Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 09:31 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,279,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I'm just sorry that he believed it was best to end his life. We're living at time when there is much more help available for depression and related problems.
There is a lot of help available, but it's not always successful. Just like chemotherapy isn't always successful in defeating cancer, the various treatments available for depression sometimes don't work. And sometimes they can even make matters worse.

By all accounts, he was getting treatment. It seems it just wasn't enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 10:05 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,795,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
“I’m selling the ranch up in Napa,” he said of his $35 million Villa Sorriso. “I just can’t afford it anymore.”

define broke......

Robin Williams' Napa Valley Villa for Sale at $29.9 Million: Picture - Us Weekly
The ranch in Napa has remained unsold as of the last time I checked a few weeks ago. Never heard of "house poor" ???

What are the property taxes on a 35 mil estate? 700k? Correct, I do not know the purchase price, which would change the basis here in California.

From personal experience I can affirm the debilitating effect on mental health of difficult money problems. I cannot imagine the complications that Big Pharma medications might add.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:43 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,842,291 times
The sad fact and bottom line is that, for some people, each day is not a gift.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:43 AM

1,696 posts, read 1,715,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
The ranch in Napa has remained unsold as of the last time I checked a few weeks ago. Never heard of "house poor" ???

What are the property taxes on a 35 mil estate? 700k? Correct, I do not know the purchase price, which would change the basis here in California.

From personal experience I can affirm the debilitating effect on mental health of difficult money problems. I cannot imagine the complications that Big Pharma medications might add.
Most of us put up with those complications because we don't have a lot of choice.

You can't just 'think' depression away. Some benefit can be derived from exercise...but often you need the medication to get moving long enough to get the exercise. I get a lot of exercise on my Vicious Cycle.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:29 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,770,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I see all of the problems as interrelated. People who are manic depressive like Robin Williams are usually not good at managing money and can't maintain long term relationships (divorce is expensive)....So put all that together and it's not surprising he was broke & suicidal.
He wasn't manic depressive. He looked like he was because he was treating his depression with cocaine. And that stuff is more expensive than ANY divorce.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:05 PM

8,274 posts, read 8,666,554 times
I think it is time we let him rest in peace.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:19 PM

734 posts, read 1,082,905 times
everytime a celebrity dies, they say he or she had financial problems.

he always seemed to be sad to me, even when he was smiling. most people can't understand why someone with fame and money would be depressed but money does not buy happiness.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:22 PM

170 posts, read 134,059 times
This thread is about Williams going broke after earning millions of $$$$. The commentary is somewhat mild on how he squandered it. Yet when athletes who are also celebrities/entertainers go broke, the prevailing comments are harsh and gleeful. I wonder why the double standard?
Anyway, I certainly hope his family can come to terms with his early passing.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:24 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,975,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
There is absolutely no indication that Robin Williams was bi-polar (the correct term for "manic depressive"). He openly discussed the fact that he suffered from DEPRESSION. The two illnesses are totally and completely different, much the same way as Type 2 diabetes is different from Type 1 diabetes. Similar names, different diseases.
+1. I am a bipolar lady who was treated with antidepressants for 15+ years. My last psychiatrist finally diagnosed me with bipolar disorder with a tendency toward depressed moods, rather than manic moods. I believe I was misdiagnosed before, because once I was put on the mood stabilizers to treat bipolar instead of antidepressants to treat depression only, I feel so much better. I can function and feel good. Not only that, I have been on the same effective mood stabilizer for 8 years instead of having to constantly switch from one antidepressant to another.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:32 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,697,619 times
There is nothing wrong with his suicide. He was sick and had already lived most of his life. He had the right to determine the time of his death. It takes a lot of self control and guts to make and follow through on his decision. Look at the alternative. Visit folks in the nursing homes and other centers. Our society does such a good job of hiding our old sickly dying folks. Only a crazy person would want to die in bed in their own excrement too weak to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events