Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 08:02 AM

17,354 posts, read 22,108,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
They are working at huge discounts considering the size of the budgets/organizations they oversee.

I got that, I was just posting the info for the poster above me.....

But you do have to wonder how much "upper management" siphons out of the donations of these huge organizations. It is very similar to celebrity charities (golf outing for example), they show 200K collected but after all the expenses are paid it can sometimes be less than 10% actually given to the charity!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 09:07 AM

9,825 posts, read 11,565,256 times
What an Damn fool!

Old 12-18-2013, 11:46 AM

5,494 posts, read 3,942,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I am really not that surprised to see this from a Canadian.
My first thought.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:48 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,031,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
My first thought.
Why is this? The vast majority of lottery winners in Canada DON'T do this. A very few give some or all of their winnings to charity, but then so do a very few in the US, Australia, the UK, etc. It's always newsworthy because it's SO RARE.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
What an Damn fool!
The guy was already golfing in Palm Springs before being informed of his win. Something tells me he'll survive without hoarding the money.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Why is this? The vast majority of lottery winners in Canada DON'T do this. A very few give some or all of their winnings to charity, but then so do a very few in the US, Australia, the UK, etc. It's always newsworthy because it's SO RARE.

It being my first thought doesn't mean it would necessarily be my last thought. Unlike you, I live on the Canadian border, and thus encounter my fair share of Canadians (not saying that you haven't at some point, but your location in TX reduces the odds that you have). They are generally nicer people than Americans. Incredibly overgeneralized, yes, but enough anecdotal evidence to justify my first thought that I was not surprised that a Canadian would do this. Heuristics/bias and all that.

Edit to say that my first thought was moreso "I'm not surprised to see that it was a Canadian who did this" as opposed to "I'm not surprised that a Canadian would do this", since as you pointed out, it's statistically improbable for a citizen of any given nation to do this. But given that someone did it, I'm not surprised to hear he's Canadian. (And yes, this is still open to statistical refutation, if you could show me data that show that this sort of act is statistically more common in the US than in Canada...my biases would need revision if so)

Last edited by Matt Marcinkiewicz; 12-18-2013 at 12:03 PM..

Old 12-18-2013, 12:01 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,031,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
It being my first thought doesn't mean it would necessarily be my last thought. Unlike you, I live on the Canadian border, and thus encounter my fair share of Canadians (not saying that you haven't at some point, but your location in TX reduces the odds that you have). They are generally nicer people than Americans. Incredibly overgeneralized, yes, but enough anecdotal evidence to justify my first thought that I was not surprised that a Canadian would do this. Heuristics/bias and all that.
Actually, I've had a lot of exposure to Canadians, believe it or not. I personally don't find them any nicer in general than any other group of people. Oh well.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:08 PM

35,738 posts, read 21,100,137 times
Quote:
Actually, I've had a lot of exposure to Canadians, believe it or not. I personally don't find them any nicer in general than any other group of people. Oh well.

I will give you a high 5 on this one. and sorry to my Canadian friend of 15 yrs ---You stand above the rest dearie! - most pompous,, (to me)

Old 12-18-2013, 12:17 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,456,675 times
First, lets clear up a few things, folks.

The man's family name is CRIST. Not Christ.

The foundation that he has started, was set in motion AFTER he won the lottery, which was back in MAY of this year. He did NOT tell anyone, including his family about the win, until this week, when he claimed the prize. His wife died of cancer two years ago. His grown children are all University grads, with professional careers, and they don't need any more money, nor does HE.

He is going to give most of the prize money to a cancer treatment centre, near his home in Alberta, where his wife was treated two years ago. She died.

Yes he was playing golf in California. So what ? He paid for the trip out of his own pocket, before he claimed the prize money this week.

In Canada, if you win a lottery, you get ALL of the money, no taxes are deducted, at all.

Jim B.

Toronto.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:19 PM

536 posts, read 830,901 times
Quote:
Agreed. Canada has nice people, and they have rude people, they have generous people, and they have greedy people. Just like everywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events