Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 12:21 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,487,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
I can't help but ask, what were they doing in North Korea? Why do people want to go sight-seeing in such a hostile (to Americans) foreign country. I recall a few years back some hikers were arrested in Iran (IIRC) and charged with spying, but I think eventually released. Just doesn't make much sense to me why people insist on putting their selves in jeopardy like that.
I agree. Just stupid to go to these countries expecting to be treated like royalty. I have no sympathy for these people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 12:42 PM

788 posts, read 1,252,018 times
Why don't they ask Dennis Rodman for help? After all he and Kim Jong Un are BFF's.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:50 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,194,888 times
I would like to offer them my advice that they not go back if they're ever released.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:00 PM

7,086 posts, read 8,993,630 times
Jeffrey Fowle is from Miamisburg Ohio and a member of a church in Lebanon Ohio, he left the bible in a hotel room, not a night club. If anything he has his own carelessness to blame, going to the DPRK is risky enough without blaspheming the official state god who was born on Mt. Paektu, invented the hamburger and radial tire and has never needed to poop.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:51 PM

3,539 posts, read 2,877,776 times
I say we just leave them there, we have got plenty of morons here already.

bill

Old 08-01-2014, 04:10 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,533,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
I can't help but ask, what were they doing in North Korea? Why do people want to go sight-seeing in such a hostile (to Americans) foreign country. I recall a few years back some hikers were arrested in Iran (IIRC) and charged with spying, but I think eventually released. Just doesn't make much sense to me why people insist on putting their selves in jeopardy like that.
Traveling to N. Korea is particularly unwise. I do not think that you should equate the hikers in Iran and visitors to N. Korea. The N. Korea visitors intended to go to that country and arrived via the usual method (the airport). The hikers unknowingly crossed the border into Iran without permission. There were problems with how the Iranian border patrol and courts handled the hiker case, but I would not cite it as evidence that travel to Iran through the official channels is dangerous.

There's a Rick Steves episode in Iran for crying out loud!

The State Department warning on Iran is boilerplate, whereas the warning on N. Korea is much more specific and alarming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
He asked for asylum and now wants the country he left for help?

Why don't we just ban travel to some of these places?
Because we are free to travel. Some places should be avoided, but there is no reason for us to be barred from going where we want to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Sheesh. You just can't stop some people from lacing up their cleats and stepping on their own dicks.

Why anyone would go to NK, or anywhere else the State Dept. has given fair warning about is beyond me.
State give "fair" warning about a lot of places. In many cases, warnings only apply to certain areas or certain visitors. North Korea is definitely on the most troubled end, though.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:18 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,703,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
He asked for asylum and now wants the country he left for help?

Why don't we just ban travel to some of these places?

If American citizens want to travel to these countries, go for it, that your prerogative but if you end up in jail, don't have you or family crying to the U.S. government for assistance. You made your own bed, now deal with it.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:42 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,444,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
Traveling to N. Korea is particularly unwise. I do not think that you should equate the hikers in Iran and visitors to N. Korea. The N. Korea visitors intended to go to that country and arrived via the usual method (the airport). The hikers unknowingly crossed the border into Iran without permission. There were problems with how the Iranian border patrol and courts handled the hiker case, but I would not cite it as evidence that travel to Iran through the official channels is dangerous.

That may be true, but they put themselves close enough to the border to make that mistake. So they were partly to blame for their situation.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:48 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,201,314 times
It's funny how we are allowed to travel to a country that randomly arrests and imprisons visitors, but we can't travel to Cuba to smoke a fine cigar or get wasted on a perfect beach.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:45 AM

534 posts, read 907,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
It's funny how we are allowed to travel to a country that randomly arrests and imprisons visitors, but we can't travel to Cuba to smoke a fine cigar or get wasted on a perfect beach.
When I first read your post I thought of Texas for some odd reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events