Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 09:57 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,788,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Thanks for reposting it. I was reading to the end of this thread to see if anyone else had before I linked it again.
From that link about people:

Quote:
Two decades ago, this was relatively rare. But in the early 1990s, car-safety experts declared that passenger-side front airbags could kill children, and they recommended that child seats be moved to the back of the car; then, for even more safety for the very young, that the baby seats be pivoted to face the rear. If few foresaw the tragic consequence of the lessened visibility of the child . . . well, who can blame them? What kind of person forgets a baby?

The wealthy do, it turns out. And the poor, and the middle class. Parents of all ages and ethnicities do it. Mothers are just as likely to do it as fathers. It happens to the chronically absent-minded and to the fanatically organized, to the college-educated and to the marginally literate. In the last 10 years, it has happened to a dentist. A postal clerk. A social worker. A police officer. An accountant. A soldier. A paralegal. An electrician. A Protestant clergyman. A rabbinical student. A nurse. A construction worker. An assistant principal. It happened to a mental health counselor, a college professor and a pizza chef. It happened to a pediatrician. It happened to a rocket scientist.
And about memory:

Quote:
David Diamond is picking at his breakfast at a Washington hotel, trying to explain.
“Memory is a machine,” he says, “and it is not flawless. Our conscious mind prioritizes things by importance, but on a cellular level, our memory does not. If you’re capable of forgetting your cellphone, you are potentially capable of forgetting your child.”

Diamond is a professor of molecular physiology at the University of South Florida and a consultant to the veterans hospital in Tampa. He’s here for a national science conference to give a speech about his research, which involves the intersection of emotion, stress and memory. What he’s found is that under some circumstances, the most sophisticated part of our thought-processing center can be held hostage to a competing memory system, a primitive portion of the brain that is -- by a design as old as the dinosaur’s -- inattentive, pigheaded, nonanalytical, stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 11:30 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,699,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Maybe she worked at Hobby Lobby and couldn't afford birth control because they took that benefit away?
(kidding)
You are awesome. hahaha.

oops. My bad, I forgot the thing I worked my ass off for for 9 months and pushed a bowling ball out. Yeah.. no big deal. Come on, how do these people forget their child. I have become extremely paranoid because of these stories. Every time I park my car and see a child seat, I make sure it's empty.

Old 07-06-2014, 01:46 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
You are awesome. hahaha.

oops. My bad, I forgot the thing I worked my ass off for for 9 months and pushed a bowling ball out. Yeah.. no big deal. Come on, how do these people forget their child. I have become extremely paranoid because of these stories. Every time I park my car and see a child seat, I make sure it's empty.
Question - are you a parent?

Old 07-06-2014, 09:06 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I thought "stifling" meant stuffy, not much air moving...
I would say "deadly hot car"

Old 07-09-2014, 07:20 AM

648 posts, read 1,174,729 times
It seems like these people are just taking themselves out of the gene pool..

Old 07-09-2014, 12:10 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
It wasnt intentional.
Oh you don't know that. Who says that this isn't a thing now, where parents who don't want to be parents "forget their kid" in the backseat so as not to be charged with murder? We had what seemed like an epidemic of co-sleeping deaths of infants. You know, where the mom sleeps with the baby because they can't afford a crib, they roll over & crush the baby or "accidentally" smother it? Call me pessimistic but I wonder how many of those were really accidents? Mom doesn't want to be a mom, finds an easy way to kill the kid without being charged with murder & voila.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:42 PM

360 posts, read 665,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
The best thing to do is to put something in the back seat that you will need, like a pocket book so thar when you go in the back seat to get it, you remember to take your child too.

Sadly this happens a lot. And it's not always crackhead, drug users, sometimes it is hard-working, normal, middle class folks.
So your child isn't something that you NEED to take care of? I hate these stories. I have two children and every time I see one of these stories I believe the parent should go to jail. No doubt about it. I had my first child at a young age and NEVER did this in the hot Houston heat and STILL don't see how it happens EVER. The excuses they give are always BS and the parents should serve time to jog their memories.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:09 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by key2thecity View Post
So your child isn't something that you NEED to take care of? I hate these stories. I have two children and every time I see one of these stories I believe the parent should go to jail. No doubt about it. I had my first child at a young age and NEVER did this in the hot Houston heat and STILL don't see how it happens EVER. The excuses they give are always BS and the parents should serve time to jog their memories.
I totally agree with you but I have met a lot of people over my years and have come to the conclusion that there are just some different type folks out there. However you want to describe them whether it be crazy, eccentric, out there, stupid, dumb, wired up different, eclectic, odd, a little off, peculiar, weird whatever - some folks just need whatever help they can get.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:42 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
What the hell has happened to people ??? Moms and Dads killing kids, others "forgetting" them in a hot car, etc, etc. I am not necessarily a believer that the end is near, but it does make you wonder sometimes. There was a time when nothing was more important than our children, NOTHING ! But either people are getting dumber or they just don't care any more.

Don

Old 07-09-2014, 04:59 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
What the hell has happened to people ??? Moms and Dads killing kids, others "forgetting" them in a hot car, etc, etc. I am not necessarily a believer that the end is near, but it does make you wonder sometimes. There was a time when nothing was more important than our children, NOTHING ! But either people are getting dumber or they just don't care any more.

Don
Well...

After the festival was over, while his parents were returning home, the boy Jesus stayed behind in Jerusalem, but they were unaware of it.

Thinking he was in their company, they traveled on for a day. Then they began looking for him among their relatives and friends. When they did not find him, they went back to Jerusalem to look for him.

After three days they found him in the temple courts, sitting among the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions.
-- Luke 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events