Bottom line: YOU are responsible for knowing what you're insured for. If you're not sure, call you insurance company and ask them to explain it to you. If you can't get a satisfactory explanation from them, drop them and switch to another company. Many companies will spell it out in language anyone can understand. And it's even not a bad idea to have a tape recorder or video recorder running (even cheap cameras or a cell ophone can do that) during the discussion, just in case. Ask what it would cost to add coverage for flood, or wind, or whatever, if you don't already have it.

Finding out AFTER the disaster hits, is too late, obviously. Do it NOW, before the NEXT hurricane.

It's YOUR responsibility. Do it.

Did the people in this video, have wind damage coverage? Water damage coverage?

Old 01-05-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Here's the thing though, a lot of that stuff can't wait. We had a flood in my area last year. You had to get right on it ripping interior walls out, getting floors up etc. You had to get it right down to the studs and the sub floor and immediately hit it with bleach and get the house dried out. We pulled up a section of my brothers kitchen cabinets that had gone about 2 weeks and there was 1 inch carpet of mold under it, it's that bad. They might not have this particular issue with the mold because it's salt water but that's probably just as bad corroding everything.
Most of the older homes were older bungaloes converted to year round homes. Dont know how many building permits were used when the conversions were done. Thats why SI was always know as the forgotten bourough, not much govt oversite. The southern most county in NYS.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:16 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
None of us will ever know what their policy covered or not.

-Maybe they were underinsured.
-Maybe they did not insure all exposures.
- Many people reduce their coverage when their property is paid in full.
-Two addresses were mentioned. Are these adjacent lots?
-Maybe State Farm made a mistake. No mention was made about what these folks did to challenge the payout within State Farm.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:18 PM

19,836 posts, read 12,096,528 times
The Trainas cancelled their flood insurance a few years back. "We took a gamble."

Old 01-05-2013, 02:21 PM

There you go gamble and lose

Old 01-05-2013, 04:46 PM

57,263 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
None of us will ever know what their policy covered or not.

-Maybe they were underinsured.
-Maybe they did not insure all exposures.
- Many people reduce their coverage when their property is paid in full.
-Two addresses were mentioned. Are these adjacent lots?
-Maybe State Farm made a mistake. No mention was made about what these folks did to challenge the payout within State Farm.
Very true, there were people who paid off their mortgages in Long Beach and other places on the water that dropped flood isurance. I might be able to understand that but 1 year ago Irene came through, if they didn't learn from that who do you blame. Many people and representatives were fighting the 2010 flood maps, not anymore.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:52 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,155,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I need to thank State Farm for keeping my rates down by not paying fraudulant claims. I carry flood insurance in addition to my primary policy, an extra $250 a year buys a lot of peace of mind.

People always like to cry about insurance companies. Hell, Obama has made a career out of it.
As do Republicans, after their homes are destroyed or their children are denied coverage. Sort of like liberals who have been mugged.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:07 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
As do Republicans, after their homes are destroyed or their children are denied coverage. Sort of like liberals who have been mugged.
Crybabies come in all parties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events