Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 09:41 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,496,311 times

Advertisements

Had to shorten the title, sorry. Anyway...

NC woman convicted of: "second-degree murder, human trafficking, first-degree kidnapping, first-degree sex offense, felony child abuse with prostitution, child abuse involving a sex act, sexual servitude, indecent liberties with a child and conspiracy to commit sex offense of a child."

She got a 17-21 year sentence.
Mother pleads guilty in Shaniya Davis' death :: WRAL.com

Meanwhile, a guy in Missouri named Jeff Mizanskey is sentenced to life w/o parole for his 3rd marijuana poss/dist charge. Life. For a plant. That people in CO WA and CA buy in stores legally. Life.
STATE v. MIZANSKEY | Leagle.com

How long are WE THE PEOPLE of the United States going to put up with such injustices? How can we allow this to happen? We need to bring change. This is....absurd, of course. How do we fix this? I haven't even mentioned Ethan Couch............................................. ..........................yeah the 17 year old kid who killed 4 people in a drunk driving accident who got off with probation, no jail no prison.....b/c he was too rich. Look it up if you don;t know.

Welcome to the United States.

Last edited by LordHelmit; 07-26-2014 at 10:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 09:56 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,977,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post

NC woman convicted of: "second-degree murder, human trafficking, first-degree kidnapping, first-degree sex offense, felony child abuse with prostitution, child abuse involving a sex act, sexual servitude, indecent liberties with a child and conspiracy to commit sex offense of a child."

Meanwhile, a guy in Missouri named Jeff Mizanskey is sentenced to life w/o parole for his 3rd marijuana poss/dist charge. Life. For a plant. That people in CO WA and CA buy in stores legally. Life.

How long are WE THE PEOPLE of the United States going to put up with such injustices? How can we allow this to happen? We need to bring change. This is....absurd, of course. How do we fix this? I haven't even mentioned Ethan Couch............................................. ..........................yeah the 17 year old kid who killed 4 people in a drunk driving accident who got off with probation, no jail no prison.....b/c he was too rich. Look it up if you don;t know.

Well, like it or not, in most states possession of marijuana IS illegal, as is distributing it. To get caught with it multiple times is just stupid. I have no sympathy.

I agree the system can be unjust and unfair at times, but until laws are changed, they have to be followed. People may think that weed is harmless and should be totally legal, but it's not yet. Oh well. Don't get caught with it and you should be fine. You're caught with it THREE TIMES? It's your own fault. Is life a little excessive? Sure, but again - you know it's illegal. You were caught twice then a third and apparently final time. Come on.

Ethan Couch case is definitely an abomination. And outcomes to cases like Casey Anthony's are also so depressing.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Well, like it or not, in most states possession of marijuana IS illegal, as is distributing it. To get caught with it multiple times is just stupid. I have no sympathy.

I agree the system can be unjust and unfair at times, but until laws are changed, they have to be followed. People may think that weed is harmless and should be totally legal, but it's not yet. Oh well. Don't get caught with it and you should be fine. You're caught with it THREE TIMES? It's your own fault. Is life a little excessive? Sure, but again - you know it's illegal. You were caught twice then a third and apparently final time. Come on.

Ethan Couch case is definitely an abomination. And outcomes to cases like Casey Anthony's are also so depressing.
Are you telling me a marijuana dealer deserves life in prison whereas a mother who sold her child for sex to settle a crack debt doesn't deserve more than 21 years? What is wrong with you? OH WELL? REALLY? THAT is the attitude that NEEDS to change NOW. The fact that someone can say "oh well" to someone being locked up for life for any MJ offense when murderers/rapists/child sex traffickers are getting away with less...is a huge problem. Yeah, MJ is illegal federally. That means we should just take it in the ass like this? I have news for ya - prostituting a child for a crack cocaine debt resulting int he death of the child is also illegal.

