Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 06:00 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,975,933 times

Advertisements

Although his publicist denies it, it looks like Robin Williams' financial troubles contributed to his depression and subsequent suicide.

Top of the list were the cost of 2 divorces and being overly generous with his money. The article alludes to the fact that he couldn't afford what he used to at the peak of his financial success.

He also mentioned in previous interviews that he take to take acting jobs he didn't really want just to pay the bills

It just goes to show you can be broke at any income level and that divorce is a major wealth killer.

Radar Online | Robin Williams Had
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 06:27 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,556,387 times
Of Coarse he was Broke. But i still think it was just a small part of his problems.

Old 08-17-2014, 06:32 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,975,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Of course he was broke. But I still think it was just a small part of his problems.
I see all of the problems as interrelated. People who are manic depressive like Robin Williams are usually not good at managing money and can't maintain long term relationships (divorce is expensive)....So put all that together and it's not surprising he was broke & suicidal.

Old 08-17-2014, 06:45 PM

17,326 posts, read 22,073,418 times
“I’m selling the ranch up in Napa,” he said of his $35 million Villa Sorriso. “I just can’t afford it anymore.”

define broke......

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-...ctures-2014148

Old 08-17-2014, 06:46 PM

248 posts, read 341,135 times
Given all the joy he's brought to people globally over the years, all he had to do was ask for help (or give one fundraiser show and sell the video rights) and he would have brought in 10s of millions....

Besides the fact that the last few pictures of him look awful (he looked lost and very unwell, and seemed to have lost a lot of muscle mass and weight), I have thought ever since I first saw him perform that his 'manicky' sense of humor and thought processes were the result of a brain that was going full speed 24/7. Just like some people are slow, he was wired; he actually said in an interview that doing cocaine made him slow down and I imagine so did the alcohol which explains the addiction to both. This is a guy who had trouble sleeping, his brain wouldn't shut down on him.

It's too bad he didn't consult with someone who was aware of the science of nootropics and neurotransmitters; he could have been helped to at least slow down sometimes and take a break from the frenetic pace he was obviously laboring under.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:32 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
I think it's tabloid nonsense. He grew up wealthy and likely died even wealthier.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:54 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,650,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Although his publicist denies it, it looks like Robin Williams' financial troubles contributed to his depression and subsequent suicide.

Top of the list were the cost of 2 divorces and being overly generous with his money. The article alludes to the fact that he couldn't afford what he used to at the peak of his financial success.

He also mentioned in previous interviews that he take to take acting jobs he didn't really want just to pay the bills

It just goes to show you can be broke at any income level and that divorce is a major wealth killer.

Radar Online | Robin Williams Had
as the old saying goes--love is grand...and divorce is a 100 grand!!

Old 08-18-2014, 05:05 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
he hit the big spot light, with fame and fortunes,,,,,99.9% of us never do-

actors, like proathletes may dream of becoming what they become, and if/when they finally get the success- why not friggin enjoy it??

why buy a 35 million mansion?????

isn't a 5 million mansion good enough and keep 10 million in the bank??

I cant help but like robin Williams - like a lot of his work/movies and humor,,

but come on,,,, depression ?? when you have more than 99.9% of us????

why not enjoy what you have??
I know its a sickness or a disease,,,but damn,,, id like to live in a 35 million dollar house for a day!

Old 08-18-2014, 06:17 AM

1,696 posts, read 1,715,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
he hit the big spot light, with fame and fortunes,,,,,99.9% of us never do-

actors, like proathletes may dream of becoming what they become, and if/when they finally get the success- why not friggin enjoy it??

why buy a 35 million mansion?????

isn't a 5 million mansion good enough and keep 10 million in the bank??

I cant help but like robin Williams - like a lot of his work/movies and humor,,

but come on,,,, depression ?? when you have more than 99.9% of us????

why not enjoy what you have??
I know its a sickness or a disease,,,but damn,,, id like to live in a 35 million dollar house for a day!
Depression is not cured by wealth, love, or a big house. I know. I have more than most people...and I have depression. It's a bio-chemical reaction in the brain and it's a heavy load to carry. Sometimes people get so tired out by it that they kill themselves.

You might as well ask why a big house doesn't cure a broken arm.

As for Mr. William's money issues, he's by no means the only actor who takes jobs just for the check. Michael Caine and most of the cast of the Expendables (!) are all in that boat.

Williams has 4 films in post-production right now. His career was about to rise again. But the darkness of depression was too strong for him to fight any more. Look around you -- there may be friends or family members who are suffering too. Try not to use words that make it sound like Mr. Williams was a weakling or a coward -- he fought an impossible fight for 63 years.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:29 AM

421 posts, read 556,649 times
How can we know what contributed to his death? Even if he was flat broke, maybe it didn't bother him? And it wasn't like he was washed up actor, he was still working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events