Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 08:03 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,948,595 times

Advertisements

When my youngest son took his two girls - 12 and 8 - for Trick or Treat, some people were so impressed by the fact that they did a "performance" for the candy that they called neighbors and told them to be on the look-out for the two sisters who did "The Cup Song". Several people were delighted that they said "Thank you, Happy Hallowe'en" and gave them extra candy for politeness.

Seems the kids who show up in the vans don't tell a joke, sing a little song, recite a little verse. Just want the candy. And when they get it they don't bother to be polite.

People have their own reasons for no longer enjoying the tradition of little kids dressing up and begging for a piece of candy. The little kids have grown into surly teens with no manners or sense of fun. It has essentially become about intimidation and while the Lord loveth a cheerful giver, the Giver loveth a "thank you" now and again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 08:06 AM

427 posts, read 947,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
I certainly hope YOU didn't take part in Halloween when you were a kid. Then again, that would probably explain a lot.
Maybe you can't read. The question was about homes with the lights off.

When you were a kid, did you go ring the doorbells of homes that had the lights off? You must have, that would probably explain a lot.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:16 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,385,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I hadn't had neighborhood kids for years but I still bought candy for the ones that were dropped off. I don't blame the kids if the parents live in an unsafe or unwalkable area. It is only once a year! I enjoyed going when I was a kid and I wasn't going to be a scrooge.

I live in a 55+ community now so no trick or treat.
I don't mind the teens or drop off kids. Halloween is a time for fun and being childish. All the teens who came to my door were polite and loved getting something. I gave them glow in the dark vampire teeth and the majority put them on right after leaving the door. I heard a lot of "Cool", "Thanks lady", and "Vampire teeth!". Maybe I just like kids.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:26 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,172,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
Driving kids from your 'hood to mine so they can run around and hit me and my neighbors up for candy triggers my "trick" reflex - cold sprinklers before 7, pepper spray after.

I got a better one. A chalk outline on the sidewalk next to an empty "skittles" bag.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:28 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,516,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
I got a better one. A chalk outline on the sidewalk next to an empty "skittles" bag.
Yes, that certainly would be charming for all the little 6 and 7 year olds to see.

I'll bet you are a blast at Halloween parties.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:32 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,002,224 times
I am sure they were aware that houses without a porch light on were not participating, and they just did not care. Maybe they figure (or are able) to coax something out of those houses frequently enough that they give them a try.

Some folks might be intimidated into giving something over to a group of teens on the porch at night.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:33 AM

3,125 posts, read 5,049,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
So the kids in my hood usually trick or treat in packs. As usual, we got separated and there were only 4 trick or treaters in our group...6 year olds. I was talking and realized they were at a door with the porch light off, so I had to tell them they had to look for the light. Later, we were at another house and they we walking up to it and I said, "look, no porchlight", but my son said "see, the light is on inside..." He didn't realize it was only the porch light that needed to be on. Gasp, he was THIS close to ringing a door without a porchlight.
Good point. Someone has to teach a kid about porch lights off. No point getting ticked off about it if they don't have parents to teach them what is good and bad Halloween etiquette. When I was a kid I didn't know this when I was real young and remember someone had to tell me at some time.

We had some people in our neighborhood who didn't want to give me candy when I was about 9 because I was super tall compared to my friends and they thought I was older, even though I was in costume. We don't judge our trick or treaters. While I really enjoy seeing the neighborhood kids I know, I especially like the van loads of kids as you get a huge mix and it is clearly a family activity. Lots of the adults are dressed up but they don't come to the door. If they do we give them candy to.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:40 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,818,209 times
There's an unwritten rule about Halloween, and it's just as you say: light off means no trick-or-treaters. Since so many are accompanied by what appears to be every parent in the group (not fer nothin', but it looks like the Mormon Tabernacle Choir standing outside when I open the door), one would think they'd direct the kids.

Anyway, that's the drill. Put on your outside light. Then at around 9 p.m. you can have fun peeking out your own front door to see if the other neighbors have turned theirs off yet--and see them peeking out, too.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:55 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,183,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Yeah, us teens were too busy egging houses and smashing pumpkins to bother begging for treats! ...
Agreed, that is what a few teenagers were doing, sure not trick or treating.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:21 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,559,063 times
I'd say most kids know that lights off means the home is not participating. As this was one group of teens, I'd say that's pretty obvious.

Not addresses to the OP, but lots of grinches posting here, sheesh, it's once a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events