Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2014, 11:18 AM

1,265 posts, read 3,461,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
I've started to read some of the 1,000+ comments at the SFGATE. Com. Many write thoughts I have about this situation, including wondering if "the doctors" who performed the procedures are licensed or licensed in CA. There are some insightful comments.

But most agree this family has lost track of who really mattered. A 13 y.o. who isn't receiving the dignity and respect she deserves at the end of her life.

MSR
Interesting question. Of course, one must have a medical license to perform surgery on living people. However, if she is dead, this requirement may be a little more lax. My father is law has legally performed surgery on thousands of people, and has never had a medical license. He is, however, a very well respected mortician.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 05:26 PM

14,944 posts, read 12,136,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I'm sure she was monitored, but probably wasn't on one-on-one observation with a nurse sitting at her bedside. They were probably doing checks of her at timed intervals. If the postop instructions were followed, probably nothing would have happened. But if, as has been reported, her family was giving her food to eat, trying to get her to talk (which she wasn't supposed to do), and SUCTIONING her, any or all of those things could have caused the bleeding. When you have a tonsillectomy a blood clot forms in the tonsillar fossa on each side. Suctioning or eating or talking could have dislodged that clot and caused her to start hemorrhaging.
I hadn't realized that she was in the PICU following her surgery. In the PICU's I saw in the hospitals I worked in over the years did pretty much have the 1:1 patient:nurse staffing, but perhaps things have changed. And of course suctioning a patient following that surgery, insisting that she talk, eat would of course dislodge clots and start bleeding. But family members doing such things in the PICU???? I can't even imagine any medical staff who observed such activity on the part of anyone who was NOT a member of the staff wouldn't have stopped them, and if the family insisted on continuing to "treat" this child, have them thrown out of the unit, perhaps the hospital, for interfering with the care of a patient.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:07 PM

1,265 posts, read 3,461,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I hadn't realized that she was in the PICU following her surgery. ..
She was indeed. Furthermore, the PICU admission was planned prior to the surgery, given the complexity of the multiple procedures that were performed, and the know risk of these procedures. This was not, by any means, a routine matter, as the media reported early on. The surgeon knew the risks, and I am certain the family was notified of the risks (including bleeding and death), in writing, well before the surgery took place.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:13 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,436,015 times
Default My Thought Too

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucheGA View Post
Interesting question. Of course, one must have a medical license to perform surgery on living people. However, if she is dead, this requirement may be a little more lax. My father is law has legally performed surgery on thousands of people, and has never had a medical license. He is, however, a very well respected mortician.
ToucheGA,

You posted exactly what I've been wondering. Maybe it was a combo of a previously licensed physician directing a mortician. That comment is in no way meant to be disrespectful of morticians. I just wonder how the attorney keeps talking about "doctors." But many practitioners are called doctor. That doesn't mean they attended medical school.

I've wondered about a mortuary as a location to place the G tube as well, as let's just say that.setting would have some needed equipment to address the breakdown of certain body systems, like G.I.

Thanks for your post. I hope you found some of the SF GATE comments as insightful and reflective as so many posted here.

MSR

Old 01-11-2014, 12:23 AM

Default Dr. Flori was Thorough IMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
Yes, her body has been decomposing from some time. Within a week or so of brain death, the brain itself begins the process of lysis. Lysis is the technical term for the brain turning to mush. It won't totally liquify, but has become the consistency of pudding or apple sauce. It will never go back to its original form.

This is the testimony of one of the doctors as to what is also going on as her body decomposes. It's long but read through it.

http://media.nbcbayarea.com/documents/HeidiFlori.pdf
Thanks for posting this again, willow wind, for those who may not have seen it earlier. Dr. Flori is the Critical Care physician who directs the PICU at CHO.

I thought she was as delicate as she could be while explaining medical facts. I don't understand what was too complex for the judge to understand

MSR

Old 01-11-2014, 01:17 AM

Default That is the $250,000 - $30 Million Dollar Question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
This is just so morbid. They are just propping up a dead body. Why don't they understand this?
blueherons,

Had CHO understood who or what was really behind this macabre situation, perhaps they could resolved it 3 weeks ago.

At this point I'm beginning to wonder how many different voices have gotten the mom's attention and she hears what she wants.

I do get concerned how laws could be changed in CA due to this tragedy. I hope anyone from CA will email his/her State Senators and Reps. to address this pro - actively and make sure those who are representing you and your family, understand brain death vs. severe brain damage, as well as you do.

Maybe we all should email those who represent us at the Legislature regardless of which state we live in. Being pro - active can't hurt addressing what decisions a judge should be ruling on. Then having him essentially practicing medicine by ignoring the opinion of the Stanford Pediatric Neurologist, which the judge said he would follow but instead he granted another stay (and delay).

IMHO, the judge absolutely had a role increasing the denial and allowing the family to make claims to the media which may or may not be true. Judges get elected. I hope locals will write his name down so when it comes time to vote, he can be replaced.

And I'm deeply bothered their attorney is on the commission trying to increase award amounts in malpractice cases. Nothing like having video, pics etc. of this teen's body to present of why settlements need to increase.

I honestly think an email to your Legislature Reps and Senator wouldn't hurt anyone, but especially in CA.

Have we lost all respect and dignity for a human who has passed? I hope not!!!

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 01-11-2014 at 02:37 AM..

Old 01-11-2014, 01:33 AM

Default Absolutely Correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
The fact that her body is going through the deconposition process despite her heart/lungs moving shows you that once the brain is gone, you're basically gone.
riaelise,

You summed the situation quite well. For those who wanted to be organ donors, usually there are a few more hours until the teams that are procuring organs can fly in.

Organ donation isn't an issue with this 13 y.o.; however, for families who do donate organs and/or tissues, that is one reason a "donor" is given a new admission/Medical Records number. Not only does the family cease to be responsible for the costs, surgeons from outside facilities can order tests they need to know about an organ, plus medications used to keep the donor stable, if possible, and perhaps other medical orders can be directed by the surgeons who will remove the organs (working with the ICU staff).

Otherwise, that is why is why the team tries to get the family members there ASAP to say their good-byes. Nothing is certain in a brain dead patient. Sometimes breathing/ heart beat and or bp can't bd maintained just stop responding when the brainstem is dead.

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 01-11-2014 at 02:43 AM..

Old 01-11-2014, 06:52 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,422,324 times
What happened to Jahi has me digging around for information on brain death and if reversing it is being researched.

Anyway, I came across an interesting abstract about a man who was declared brain dead after being treated with induced hypothermia. Reversible brain death after cardiopulmonary a... [Crit Care Med. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

I know it's not the same as I doubt they tried induced hypothermia and Jahi has had more than enough time to wake up if she were going to, but it's interesting nonetheless.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:05 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Default "You're not dead until you are warm and dead"

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
What happened to Jahi has me digging around for information on brain death and if reversing it is being researched.

Anyway, I came across an interesting abstract about a man who was declared brain dead after being treated with induced hypothermia. Reversible brain death after cardiopulmonary a... [Crit Care Med. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

I know it's not the same as I doubt they tried induced hypothermia and Jahi has had more than enough time to wake up if she were going to, but it's interesting nonetheless.
Duluth woman: Freezing and alone, waiting to die | Star Tribune

Old 01-12-2014, 01:47 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post

Thanks for your post. I hope you found some of the SF GATE comments as insightful and reflective as so many posted here.

MSR
MSR, do you have a link for the SF Gate comments? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events