Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 12:02 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times

Advertisements

This past Saturday was the last instance of Saturday morning cartoons aired on broadcast TV.

Vortexx came to an end on September 27, 2014, and was replaced the following week with a live-action E/I block from Litton Entertainment named One Magnificent Morning, marking the end of traditional Saturday morning children's programming on broadcast television.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 12:06 AM

3,649 posts, read 4,501,268 times
Not sure what Vortexx is and I haven't had cable in about 4 years, but are you telling me there isn't 1 channel left anywhere that is showing 1 cartoon on a Saturday morning? Sounds fishily incorrect to me.

Old 09-29-2014, 12:20 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
This past Saturday was the last instance of Saturday morning cartoons aired on broadcast TV.

Vortexx came to an end on September 27, 2014, and was replaced the following week with a live-action E/I block from Litton Entertainment named One Magnificent Morning, marking the end of traditional Saturday morning children's programming on broadcast television.
Broadcast TV is dying anyway. I doubt that anyone cares.

Old 09-29-2014, 01:06 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,277,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Not sure what Vortexx is and I haven't had cable in about 4 years, but are you telling me there isn't 1 channel left anywhere that is showing 1 cartoon on a Saturday morning? Sounds fishily incorrect to me.
Check the link.

OP is correct. Only one NBC preschool animated program block remains.

Hey, wait! I have an idea. ... how about people CHECK THE FREAKING LINK before accusing an OP of lying.

Old 09-29-2014, 01:13 AM

3,649 posts, read 4,501,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Check the link.

OP is correct. Only one NBC preschool animated program block remains.

Hey, wait! I have an idea. ... how about people CHECK THE FREAKING LINK before accusing an OP of lying.
The link didn't help at all. I still refuse to believe that there is not ONE cartoon playing on ANY channel ANYWHERE on a Sautrday morning.

Surprise surprise, it's not true
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gotta_S...nimated_series

Old 09-29-2014, 06:08 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
There were some great ones, but it never got any better than Schoolhouse Rock!

A Noun is a Person Place or Thing Schoolhouse Rock - YouTube

School House Rock -The Preamble - YouTube

[And they may be long gone from Saturday morning TV, but we have them all on DVD, and my kids - born between 1996 and 1998 - loved them!]

Old 09-29-2014, 06:34 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
The link didn't help at all. I still refuse to believe that there is not ONE cartoon playing on ANY channel ANYWHERE on a Sautrday morning.

Surprise surprise, it's not true
Gotta See Saturdays - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That's Nickelodeon, not broadcast TV.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:47 AM

306 posts, read 821,382 times
Last time I checked, PBS airs plenty of cartoons. I know it varies by affiliate and not every PBS station shows kids programming on the weekends but they have hardly abandoned the format. Granted, it's for a younger age group but it does exist on broadcast. And as mentioned, Quobo still exists on NBC and is a sub channel on many stations.

Cartoons died for a few reasons. Obviously, cable being the biggest one. The other is e/I programming. Most cartoons unless for preschoolers don't qualify. That leaves limited time especially since so many affiliates are now airing a large amount of news on the weekends. They have to find 3 hours somewhere and action cartoons don't fit the bill.

Old 09-29-2014, 08:56 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,968,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty711 View Post
Last time I checked, PBS airs plenty of cartoons. I know it varies by affiliate and not every PBS station shows kids programming on the weekends but they have hardly abandoned the format. Granted, it's for a younger age group but it does exist on broadcast. And as mentioned, Quobo still exists on NBC and is a sub channel on many stations.

Cartoons died for a few reasons. Obviously, cable being the biggest one. The other is e/I programming. Most cartoons unless for preschoolers don't qualify. That leaves limited time especially since so many affiliates are now airing a large amount of news on the weekends. They have to find 3 hours somewhere and action cartoons don't fit the bill.
Only problem with this is due to the digital broadcasting now, not everyone gets PBS stations anymore, my family included. I know there is no chance of getting the old ways back, but it still doesn't change how badly it sucks to have gone from 8 different over the air stations to 4 in my area. Also leaves nothing for my kid to watch an any given time.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:14 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,818,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severs View Post
Only problem with this is due to the digital broadcasting now, not everyone gets PBS stations anymore, my family included. I know there is no chance of getting the old ways back, but it still doesn't change how badly it sucks to have gone from 8 different over the air stations to 4 in my area. Also leaves nothing for my kid to watch an any given time.

Maybe buy him/her some books?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events