Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2014, 09:38 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,091,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1972 View Post
I have kids, 6 and 8. I've taken them lots of places including some nicer restaurants. However, children and babies do not belong at Alinea. It's not an appropriate atmosphere and everyone is paying lots of $$$ to have that experience and no one wants to listen to your fussy baby on their big night out. If the sitter cancelled last minute, well sorry you have to cancel your dinner. It's annoying but it's just one of the many things that change in your life when you have kids!

I've been to Alinea and I did not bring my kids!! Nor would I want to!
This.

I have a child as well. We have to deal with her crying at home. Sometimes, when we need a break from parenting, we'll have my parents watch her and we'll go out. When we are out having dinner, the last thing we want to hear is some other kid crying because the parents didn't make arrangements for a sitter or something.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:48 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
I wouldn't take my son to Chuck E Cheese because all they serve is crap.
He is 2, and from the get-go he has eaten fresh, whole food, heavy on the veggies.
He is not a chicken finger kid.
He is a steamed veggie, baked salmon, and fresh fruit kid.

He eats Thai food, Indian food, sushi, etc. "Family restaurant" usually = low end garbage barely fit for human consumption.

That being said, I would not take him to an upscale restaurant because *I* want to relax and enjoy the experience. And as humans, we do have a social obligation to each other to think of how others would feel.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:57 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Can you feel the love tonight........

Old 01-18-2014, 01:28 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,738,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
I've dined at Alinea. The bill for two ended up being $1100. Once you add wine into the mix it can get very pricey.

It's not foolish or vain to spend money on a once in a lifetime experience like that, and it certainly should not be ruined by a screaming child.
once in a lifetime ..for what...no thanks, I wouldnt be able to sleep nights spending that on a meal.. my partner and I get that in pounds to keep us for four weeks.. think about it.... it shouldnt be how much your paying to have peace to enjoy it....

Old 01-18-2014, 02:04 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,171,054 times
One of the comments had it right on. "You wouldn't bring whiskey to a chuck e. cheese, so why do breeders bring their crotch fruit to a high end restaurant."

Old 01-18-2014, 05:50 AM

914 posts, read 942,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemdiver View Post
One of the comments had it right on. "You wouldn't bring whiskey to a chuck e. cheese, so why do breeders bring their crotch fruit to a high end restaurant."
I have coffee all over my screen now, thank you very much! You snarfed me but good! Crotch fruit!! I never laughed so hard...dammit...

Old 01-18-2014, 06:38 AM
dpf

132 posts, read 316,143 times
Regardless of when or where (restaurants, movies, theaters, or church) the following statement should hold true.

"Crying children are like good intentions. They should be carried out immediately."

Old 01-18-2014, 07:19 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemdiver View Post
The snark in this statement exposes your disdain for all kids and weakens your argument (which I actually agree with) because it seems less like the noise bothers you and more like the kid itself is the problem.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:51 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,666,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
I've dined at Alinea. The bill for two ended up being $1100. Once you add wine into the mix it can get very pricey.

It's not foolish or vain to spend money on a once in a lifetime experience like that, and it certainly should not be ruined by a screaming child.
Oh, believe me, I agree you should not have to put up with screaming kids. Anywhere. I just can't imagine paying that kind of money to dine out. But you're right: If you can afford it, go for it. I have never had that kind of money and likely never will.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:00 AM

30,254 posts, read 23,725,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeatheist View Post
I do this thing called parenting. My children, age 9, and 4, sit at the table quietly, and eat their food.
Last month, I was at a restaurant when a gentlemen went up to the counter, bought 2 deserts, and gave them to my children for being well behaved.

Because of ****ty parenting by others, I'm now indiscriminately banned from certain places with my kids.
All because you don't want to risk hearing some sounds?

Sounds a hell of a lot like segregation logic. "I don't like black people, don't let them in my restaurant."

Humans are such selfish *******s.
No. They are not. What is selfish is for a parent to give the attitude that we have to accept their children's tempter tantrums.

"He's just a chiiiiild!"

But the parent is not. The parent has the responsibility to either raise their kids to behave themselves when out in public, or to leave those kids at home. A parent with a screaming, out of control child demanding that everyone else just suck it up and deal with it would be the same as me going to Chuck E Cheese and demanding that every child sit down quietly. There are proper venues for kids, and there are places that kids should NOT be going to if they are either ill behaved, or if their parents have no idea how to parent.

It's not selfish to want to spend an enjoyable evening out. You are not the only one on the planet who should get to enjoy a night out. You are not the only one who worked hard for that money to spend on a night out. When a parent insists that other people put up with their screaming, sobbing, whiny kid, that makes them selfish *******s!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events