Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 09:50 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,017,104 times

Advertisements

I also apologize if this has been addressed but - they couldn't possibly put this guy in with the general population when he ends up in prison - he wouldn't last a day (hmmmmm). I imagine if he gets the death penalty then he would be in a solitary situation.

edit to add: he'd probably go to the supermax in CO - solitare is all they have.

Last edited by Umbria; 04-22-2013 at 10:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 06:38 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,965,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2ShiningC View Post
Question 1: The quote about weapons/explosives refers to the circumstances on Thursday night, not the day of the bombing.

The reports I read stated that the two brothers, in fleeing, were throwing explosives from their car at the pursuing police and that they had guns and rifles firing at the police. I don't know whose car they were fleeing in, but when you stop to think about it, if everything was so well planned, why didn't they have their own getaway car filled with gas (one somehow had a Mercedes, and it wasn't out of repair garage yet, but still don't you think they'd have their own getaway vehicle parked close to the bombing site?) This just doesn't make sense. If they took all this time to create the bombs and execute their plan (and they were smart young men), why wouldn't their own getaway car be part of the plan? And how did two fleeing and probably panicked suspects manage to get that amount of weaponry into the hijacked car in perfect synchronize time?

Question 2: They did not actually rob a convenience store: "The suspects were at the 7-Eleven around the time of the robbery but they did not rob the store said, State Police Superintendent Timothy Alban at an evening press conference on Friday." Boston bombing suspects did not rob 7-Eleven | wtsp.com

They did rob the guy they carjacked of $45. I think that, up until their pictures were released on Thursday afternoon, they probably figured they had gotten away with it, so had no plans to flee until then. JMHO.

Reports say that one of them who owned the Mercedes gave the garage repairman something like $500. It's unclear whether they got the Mercedes since the repairs were apparently not done. That aside, wouldn't part of plan (even planned by a junior high kid) include having cash on hand for the getaway? Why would they be so stupid as to further jeopardize their getaway by stopping at a convenience store, and why so stupid as to admit to the hijacked car owner that they did this deed??
I'm not saying I think these two are innocent, far from it, but the story as given just doesn't hold water for me anyway. Something's weird.

ETA: one more question: Less than 3 hours after the bombings, the FBI released pics of the two suspects on the FBI's website. So these two brothers were in the FBI pipeline and it's reasonable to assume that they might have one formal mugshot for each. But the media were soon posting all kinds of informal photos of each of them, where did they get them? I highly doubt that their families would have handed over personal pics of the brothers. Looks like there was a big file on these two, and that raises all kind of interesting questions.

Last edited by RiverBird; 04-23-2013 at 07:02 AM..

Old 04-23-2013, 08:27 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,853,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I'm not saying I think these two are innocent, far from it, but the story as given just doesn't hold water for me anyway. Something's weird.

ETA: one more question: Less than 3 hours after the bombings, the FBI released pics of the two suspects on the FBI's website. So these two brothers were in the FBI pipeline and it's reasonable to assume that they might have one formal mugshot for each.
Not if they hadn't been brought in for a crime.

Quote:
But the media were soon posting all kinds of informal photos of each of them, where did they get them? I highly doubt that their families would have handed over personal pics of the brothers. Looks like there was a big file on these two, and that raises all kind of interesting questions.
Social media pages.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:04 AM

1,370 posts, read 2,181,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2ShiningC
Question 1: The quote about weapons/explosives refers to the circumstances on Thursday night, not the day of the bombing.

The reports I read stated that the two brothers, in fleeing, were throwing explosives from their car at the pursuing police and that they had guns and rifles firing at the police. I don't know whose car they were fleeing in, but when you stop to think about it, if everything was so well planned, why didn't they have their own getaway car filled with gas (one somehow had a Mercedes, and it wasn't out of repair garage yet, but still don't you think they'd have their own getaway vehicle parked close to the bombing site?) This just doesn't make sense. If they took all this time to create the bombs and execute their plan (and they were smart young men), why wouldn't their own getaway car be part of the plan? And how did two fleeing and probably panicked suspects manage to get that amount of weaponry into the hijacked car in perfect synchronize time?