Being caught with MJ multiple times does not make you some kind of hardened criminal - I also have several arrests due to the illegality of MJ. 1 poss charge and 2 poss of paraphernalia charges....I am a very good person. Raising 4 kids none of which are my own, asssted in search and rescue operations following tornado devastation )more than 3 times) and attended community wide searches for missing persons. I simply choose to smoke weed rather than get drunk or buy crack cocaine and sell children for sex.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Are you telling me a marijuana dealer deserves life in prison whereas a mother who sold her child for sex to settle a crack debt doesn't deserve more than 21 years? What is wrong with you? OH WELL? REALLY? THAT is the attitude that NEEDS to change NOW. The fact that someone can say "oh well" to someone being locked up for life for any MJ offense when murderers/rapists/child sex traffickers are getting away with less...is a huge problem. Yeah, MJ is illegal federally. That means we should just take it in the ass like this? I have news for ya - prostituting a child for a crack cocaine debt resulting int he death of the child is also illegal.

Being caught with MJ multiple times does not make you some kind of hardened criminal - I also have several arrests due to the illegality of MJ. 1 poss charge and 2 poss of paraphernalia charges....I am a very good person. Raising 4 kids none of which are my own, asssted in search and rescue operations following tornado devastation )more than 3 times) and attended community wide searches for missing persons. I simply choose to smoke weed rather than get drunk or buy crack cocaine and sell children for sex.
You're missing my point. I acknowledged the law and system of justice can sometimes be very wrong. We've seen it time and time again. These are examples of that. Sometimes, there are various circumstances taken into consideration when sentencing someone and it doesn't always turn out "right."

But as far as drugs go, they are illegal. Everyone knows that. To be caught 3 times with possession and distribution of marijuana… sorry, you deserve punishment. Life is extreme, but while the law exists like it does, it needs to be followed. I have a strict personal policy on drugs - we all know they're illegal, so if you're going to use, don't be an idiot. If you are and you're caught, I can't feel bad for you.

Some people are arrested multiple times for drugs and don't get sentenced to life, most commonly. Some people are murderers/rapists/traffickers and DO get sentenced to life, or even sentenced to death, most commonly. Choosing these two particular cases and comparing them isn't exactly fair in that sense. These are clearly extreme and unusual examples, given how often people are arrested, charged, and sentenced for these crimes.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:13 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,730,420 times
Quote:

Your article said:

"Mario Andrette McNeill, 32, was convicted in May of kidnapping and assaulting Shaniya before killing her, and he was sentenced to death.
Read more at http://www.wral.com/mother-pleads-guilty-in-shaniya-davis-death/13011614/#YzGQ2lzoLuqCqwAi.99"

Old 07-26-2014, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
You're missing my point. I acknowledged the law and system of justice can sometimes be very wrong. We've seen it time and time again. These are examples of that. Sometimes, there are various circumstances taken into consideration when sentencing someone and it doesn't always turn out "right."

But as far as drugs go, they are illegal. Everyone knows that. To be caught 3 times with possession and distribution of marijuana… sorry, you deserve punishment. Life is extreme, but while the law exists like it does, it needs to be followed. I have a strict personal policy on drugs - we all know they're illegal, so if you're going to use, don't be an idiot. If you are and you're caught, I can't feel bad for you.

Some people are arrested multiple times for drugs and don't get sentenced to life, most commonly. Some people are murderers/rapists/traffickers and DO get sentenced to life, or even sentenced to death, most commonly. Choosing these two particular cases and comparing them isn't exactly fair in that sense. These are clearly extreme and unusual examples, given how often people are arrested, charged, and sentenced for these crimes.
I think you're missing my point as well. Yes, drugs are illegal. Does that make it right? Does that mean we should just accept it and take it up the ass? No. Who was it that said an unjust law is no law at all? Thomas Jefferson. MLK said something similar. "Lex iniusta non est lex." Morally speaking, murder/rape is completely more heinous than selling weed. He was caught with it 3 times due to the outdated, prohibitionist style laws in place...not because he is a bad person. I completely disagree that someone caught 3 times with poss/dist deserves punishment.

