Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2014, 07:26 PM

155 posts, read 211,578 times

Advertisements

As expected, diplomat's immunity stands in court. Was the US Attorney over zealous?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 07:54 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimusPilus View Post
As expected, diplomat's immunity stands in court. Was the US Attorney over zealous?
Not at all, quite the opposite. Both you and the article you linked to miss some very very important details.

1. at the time of the crime and her arrest she did NOT have diplomatic immunity.
2. the charges were dismissed because when she windicted she DID. In some fascinating diplomatic shenanigans. The day before her indictment she was named as a counselor to India's mission to the United Nations.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:01 PM

155 posts, read 211,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Not at all, quite the opposite. Both you and the article you linked to miss some very very important details.

1. at the time of the crime and her arrest she did NOT have diplomatic immunity.
2. the charges were dismissed because when she windicted she DID. In some fascinating diplomatic shenanigans. The day before her indictment she was named as a counselor to India's mission to the United Nations.
I'm afraid you're wrong. Diplomatic immunity is not retroactive. I'm sure the US court judge would have taken that into consideration. So in your opinion everyone is wrong?

Old 03-13-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimusPilus View Post
I'm afraid you're wrong. Diplomatic immunity is not retroactive. I'm sure the US court judge would have taken that into consideration. So in your opinion everyone is wrong?

Maybe...just MAYBE....you should google it a bit before replying.

She had diplomatic immunity for a day-the single day on which she was indicted.

In fact, the link in the article, if you follow it, it goes into detail.
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/us-ju...-diplomat-case
which was linked in your original link
"
Wednesday's ruling centered on the complexities of different levels of legal protection afforded to diplomats. When Khobragade was arrested, U.S. officials said her status as a consular officer provided immunity limited to acts performed in the exercise of official functions. She disagreed, and then, on the day before her Jan. 9 indictment, she got a new appointment that conferred wider immunity.
Regardless of Khobragade's status when she was arrested, her later appointment gave her immunity when indicted and means the case must be dismissed, U.S. District Judge Shira Scheindlin wrote. And while Khobragade's immunity ended when she left the country, the indictment still could not stand, the judge wrote.
The judge said that mooted the question of whether the crimes Khobragade was accused of committing would have been considered "official acts" covered by the earlier, more limited immunity. If not, the judge wrote, "then there is currently no bar to a new indictment against Khobragade."
Since Khobragade does not have immunity now and courts have yet to settle what protection she had when arrested, that leaves a potential path for a new indictment, though any new case might be complicated by Khobragade's absence from the U.S."

Old 03-14-2014, 10:28 PM

and....re-indicted.

US re-indicts Indian diplomat on visa fraud | RealClear

Old 03-16-2014, 10:09 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,633,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Thx, I thought I had read this. Oh my.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events