Question 2: They did not actually rob a convenience store: "The suspects were at the 7-Eleven around the time of the robbery but they did not rob the store said, State Police Superintendent Timothy Alban at an evening press conference on Friday." Boston bombing suspects did not rob 7-Eleven | wtsp.com

They did rob the guy they carjacked of $45. I think that, up until their pictures were released on Thursday afternoon, they probably figured they had gotten away with it, so had no plans to flee until then. JMHO.

Reports say that one of them who owned the Mercedes gave the garage repairman something like $500. It's unclear whether they got the Mercedes since the repairs were apparently not done. That aside, wouldn't part of plan (even planned by a junior high kid) include having cash on hand for the getaway? Why would they be so stupid as to further jeopardize their getaway by stopping at a convenience store, and why so stupid as to admit to the hijacked car owner that they did this deed??
Quote:

ETA: one more question: Less than 3 hours after the bombings, the FBI released pics of the two suspects on the FBI's website. So these two brothers were in the FBI pipeline and it's reasonable to assume that they might have one formal mugshot for each. But the media were soon posting all kinds of informal photos of each of them, where did they get them? I highly doubt that their families would have handed over personal pics of the brothers. Looks like there was a big file on these two, and that raises all kind of interesting questions.
On Question 1 again, you are talking about two separate incidents. The suspects did not flee the scene of the bombings in the way you are describing - in fact, as of my info last night, nobody knows how they left the scene of the bombings on Monday, except that #2 was photographed walking away from the scene on Boylston and appearing to turn north on Fairfield. The situation you are talking about including fleeing in a Mercedes, throwing explosives and exchanging gunfire all occurred three days later on Thursday.

Re: Question 2, I believe they felt secure that they had gotten away with the bombings, as evidenced by #2's behavior in returning to his dorm and going to a party on Wednesday. It wasn't until their photos were released at 5:20 p.m. on Thursday that it was clear they would be identified soon, and that is when they went into action. They stopped at the convenience store to get gas as the tank of the car they hijacked was nearly empty - they had no choice but to get gas. #2 probably told the guy they were the bombers to scare him enough to make him cooperate. They had two cars at the time of the hijacking, and transferred stuff from the trunk of one into the trunk of the hijacked Mercedes.

Your ETA: "Less than 3 hours after the bombings, the FBI released pics of the two suspects on the FBI's website." This is not true. Photos were not released until Thursday at 5:20 p.m. Photos were posted on social media sites by people who had taken pictures at the Marathon.

I recommend you go and read the indictment that was posted by Elan - most of your questions can be answered there.

Last edited by C2ShiningC; 04-23-2013 at 11:19 AM..

Old 04-23-2013, 02:18 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,965,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2ShiningC View Post
On Question 1 again, you are talking about two separate incidents. The suspects did not flee the scene of the bombings in the way you are describing - in fact, as of my info last night, nobody knows how they left the scene of the bombings on Monday, except that #2 was photographed walking away from the scene on Boylston and appearing to turn north on Fairfield. The situation you are talking about including fleeing in a Mercedes, throwing explosives and exchanging gunfire all occurred three days later on Thursday.

Re: Question 2, I believe they felt secure that they had gotten away with the bombings, as evidenced by #2's behavior in returning to his dorm and going to a party on Wednesday. It wasn't until their photos were released at 5:20 p.m. on Thursday that it was clear they would be identified soon, and that is when they went into action. They stopped at the convenience store to get gas as the tank of the car they hijacked was nearly empty - they had no choice but to get gas. #2 probably told the guy they were the bombers to scare him enough to make him cooperate. They had two cars at the time of the hijacking, and transferred stuff from the trunk of one into the trunk of the hijacked Mercedes.

Your ETA: "Less than 3 hours after the bombings, the FBI released pics of the two suspects on the FBI's website." This is not true. Photos were not released until Thursday at 5:20 p.m. Photos were posted on social media sites by people who had taken pictures at the Marathon.

