Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2014, 10:30 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,544,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
What does it serve you to still be angry with a man over a crime he did 7 years ago? a crime to which he has been punished for? it's just silly really. I wish the same anger would be equal for all the people that get off doing worse things than torturing animals(that thankfully have been rescued and saved).
Im not a Vick apologist, I just choose not to condemn people who made bad decisions, paid the price and are trying to move on with their lives. I also see no point in projecting my values and morals on those that clearly have little in common with me. I think it's odd to love an animal more than a human being(which I suspect is one of the reasons people that love dogs more than human beings hate him). To each their own. I'm glad Vick is doing better and that people like those of city data have no bearing on his life. :-)
Do tell where in my post I indicated that I loved animals more than human beings. It is possible that I could love SOME animals over SOME human beings. If I had to choose between rescuing say, Charles Manson, over my little Yorkie - little Yorkie is gonna win every time.

Do also tell how in the world responding to a thread on CD would prevent Vick from moving on with his life. Do I think he should move on? Yes. Do I think he is any kind of role model that others should pattern themselves after? No.

Do I think about Vick? Not unless I'm responding to a post on CD so I certainly don't carry with me some untold amount of 'anger'. I think what he did was vile. I think a person who can torture an animal probably has very deep seated issues that are quite possibly sociapathic. I would not want to associate in any form with someone with these tendencies nor would I want my children to.

That's just what I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 10:54 AM

3,063 posts, read 3,274,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Do tell where in my post I indicated that I loved animals more than human beings. It is possible that I could love SOME animals over SOME human beings. If I had to choose between rescuing say, Charles Manson, over my little Yorkie - little Yorkie is gonna win every time.

Do also tell how in the world responding to a thread on CD would prevent Vick from moving on with his life. Do I think he should move on? Yes. Do I think he is any kind of role model that others should pattern themselves after? No.

Do I think about Vick? Not unless I'm responding to a post on CD so I certainly don't carry with me some untold amount of 'anger'. I think what he did was vile. I think a person who can torture an animal probably has very deep seated issues that are quite possibly sociapathic. I would not want to associate in any form with someone with these tendencies nor would I want my children to.

That's just what I think.
I never said that you specifically loved animals more than human beings, BUT that there were two posters in this thread that indicated as much(one even came out and said) and I suspected that there anger toward Vick 7 years later, stems from their feelings about animals versus human life. That might not be the case for you. You might just really find him a despicable person.

You might not be able to physically prevent him from moving on, but your thoughts about him, your words on this thread, and the fact that you think he shouldn't be able to speak at this event illustrates the fact that you don't really *feel* that he should be able to move on. If you really felt that he should be able to move on, then you wouldn't give two hoots about his decision to speak at this event. The fact that you are against it, (despite the fact that he is reformed, paid his dues, and is trying to make positives changes in his life) indicates to me at least, that you believe that this mistake he made 7 years ago should be held against him--preventing him from doing things(that prior to these charges he was doing anyway). Now maybe I'm wrong, but that's my take.

I don't try to understand why he did what he did. He did it, he made amends, paid the price, and now he's trying to live his life. There really isn't any reason for me to try to analyze what type of man he is, or whether he is this evil sociopath for doing what he did. That isn't my call to make, and personally I can't imagine trying to assign someone with a mental disorder when I don't even know that person outside of that situation(one aspect of his life) that occurred 7 years ago. What's more, who made you the authority on who should be a role-model? You certainly have the right to project your ideals on to your children and feel that he can't be a role-model for THEM, but that's about it... Again, he might very well be a role-model to millions of other people who have seen past these actions and can relate to him in other ways. His story also illustrates how one can still recover from terrible decisions and bounce back.

I understand these are your feelings and thoughts on him. That's fine. Really we all have different feelings and thoughts on him since the dog-fighting. I just can't hold bad decisions against someone who is trying to move on with their life. To each their own, I suppose.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:57 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,278,235 times
And after 13 pages of a tl;dr thread, the Chamber is rescheduling the event due to snow, and Michael Vick won't be able to attend.
Raleigh Chamber event rescheduled; Vick won't appear :: WRAL.com

Divine intervention.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:06 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,359,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post

Freudian slip?
NOPE.......The truth.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
I never understood how a person can love animals more than human beings but I don't have to understand it. It's your prerogative. I put more stock into human beings and I see nothing wrong with Vick moving on with his life after paying his dues. I also think that he has lived with the bad decisions he has made and he has accepted his mistakes and has moved on even if there are people that don't want him to be able to!
My dogs give me unconditional love.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
And after 13 pages of a tl;dr thread, the Chamber is rescheduling the event due to snow, and Michael Vick won't be able to attend.

Divine intervention.
Good deal!!!!

Old 02-11-2014, 11:13 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,278,235 times
Quote:
... I see nothing wrong with Vick moving on with his life after paying his dues.
Sure! Let him move on with his life! He doesn't need a podium and a microphone to move on with his life.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:29 AM

3,063 posts, read 3,274,644 times
Quote:
Sure! Let him move on with his life! He doesn't need a podium and a microphone to move on with his life.
Says who? You? Are you the authority on how someone *should* be moving on with their life? What if speaking at this event, was ONE of the ways that he DECIDED that he wanted to use as an attempt move on with his life? Does it really matter that much to you?

I sure hope that you wouldn't be okay with other people(that barely know you) telling you how you should be fixing your life.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:52 PM

4,587 posts, read 4,219,635 times
Quote:
I never said that you specifically loved animals more than human beings, BUT that there were two posters in this thread that indicated as much(one even came out and said) and I suspected that there anger toward Vick 7 years later, stems from their feelings about animals versus human life. That might not be the case for you. You might just really find him a despicable person.

You might not be able to physically prevent him from moving on, but your thoughts about him, your words on this thread, and the fact that you think he shouldn't be able to speak at this event illustrates the fact that you don't really *feel* that he should be able to move on. If you really felt that he should be able to move on, then you wouldn't give two hoots about his decision to speak at this event. The fact that you are against it, (despite the fact that he is reformed, paid his dues, and is trying to make positives changes in his life) indicates to me at least, that you believe that this mistake he made 7 years ago should be held against him--preventing him from doing things(that prior to these charges he was doing anyway). Now maybe I'm wrong, but that's my take.

I don't try to understand why he did what he did. He did it, he made amends, paid the price, and now he's trying to live his life. There really isn't any reason for me to try to analyze what type of man he is, or whether he is this evil sociopath for doing what he did. That isn't my call to make, and personally I can't imagine trying to assign someone with a mental disorder when I don't even know that person outside of that situation(one aspect of his life) that occurred 7 years ago. What's more, who made you the authority on who should be a role-model? You certainly have the right to project your ideals on to your children and feel that he can't be a role-model for THEM, but that's about it... Again, he might very well be a role-model to millions of other people who have seen past these actions and can relate to him in other ways. His story also illustrates how one can still recover from terrible decisions and bounce back.

I understand these are your feelings and thoughts on him. That's fine. Really we all have different feelings and thoughts on him since the dog-fighting. I just can't hold bad decisions against someone who is trying to move on with their life. To each their own, I suppose.
Pot meet kettle.
You are doing the same thing to the posters that oppose Michael Vick that you claim they are doing. If you want to defend him then do so but leave your assumptions and judgments about why people oppose him out of the equation.

Old 02-11-2014, 01:00 PM

4,587 posts, read 4,219,635 times
Quote:

Divine intervention.
Yep. Just read the article. The weather basically bailed the chamber out. Oh well. At least the felon's not coming to Raleigh.

Guess this thread has run its course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events