As for your last paragraph, well yeah. Most people arrested for durgs don't get sentenced to life - but it does happen and he isn't the only one. It is a victimless "crime." Some murderers etc do get life in prison/death sentence, but too many of them don't. That is the problem I have right now. That someone convicted of a victimless "crime" can get sentenced to life according to someone else's moral code whereas another person convicted of compeltely heinous crimes involving a child can get sentenced to less than 20 years. It does happen too often, and something needs to be done about it. Accepting it as "Oh, it's just how it is." is not the right answer.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Your article said:

"Mario Andrette McNeill, 32, was convicted in May of kidnapping and assaulting Shaniya before killing her, and he was sentenced to death.
Read more at http://www.wral.com/mother-pleads-guilty-in-shaniya-davis-death/13011614/#YzGQ2lzoLuqCqwAi.99"
I'm not talking about Mario McNeill, I'm talking about Antoinette Davis. Read the OP before commenting next time, hey? You would think that someone with 7,200 posts would know how to work a forum...I guess quantity > quality is more important to some people on C-D after all.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:25 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,730,420 times
Quote:
I'm not talking about Mario McNeill, I'm talking about Antoinette Davis. Read the OP before commenting next time, hey? You would think that someone with 7,200 posts would know how to work a forum...I guess quantity > quality is more important to some people on C-D after all.
No, but you mentioned this:

Quote:
How long are WE THE PEOPLE of the United States going to put up with such injustices? How can we allow this to happen? We need to bring change. This is....absurd, of course. How do we fix this?
So I posted the fact that the murderer has been sentenced to death.

How to stop those things from happening? I have an idea. Stop the sprawl, have towns and cities be dense, so everyone lives close together and everyone can keep an eye on everyone. In the past, that worked to keep crime down - everyone know who everyone was and people didn't get away with as much as now that everyone lives away from everyone, in a state of sprawl.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:32 PM

Quote:
I think you're missing my point as well. Yes, drugs are illegal. Does that make it right? Does that mean we should just accept it and take it up the ass? No. Who was it that said an unjust law is no law at all? Thomas Jefferson. MLK said something similar. "Lex iniusta non est lex." Morally speaking, murder/rape is completely more heinous than selling weed. He was caught with it 3 times due to the outdated, prohibitionist style laws in place...not because he is a bad person. I completely disagree that someone caught 3 times with poss/dist deserves punishment.

As for your last paragraph, well yeah. Most people arrested for durgs don't get sentenced to life - but it does happen and he isn't the only one. It is a victimless "crime." Some murderers etc do get life in prison/death sentence, but too many of them don't. That is the problem I have right now. That someone convicted of a victimless "crime" can get sentenced to life according to someone else's moral code whereas another person convicted of compeltely heinous crimes involving a child can get sentenced to less than 20 years. It does happen too often, and something needs to be done about it. Accepting it as "Oh, it's just how it is." is not the right answer.
I do understand your point, I just don't really agree (entirely). Another of my points was that some laws are evolving, and currently that is what is going on in this country with marijuana right now. It's not set in stone that it will be illegal forever. But for now it is, so comply. Not that hard. While it may not seem "right" now, it may change in 5, 10 years to what's more "right" in the future. This is what happens with social issues and the law. Give it time. Look at gay marriage, and homosexuality and the law in general. It takes time to change that kind of stuff but it will happen.

There are always going to be extreme cases, no matter what crime, where people are either over or under sentenced. The system is not perfect, sometimes it comes down to the judges, precedence, whatever. And we cannot make the system perfect, because nothing can be perfect. It often depends on individual states. Texas, for example, seems to be very hard on criminals - they do sentence the most people to death in the country (and world) per year. On the other hand, many states don't even have the death penalty so a murderer in TX can be killed for committing the exact same crime as a murderer in NY, which no longer has the death penalty, and that criminal will get life. Pretty big difference there, literally life or death. You may not like the "this is just how it is" answer, but it IS just how it is. States in the US have a lot of individual power when it comes to creating and enforcing their own laws. This is why punishments can seem uneven at a countrywide level. They're usually pretty consistent per state, though. Changing this so states have less power and things are more even nationwide severely changes the country as a whole, and our morals on governing, since our system was intentionally created to give states more power than the federal government.

Last edited by JerseyGirl415; 07-26-2014 at 11:44 PM..

Old 07-26-2014, 11:43 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,752,909 times
Paradoxically, Missouri is still the wild west when it comes to alcohol & gun laws.

Not a good place for the ATF, but a consistent field day for the DEA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events