Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 01:23 PM

792 posts, read 635,004 times

Advertisements

You know what, while we're here, let's not educate kids about alcohol. Or drugs. Or gang violence. They'll figure it out for themselves too, right?

Abstinence-only preachers are living in a fantasy world. Yes, it would be nice if teenagers didn't have sex before they're mature enough. But it won't happen. So stop denying it and teach 15-year olds how not to get pregnant. They'll screw each other no matter what you say about hell or God or love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I like the idea of teaching sex education at the appropriate ages and stressing abstinence. I also think condoms should be available at high schools via the nurse, councilor and a few trained teachers.
I'm curious, what do you mean by stressing abstinence?

Old 07-14-2014, 01:48 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRhockeyfan View Post
I'm curious, what do you mean by stressing abstinence?
I'm thinking something along the lines of, hey, you really, really shouldn't have sex.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:52 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,619,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
I'm thinking something along the lines of, hey, you really, really shouldn't have sex.

Nice in theory. Not realistic.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:56 PM

632 posts, read 853,732 times
Having raised two kids to adulthood, I have to tell you....no matter how good your intentions nor how firm your convictions, you can NOT control what your teenage children decide to do when they are out of your sight.

Blaming this dad because his daughter did not follow his advice and managed to get herself knocked-up
is quite unfair IMHO.

There have been daughters of Bible-belt Ministers and even Catholic nuns who have found
themselves in this same predicament. It's the human condition.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
Nice in theory. Not realistic.
I wouldn't say unrealistic. If it's just like, "hey, you guys are still young, (most of) you are not mature emotionally enough to have sex yet" while still stressing the consequences of unprotected sex and making birth control available, I'd say that's a good sex ed program.

But what you get with abstinence only programs, it's "you will burn in hell if you have sex". There was an article I read recently, I'm sorry I don't have a link, but there's a lady in Georgia claiming that masturbation will physically hurt you, badly. And that you should think about WWJD before having sex. What is this, the Middle Ages?

Old 07-14-2014, 01:57 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,296,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
This is not funny.

This is sad......that girl's life will never be the same.....even if she gives the baby up.

How can adults find humor here???
The humor is in the hypocrisy! Like the guy in Florida that voted for drug tests for welfare recipient's, and later was found to be hooked on cocaine.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Burgher View Post
Having raised two kids to adulthood, I have to tell you....no matter how good your intentions nor how firm your convictions, you can NOT control what your teenage children decide to do when they are out of your sight.

Blaming this dad because his daughter did not follow his advice and managed to get herself knocked-up
is quite unfair IMHO.

There have been daughters of Bible-belt Ministers and even Catholic nuns who have found
themselves in this same predicament. It's the human condition.
Well if his own daughter wouldn't follow the advice, what makes people think a room of 30 bored, uninterested teens would follow?

Old 07-14-2014, 02:05 PM

624 posts, read 763,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I used to be an HIV/AIDS educator in a past life. I went into public high schools with a very sanitized education program. While I was quite restricted in what I could and couldn't talk about, there was no restriction on the questions and comments that I got from the students. I quickly learned that much of the knowledge that these teenagers have learned from one another is horribly, horribly flawed.

The one tidbit that will always stick out in my memory is the junior who told me that she would never get AIDS or any other diseases because she only performed oral, and she sometimes gargled with bleach.

We CANNOT trust kids to "figure it out" on their own!
Are you saying this girl stood up in front of her entire class and freely admitted she gave blowjobs ???

How times have changed, she would have been branded with a scarlet S when I was in school.

(Class of 76)

Last edited by Ten Cat; 07-14-2014 at 02:17 PM..

Old 07-14-2014, 02:06 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
reminds me of the simplistic "Just Say No"- that didn't work either.

My girls are only 12 and we have casual conversations about all sorts of sex ed things. Never a one time sit down talk but rather an open door communication policy and most of the time I start the conversation with something like "Do any of your friends talk about.....?" or "What have you heard about ......?"
I would never tell my girls "Don't do it" and expect that to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events