I recommend you go and read the indictment that was posted by Elan - most of your questions can be answered there.
OK, thanks for setting the facts straight.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:04 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Tamerlan was gravely injured and on the ground when his brother backed over him. I suspect he could not even be seen. There is no reason to think that was intentional.
or, the cops may have dragged Tamerlan (like one of those spike strips) out in the way of Junior as he was fleeing. Not that there'd be anything wrong with that mind you.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:13 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
or, the cops may have dragged Tamerlan (like one of those spike strips) out in the way of Junior as he was fleeing. Not that there'd be anything wrong with that mind you.
Nah, I think the cops were too busy dodging bullets, homemade grenades, and the car themselves.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:58 PM

18,705 posts, read 33,372,489 times
One cop had tackled T as he stopped to reload, which is when Junior ran the car over him- the cops were on T, trying to cuff him, and the cops jumped out of the way and Jr. ran over T and drove a few blocks, jumped out of the car and ran off. There were only a few cops. Someone somewhere said "hundreds of cops" and that was not the case. I believe it was, at most, six.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:12 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,036,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
One cop had tackled T as he stopped to reload, which is when Junior ran the car over him- the cops were on T, trying to cuff him, and the cops jumped out of the way and Jr. ran over T and drove a few blocks, jumped out of the car and ran off. There were only a few cops. Someone somewhere said "hundreds of cops" and that was not the case. I believe it was, at most, six.
At 12:50 a.m., the SUV stopped in a residential neighborhood in Watertown. The brothers opened fire, igniting a gun battle witnessed by neighbors peering from houses. One of them, Andrew Kitzenberg, 29, said he saw two men engaged in “constant gunfire” with police. Richard J. Donohue, 33, a three-year veteran of the transit police force, was shot and seriously wounded during the confrontation.

After more than 200 rounds were traded over several minutes, some officers were out of ammunition and charged the brothers’ position with their police car. The vehicle was disabled by gunfire from the Mercedes. Kitzenberg said he saw one of the shooters toss a metallic object — possibly a pressure-cooker bomb similar to the ones used in the marathon attack — in the direction of the police line. It rolled a few yards before detonating harmlessly.

Tamerlan Tsarnaev, now out of his car, attempted to lob a makeshift bomb at police, but the device exploded in his hand. While Tamerlan Tsarnaev was firing a pistol with the other hand, police tackled and tried to subdue the 200-pound amateur boxer.

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, apparently intending to help his brother, tried to ram the officers with the Mercedes. Instead, the officers lunged out of the vehicle’s path and he ran over his brother and dragged him along the street before speeding off with police in pursuit.

Officers found the Mercedes abandoned and quickly sealed off neighborhoods in Watertown as they began a street-by-street search for the suspect. But police acknowledged later that there were not enough officers to establish a solid perimeter and that the suspect, who may have been wounded, had escaped.
How string of events involving Tsarnaev brothers unfolded - The Washington Post

Old 04-23-2013, 10:26 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,489,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
At 12:50 a.m., the SUV stopped in a residential neighborhood in Watertown. The brothers opened fire, igniting a gun battle witnessed by neighbors peering from houses. One of them, Andrew Kitzenberg, 29, said he saw two men engaged in “constant gunfire” with police. Richard J. Donohue, 33, a three-year veteran of the transit police force, was shot and seriously wounded during the confrontation.

After more than 200 rounds were traded over several minutes, some officers were out of ammunition and charged the brothers’ position with their police car. The vehicle was disabled by gunfire from the Mercedes. Kitzenberg said he saw one of the shooters toss a metallic object — possibly a pressure-cooker bomb similar to the ones used in the marathon attack — in the direction of the police line. It rolled a few yards before detonating harmlessly.

Tamerlan Tsarnaev, now out of his car, attempted to lob a makeshift bomb at police, but the device exploded in his hand. While Tamerlan Tsarnaev was firing a pistol with the other hand, police tackled and tried to subdue the 200-pound amateur boxer.

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, apparently intending to help his brother, tried to ram the officers with the Mercedes. Instead, the officers lunged out of the vehicle’s path and he ran over his brother and dragged him along the street before speeding off with police in pursuit.

Officers found the Mercedes abandoned and quickly sealed off neighborhoods in Watertown as they began a street-by-street search for the suspect. But police acknowledged later that there were not enough officers to establish a solid perimeter and that the suspect, who may have been wounded, had escaped.
How string of events involving Tsarnaev brothers unfolded - The Washington Post
Damn, its like Grand Theft Auto in real life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events