Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2014, 09:30 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,319,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
And how do you pretend to KNOW this for a FACT? You don't, unless you're personal friends with Janay and she's told you so.

And those who are emotionally goofed up, how does that automatically dictate that Janay is that, and how does that limit Janay's right to speak for herself rather than having an "advocate" pretend to know what she's REALLY thinking?

You don't have to be an expert on domestic violence to have a valid opinion, certainly most of the 80 billion people calling for Ray Rice's head have no experience with domestic violence yet it hasn't stopped them from giving their 2 cents worth. I have talked to women who spoke of how their men hit them and yet they chose to stay, fully aware of who they are. It's almost like it's a game to them, to show how they are "woman enough" to handle their man's drama or whatever, and they take pride in their ability to ride the bumpy horse. They have flat-out told me as such.

As far as I'm concerned, if you want to leave a man, then get the gumption to leave. I'm all for empowering them mentally to think for themselves and to stand on their own, but to speak on their behalf because they're too weak too--no, sorry, that's ridiculous. If you're mentally deficient that's one thing, but otherwise, own your attitude, own your tentativeness, and do better. If you don't have a backbone, get some help to get one, not have someone speak for you.

And you sure as heck don't presume to speak for Janay just because there are people like that.
Now, granted, efforts made towards helping the emotionally scarred to speak out, and to get them out of those awful situations and prosecute the abuser I'm all for all of that. Abuse is wrong period. There's no place for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 05:15 AM

1,680 posts, read 1,793,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
I love how more people (including the National Organization for Women) are more concerned about what the NFL--Rice's employer--is doing about the assault than what the People of the State of New Jersey didn't do about it.
I feel your comment found itself lost in the shuffle-good point!

Old 09-12-2014, 08:03 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
There's the problem, right there. Because when you say that, you mean 24/7 ownership of your soul. It is an ugly concept that was pushed hard on the public by Edwin Meece and his ilk in the Reagan administration and was one of the crowbars used to compel scorched earth warrant-less drug testing of the American public. Our founders are still turning in their graves over the success of that campaign.

It was clear by 1988 that the preservation of Constitutional principle and, thus, true America freedom was a lost cause. Most posting in this thread have never lived what we have lost and thus have never known what we have lost.

The stark contrast between my generation and today's youth is that we fought the system where we saw wrongs and we tried our best to make them right. Today's kids were programmed from birth to enforce the system and to heap scorn aplenty on non-conformists.

Oh....and I know exactly why my point is hard to understand. And that is why I'm not going to waste time arguing about it for 20 more pages.

You represent your employer only when you are, in fact, representing your employer.

Good day.
I have to agree with this <bold> and furthermore I would put forth that we've become a pile on mob society.
We're supposed to be a nation of laws with punishment dictated by those laws and the power to inflict said punishment entrusted to judges/juries. I don't see anywhere in our founding documents where it says the media should be involved in that process.
More over, isn't this system set up to avoid the pitch fork/torch crowd that is now encouraged and whipped up by the media?

Old 09-12-2014, 08:24 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Sure some nice guys do. But let me ask you a question. Really handsome guy who's rich, but a dirt bag vs really ugly guy who's broke and nice walk into a bar. Who's doing better with the ladies. Unfortunately people are superficial. It's in our genes. We can't help it. A lot of women are absolutely attracted to "bad boys". Ray rice has probably had more women than you can imagine and constantly has women throwing themselves at him, while some nice guys have real trouble. These are facts. Ray rice is a pure alpha, super strong/dominating, aggressive, rich and famous with social status. Women go NUTS for that.
I don't care about money. However of course a woman is going to be more attracted to the attractive guy. Are you telling me that if there was an ugly woman & an attractive woman at the bar, you wouldn't go for the attractive woman?

Old 09-12-2014, 09:21 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
And how do you pretend to KNOW this for a FACT? You don't, unless you're personal friends with Janay and she's told you so.

And those who are emotionally goofed up, how does that automatically dictate that Janay is that, and how does that limit Janay's right to speak for herself rather than having an "advocate" pretend to know what she's REALLY thinking?

You don't have to be an expert on domestic violence to have a valid opinion, certainly most of the 80 billion people calling for Ray Rice's head have no experience with domestic violence yet it hasn't stopped them from giving their 2 cents worth. I have talked to women who spoke of how their men hit them and yet they chose to stay, fully aware of who they are. It's almost like it's a game to them, to show how they are "woman enough" to handle their man's drama or whatever, and they take pride in their ability to ride the bumpy horse. They have flat-out told me as such.

As far as I'm concerned, if you want to leave a man, then get the gumption to leave. I'm all for empowering them mentally to think for themselves and to stand on their own, but to speak on their behalf because they're too weak too--no, sorry, that's ridiculous. If you're mentally deficient that's one thing, but otherwise, own your attitude, own your tentativeness, and do better. If you don't have a backbone, get some help to get one, not have someone speak for you.

And you sure as heck don't presume to speak for Janay just because there are people like that.

Reading comprehension problem? I listed reasons she could be staying and said pick one, it doesn't matter. I did not say 'this is why she is staying'.

And yes, any woman who stays with a man who abuses her is messed up - OR SHE WOULDN'T REMAIN IN A SITUATION WHERE SHE WAS BEING ABUSED! It's like beating a dog who ends up broken and fearful of even going outside. Is it really that difficult for you to comprehend?

Women who stay in abusive relationships try to justify it any way they can. Bottom line is, they are emotionally broken and need help - no matter what reasons they give for staying.

You can blame women who are beaten for not just leaving, and call it an attitude problem, but that shows ignorance of the topic. Do yourself a favor and do some research on the subject at hand so you have an informed view instead of silly conjecture about what you think the dynamic is all about.

Old 09-12-2014, 09:25 AM

2,601 posts, read 3,398,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I don't care about money. However of course a woman is going to be more attracted to the attractive guy. Are you telling me that if there was an ugly woman & an attractive woman at the bar, you wouldn't go for the attractive woman?
Of course I would as would any other man. That's what I said. But I'd choose an average looking woman who's a good person over a beautiful woman who's a ***** any day of the week. You have to pay attention to what's on the inside just as much as what's on the outside. Many people unfortunately just pay attention to superficial stuff solely.

Old 09-12-2014, 09:30 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,035,896 times
Meh....A man has to keep his "pimp hand" strong and sometimes that requires an attitude adjustment. Sure he could have walked away, but then next time she hits harder or does worse. By walking away she gets uppity and wont learn her place. Some women just think too dam much for their own good. All that said, he does have to temper his hand due to his strength, and apparently her glass jaw. He shouldn't be banned for it, just sit out a few games, pay a fine and get some therapy.

Old 09-12-2014, 09:47 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,208,300 times
you cannot spit on a woman and then hit her. This makes me sick.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:04 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
For the ignorant here, who like blaming the victim for staying, you can start educating yourselves by reading this article.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:45 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I have to agree with this <bold> and furthermore I would put forth that we've become a pile on mob society.
We're supposed to be a nation of laws with punishment dictated by those laws and the power to inflict said punishment entrusted to judges/juries. I don't see anywhere in our founding documents where it says the media should be involved in that process.
More over, isn't this system set up to avoid the pitch fork/torch crowd that is now encouraged and whipped up by the media?
Today's kids are all about the pitch forks and the torches....it's what they were taught and it's all they know. Whether it be "gay" marriage, climate change , the "war on women", or Ray Rice, there is one acceptable viewpoint and you WILL think approved thoughts or be damned and be scorned, if not jailed, for life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events