Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 06:18 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,864,430 times

Advertisements

Did you see this list?

http://www.buzzfeed.com/juliegerstei...for-our-safety

It is really sad we have to limit our choice because unfortunately we will be blamed for "risky behavior" if something happens.

Some examples:
Quote:
1. Get drunk, because you never know if someone might try to assault you when you’re under the influence.
7. Run alone at night, because we fear attackers.
13. Wear anything that will expose our breasts or remind men that we’re women, because that’s seen as an invitation for leers.
16. Engage in small talk with a man, because he may interpret it as an invitation to come on to us in a lecherous way.
21. Stay at a party or a show after our friends have gone home, because we don’t want to worry about being stranded in a potentially threatening situation.
23. Walk around late at night with headphones on and blasting music, because we’re afraid attackers might come up behind us.
26. Walk directly home, sometimes, if we’re afraid someone is following us. Instead, we’ll stop at a neighborhood bar and pretend we’re meeting someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 06:38 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,605,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
It is really sad we have to limit our choice because unfortunately we will be blamed for "risky behavior" if something happens.
A lot of this is how I have always lived.

Not mentioned are things like always driving with one's car doors locked or making sure one's house key is not on the ring when turning over a key to the car mechanic.

Also not mentioned is spending some time at the range and getting a CCW so that you are safe getting home, as well as safe in your home, if some tweaker breaks in.

I do talk with and smile at men who are strangers, in appropriate situations. Walking to my car at 10 pm is not one of them.

I don't see most of these behaviors as limiting as much as staying safe.

And men can be victims of crime, too. I'd had to talk to several about not jogging or using an ATM in certain places after sunset.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:41 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,439,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Did you see this list?

http://www.buzzfeed.com/juliegerstei...for-our-safety

Some examples:
It is definitely a sad state of affairs, but it's the truth and not likely to change. Men have theirs stuck right in front for the world to see, although it's covered. They don't have to be concerned about women attacking them because we don't want to. Ok, some do, but not most. Some men think it's their right to see what women have, even if women don't agree.

Back when I used to be out and around, I noticed men could enter a club and stand at the bar, gazing out at the tables as long as they wanted to. How long could a woman do that? She may not WANT to, but that's not the question. She can't. Men can lurk anywhere. Women can't. Do it anyway, no law against it. HA! Do such a think at peril. Why would any woman be willing to put up with the flak? I wouldn't. The thing is, a woman shouldn't have to, but it isn't going to change. That's just the way it is.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:57 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,605,780 times
Oh, and if one wants to get drunk, there are much safer places than a bar!

I never really saw the appeal of bars, anyway. Lots of potential for problems . . .

Old 07-07-2014, 06:58 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,270,011 times
It's amazing what people can turn partisan. And that was some lightning speed!

Old 07-07-2014, 07:03 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,176,046 times
Good list- accurate & valid.
But I don't see it as coming from a place of fear- it's just common sense.
Don't make yourself a target.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:55 PM

624 posts, read 762,906 times
16. Engage in small talk with a man, because he may interpret it as an invitation to come on to us in a lecherous way.

omg--this one. Drives me absolutely bonkers. Or, I should say, it did. I don't go out anymore.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:13 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,864,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten Cat View Post

omg--this one. Drives me absolutely bonkers. Or, I should say, it did. I don't go out anymore.
I am naturally inclined to be chatty and bubbly as well. It can be bad news in some situations.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:16 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Eating in public can invite unwanted attention?? How so?

A friend recently recounted how a male co-worker suggested she try going out for a run after work. The Manhattan Bridge late at night, he said, was practically empty. It’s a great view. And besides, it’s cooler after the sun goes down — the perfect time to get in a run before bed. She should give it a try.
Who runs before going to bed? That's a recipe for insomnia, getting the body all hyped up like that.

They did forget to mention that women have to spend more money on rent by choosing "safe" neighborhoods. Most women can't allow themselves the wide options for a place to live that men have.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:21 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten Cat View Post

It's pretty much only a problem for women with boobs above a certain size. Or women who look like models. More average women have more freedom in some respects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events