Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 02:55 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,915,922 times

Advertisements

If she is in an abusive situation then get out. But to sue for a car, schooling, a stipend and then private college. Nope. Sorry, life isn't fair. Work through it and be a beacon to those who follow...or something like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 03:57 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,383,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I don't think the lawsuit ever should have been allowed to enter a courtroom - it was pure insanity. HOWEVER, I think the people villifying this girl or calling her a disrespectful brat are just as nuts as the people who shoved her to sue. Her problems started after her parents did their separation/getting-back-together bout - as the oldest child she was likely bearing the brunt of that. I was an adult by the time my parents divorced, but they basically acted like a couple of unhinged sociopaths while they were breaking up. For an academically focused child, that is going to be a huge disruption. I can't judge her for her actions - she probably felt like her whole world was falling apart.
There is a lot unknown. I do agree that people should not rush so quickly to judge. Its easy to sit back and hurl insults over the interwebs. However, its hard to say if her parents breakup was a result of her behaviour, it happens a lot - wild kid, parents argue over how to deal/discipline, etc. Or if her bad behaviour was a result of unstable home.

Quote:
Now I'm seeing statements that both a psychologist and her school confirmed that the parents were abusive. Schools do NOT make those assertions lightly - especially not private schools that are basically catering to a customer, which is usually the parent. By making that statement, the school is potentially driving away paying customers - yet they still felt strongly enough to do so. I don't think she should have sued because she felt she was owed a college education. However, if she can prove definitive abuse, I'm fine with there being a lawsuit. I wish more abused kids WOULD sue their parents, because society generally ends up paying for those mistakes. But most of the former abused kids that I know are still trying to get their abusive parents to love them, even as adults.
I read something similar, and the family was investigated and no problems were found. Also the school saying the father was "difficult" does not = abusive father. Ask any teacher/administrator and I am sure there are 1,000s of "difficult" parents. That does not mean they are abusive.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:00 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,915,922 times
http://news.yahoo.com/jersey-teen-dr...161227727.html

Saw another article where some of the abuse was allegedly her mom saying she was fat.

Anyway, probably a good decision to drop the suit. She should just finish the school year out and look for potential roommates.

Old 03-27-2014, 04:32 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,829,412 times
I would send a registered letter with a return receipt and tell her what time her stuff would be sitting out on the front lawn to come get. And I would change all the locks on the property that gained entry to it...

Old 03-27-2014, 08:37 PM

10,717 posts, read 5,658,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
I would send a registered letter with a return receipt and tell her what time her stuff would be sitting out on the front lawn to come get. And I would change all the locks on the property that gained entry to it...
While I agree with the sentiment, you can't just do that. If she doesn't want to leave, you have to go through the eviction process just as if she were a tenant.

Old 03-28-2014, 01:19 AM

111 posts, read 125,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
While I agree with the sentiment, you can't just do that. If she doesn't want to leave, you have to go through the eviction process just as if she were a tenant.
Is that correct? If she is not paying rent then to my mind she isn't a tenant and wouldn't be covered under rental agreements. Not the way it is in my country anyway.

Old 03-28-2014, 03:06 AM

10,717 posts, read 5,658,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcard342 View Post
Is that correct? If she is not paying rent then to my mind she isn't a tenant and wouldn't be covered under rental agreements. Not the way it is in my country anyway.
I am not a lawyer, but that is my understanding. Paying rent or not doesn't matter. You can't simply kick someone out of where they are living without going through the eviction process.

Old 03-28-2014, 07:35 AM

18,466 posts, read 31,624,300 times
After she humiliated her parents through national exposure, I would totally dis-own her and throw her ass right out of my house. (she is over 18, right)

This is MY house, you have to abide by MY rules. I don't care what the law is. The law isn't paying MY mortgage, I am....rught after the court scene, I would have a locksmith change all the locks and all her stuff would be in boxes on the front lawn. TOUGH !

I would chew her up and spit her out, all in a matter of seconds, that I would almost feel sorry for her.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:12 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,292,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
I am not a lawyer, but that is my understanding. Paying rent or not doesn't matter. You can't simply kick someone out of where they are living without going through the eviction process.
Someone who is not paying rent is typically known under the law as a "tenant at sufferance". Even though there is no lease or rent agreement, they can be kicked out and evicted just like a tenant who won't pay the rent he agreed too.

I'm kind of surprised at different conceptions non-lawyers develop about the law. An agreement isn't everything. Of course, you have the right to evict or remove a tenant who has no legal right to be there. In most states, this process would begin by serving a "Notice to Quit" on the tenant. If they fail to remove themselves and their belongings from the premises in a fixed period of time, you can arrange for the authorities to come and forcibly remove them if necessary. You also have the right to put their belongings outside the premises.

***I am not speaking to the ethics or family issues involved in forcing a young adult to leave home. That's something everyone must work out for themselves.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:00 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,099,640 times
Wasn't she supposed to go back to court today?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events