Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2013, 03:30 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,728,000 times

Advertisements

The immigration reform measure the Senate began debating yesterday would create a national biometric database of virtually every adult in the U.S., in what privacy groups fear could be the first step to a ubiquitous national identification system.

Buried in the more than 800 pages of the bipartisan legislation is language mandating the creation of the innocuously-named “photo tool,” a massive federal database administered by the Department of Homeland Security and containing names, ages, Social Security numbers and photographs of everyone in the country with a driver’s license or other state-issued photo ID.

Biometric Database of All Adult Americans Hidden in Immigration Reform | Threat Level | Wired.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 10:03 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times
The government knows more about each and every one of us than we know and remember about ourselves. They “already” have data base info at the fed level and can access the state level of data as well.

Unless you have never gone to school, never served in the military, never got married, never went to a hospital, never checked out a library book, never received a state drivers license, never bought property, never had parents or siblings, never had a credit or debit card – then they wouldn’t know who you are.

I don’t worry about the government knowing more about me, I fear those who live in the woods, a dark cave, live underground or hide in the mountains trying to avoid the government. They seem to fear the government and appear to be overly paranoid, they are the ones to fear! I fear those who want to takeover the government!

My library book overdue fee didn’t get paid so now I have to worry about the government knocking at my door.

Also my guns are not registered! OMG !

Last edited by AksarbeN; 05-12-2013 at 10:37 AM..

Old 05-12-2013, 07:04 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,954,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
The immigration reform measure the Senate began debating yesterday would create a national biometric database of virtually every adult in the U.S., in what privacy groups fear could be the first step to a ubiquitous national identification system.

Buried in the more than 800 pages of the bipartisan legislation is language mandating the creation of the innocuously-named “photo tool,” a massive federal database administered by the Department of Homeland Security and containing names, ages, Social Security numbers and photographs of everyone in the country with a driver’s license or other state-issued photo ID.

Biometric Database of All Adult Americans Hidden in Immigration Reform | Threat Level | Wired.com
You don't think that database already exists? This is just the attempt to legitimize it. Do something in secret, never admit to it and wait until some opportune time to announce a law authorizing it. Then shortly thereafter say many years, decades even, were devoted to preparing for the eventuality and the brilliance of foresight and vision were responsible for it.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:44 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Well, the Orwellian shenanigans actually begin with the use of the word "reform" when speaking of an effort to allow illegals to remain here legitimately. After that bit of fraud, everything else is unsurprising.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:55 AM

21,140 posts, read 19,722,567 times
I'm totally in favor of this...and not just for immigration reasons. Current forms of identification (drivers license) are inadequate.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:32 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
I think a national ID card (issued to American citizens only) would be an excellent start. Driver's licenses should not be legitimate forms of picture ID.

The national ID would be required to vote, required to access benefits reserved for American citizens, required as proof of age to buy alcohol or cigarettes, required to buy firearms, etc. It should also supercede a state issued driver's license; with all the technology we have nowadays, you can load a state driver's license's information onto that national ID no problem.

We should issue an alternate picture ID to people here on visas, but it should be demonstrably different from the national ID, e.g. a different color PLUS different orientation, i.e. portrait instead of landscape, etc. The IDs should have a chip and should carry biometric information about the holder (fingerprints) and should be tamper-proof to the point where if you attempted to take apart the ID, the chip would be destroyed. Likewise it should be encrypted out the wazoo. Each ID should have a unique ID number not printed anywhere on the ID itself so if the card is lost or stolen, a new one is issued with a new unique ID number and the old one is removed/flagged in the DB so if anyone tries to use it for anything, BAM!

It'll never happen. But it's what should happen. We need a strong national ID that protects our identities as much as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events