Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2014, 02:33 PM

607 posts, read 761,107 times

Advertisements

Zoo Elephants don't breed in captivity well, essentially not at all, like Pandas.....

That being said, together with new Zoo regulations for large habitats, and the aging of the elephants left, few Zoos will have elephants in about 25 years or so....

So many are being killed for tusks in Africa as well.....only 1/3rd of African Elephants now compared to 40 years ago.....that, and the aging of elephants, along with the fact that they refuse to breed in captivity, means Zoos will be sans pachyderms not long from now...

Thank God, as Circuses for D@mn sure will not have access to them anymore(abuse)....

Good and bad news..mostly bad for elephants....we are surely looking at some of the last ones around, before they are functionally extinct....I presume a handful will survive in protected habitats, but the classic days of yore per Zoo and Circus Elephants has definitely just about passed....

Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 02:35 PM

In U.S. Zoos, Elephants Get Harder to Find - WSJ

Old 07-31-2014, 03:17 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottkuzminski View Post
Especially if this is always a possibility. Lilly was saved due to public outcry but what happens to the next baby elephant born under contract with an organization like this one? The title is misleading because the Oregon Zoo was putting Lilly in danger of being surrendered to a circus or some type of exhibition in the first place.

Elephant Calf Lily Rescued by Oregon Zoo - The Daily Beast

Old 07-31-2014, 04:44 PM

MInervah...

A sad thought I just had reading your post...don't Circuses seem like "Freakshows" for Elephants?

Look at the old 1800's pic of Jumbo, and the kids and people treating it like a Kong-like freak.....

..and sorry, I don't think there is such thing as a humane place for a ele at a zoo..at all..unless they gave about 1/3 of the area over to them, and maybe not even then...ludicrous that these creatures are even IN zoos, not to mention getting killed enmasse by hunters in af for Chinese medicine quacks and illegal collectors...

We have really screwed over the elephants.....I say let the ones there already(zoos) age in place, do not breed new ones, or breed new ones and give them huge habitats in open ranges at the least.....and make killing elephants a life sentence for african hunters....these our our brothers and sisters here we are killing and mocking in Circuses and such..

They think like us..they feel....deeply....they mourn their dead.....easily near the top per intelligent mammals...lets give the ones left respect and room to breathe/live.....

Again, make circus eles illegal, and phase out the remaining zoo eles........

Old 07-31-2014, 10:45 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,115,850 times
I've despised circuses since I was a little kid.

I went for a ride on an elephant's back as a child, and I remember saying " This is awful, mommy. The saddle is making him bleed" And it was.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:56 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Seeing an elephant in captivity is just depresseing.
As for wild elephants - on the other hand, they have so many elephants in Kruger they have to cull them from time to time.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:09 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,367,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I've despised circuses since I was a little kid.

I went for a ride on an elephant's back as a child, and I remember saying " This is awful, mommy. The saddle is making him bleed" And it was.
I agree, and I feel the same about rodeos.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:42 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,115,850 times
There's a right way to treat these animals if they are to be kept in captivity.

What happens after this woman sings this elephant a lullaby is so beautiful Blue Nation Review

Old 08-01-2014, 12:37 PM

really sweet sentiments by everyone above...and yes, for the ones still in Zoo's, def right ways to treat them...the stories you hear about them "turning" on trainers/keepers are for a reason.....they truly do NOT forget, per the old saw, especially abuse over years..and they do not forget kind treatment as well....

With all the Planet of the Apes movies popular again, perhaps it would be interesting to imagine a world of evolved elephants.....truly, could they do worse than us humans?

They are to be cherished...simple as that.....

Old 08-02-2014, 09:08 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottkuzminski View Post
MInervah...

A sad thought I just had reading your post...don't Circuses seem like "Freakshows" for Elephants?

Look at the old 1800's pic of Jumbo, and the kids and people treating it like a Kong-like freak.....

..and sorry, I don't think there is such thing as a humane place for a ele at a zoo..at all..unless they gave about 1/3 of the area over to them, and maybe not even then...ludicrous that these creatures are even IN zoos, not to mention getting killed enmasse by hunters in af for Chinese medicine quacks and illegal collectors...

We have really screwed over the elephants.....I say let the ones there already(zoos) age in place, do not breed new ones, or breed new ones and give them huge habitats in open ranges at the least.....and make killing elephants a life sentence for african hunters....these our our brothers and sisters here we are killing and mocking in Circuses and such..

They think like us..they feel....deeply....they mourn their dead.....easily near the top per intelligent mammals...lets give the ones left respect and room to breathe/live.....

Again, make circus eles illegal, and phase out the remaining zoo eles........
I agree with every word of this post. Repp'd accordingly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events