Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 08:22 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,404,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by factoryrat View Post
the law is the law.

What part of that don't you get? You play, you pay.

And give me a break; no "contact high" would last two states (as if there is such a thing anyway). What color is the unicorn you are riding?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 08:34 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,352,792 times
Well, seems like people who are under the influence of substances should not be driving anyway. Yes, THC stays in your system a long time, but smoking pot is still illegal.

So, easy solution, stop doing drugs.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:48 AM

7,183 posts, read 4,764,578 times
Driving high is as bad as driving drunk. You want to get high into oblivion? Do it in your home, not on the road.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:59 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,710,473 times
Are all of you high? Did you even read the article? The test does not determine if you are "under the influence", as no such test exists, at least not in a cheap field applicable form. They're merely testing for the presence of THC in the system, the same as any drug test given for employment. THC can stay in your system for weeks, while its impairing effects only last a few hours. So you can be convicted of DUI when you have zero impairment. For those who support such nonsense, do you think it would be fair to convict someone of DUI if they drank a beer a week ago? This is no different. My guess is this law will get tossed by the court.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:16 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,001,123 times
Default Here's the problem

When it comes to THC what constitutes impaired? What level of concentration do you have to be at to be considered impaired enough to not be safe to drive?

Exactly. Nobody really knows for sure yet and so it will end up going to a court challenge. Don't like it?
That leaves you with 2 choices. Don't smoke it and drive or stay in the states where it's allowed.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:23 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Well, seems like people who are under the influence of substances should not be driving anyway. Yes, THC stays in your system a long time, but smoking pot is still illegal.

So, easy solution, stop doing drugs.

In some places it is. And of course, you can have THC in the system but not be under the influence. Most everyone knows this.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:27 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,710,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
When it comes to THC what constitutes impaired? What level of concentration do you have to be at to be considered impaired enough to not be safe to drive?

Exactly. Nobody really knows for sure yet and so it will end up going to a court challenge. Don't like it?
That leaves you with 2 choices. Don't smoke it and drive or stay in the states where it's allowed.
Honestly, that is a ridiculous answer and a intellectually dishonest one as well. There are numerous drugs for which impairment can't not easily be measured with a neat little scale, people aren't thrown in jail because of them. Here is an easily place to start. "Does the driver appear to be impaired?". Technically driving under the influence of Benadryl or Nyquil is also illegal, but I doubt people are being tested for cold medicine they took days ago.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:45 AM

44,622 posts, read 61,590,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by factoryrat View Post
The police in Maricopa AZ can test you for pot when they pull you over, even if it's just for a tail light. .
This is a ridiculous statement. I've been pulled over twice here in AZ for a broken headlight, no ticket just a repair order, and never even been asked to take a drug test.

Now if I acted strange or goofy then maybe I would've been asked to take one. And according to the police, one out of every 4 drivers are impaired, so it's reasonable for you to be tested if you act like you're impaired. It's for your safety as well as others on the road. If you were impaired and the cop let you go and then down the road you had an accident and killed someone that cop could be held responsible.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:50 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Driving high is as bad as driving drunk. You want to get high into oblivion? Do it in your home, not on the road.
Completely agree with this. Unfortunately it has nothing to do with what they are doing in Arizona or this law.

For those who say so what, they are doing something illegal even if they smoked 2 weeks ago at home - I find it scary that people are okay with disregarding the Constitution as long as they have done something illegal, even if it's a misdemeanor in many states.

I also highly doubt this law will be enacted without a lot of profiling and will not be equally applied. Hispanic kids with broken taillight = forced blood test on side of road...soccer mom in van with broken taillight = "have that fixed, Ma'am, and have a nice day".

Old 10-01-2013, 09:57 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
This is a ridiculous statement. I've been pulled over twice here in AZ for a broken headlight, no ticket just a repair order, and never even been asked to take a drug test.

Now if I acted strange or goofy then maybe I would've been asked to take one. And according to the police, one out of every 4 drivers are impaired, so it's reasonable for you to be tested if you act like you're impaired. It's for your safety as well as others on the road. If you were impaired and the cop let you go and then down the road you had an accident and killed someone that cop could be held responsible.
You're missing the point that simply having THC is your system does NOT mean you were driving impaired. It could very well mean you smoked a joint at a party a week ago, yet they face the same punishment as someone who is driving at 2x the legal drinking limit and a danger to everyone around him, how does that make sense to anyone?

Meanwhile study after study now showing taking Ambien the night before makes people impaired driving the next day, but that is perfectly fine to most and has no legal consequences.

I do not believe this has to do with safety at all, I think it's just another way Arizona figured out to harass Mexicans and have them go to other states instead. Which is why most people here will say "I got pulled over for a broken taillight and I didn't get blood tested".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events