Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 11:23 AM

993 posts, read 1,561,026 times

Advertisements

THANK YOU!

I thought I was done with these forums yesterday when I saw that this college campus riot was the big story on my homepage but not a soul mentioned it here. When poor minorities do it it's because they're unpredictable thugs. When drunken white kids do it, it's just a few crazy kids who got a little out of hand.

...post-racial society, my a**.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 11:27 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,250,398 times
No opinion on whether these two are comparable yet, but these comparisons could help:
1. How long did each riot last?
2. How many people were at the relative riots?
3. How fast did the police in each riot resort to tear gas and were these methods used before guns came out in Ferguson?
4. Were weapons used/present in each riot by the participants?
5. What is the recent history of violent crime in each area?
6. Were police/other people being attacked in either?

Old 10-20-2014, 11:48 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Because white cops will handle themselves with restraint and professionalism when dealing with out of control white kids.

So therefore this just gets deemed as just some kids having some good ole clean fun...no big deal. The people defending this should imagine their grandmothers out in the middle of this, or having the misfortune of their car being parked in the middle of this "fun."
Because white cops show restraint with white kids? LOL !

Maybe where you live, but not around here.

You meant to say " rich kids" right? Because that's pretty much true wherever you live.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:07 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,780,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Tell us what the difference is? There is none. Other than people equating black faces with violence & white faces with "Oh, those drunk college kids. They're harmless".
THis is key.

Unfortunately, we're villainized from childhood.

This overall perception that violence committed by whites (specifically young, often educated whites) is benign and therefore nothing concerning is ridiculous. But the media and our society as a whole will always keep perpetuating that lie as fact. As a result, no matter what they do or don't do, they will never face the same denigrating perception/consequences as we do... This is justice at it's finest.

What a shame...

Old 10-20-2014, 12:45 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Because white cops show restraint with white kids? LOL !

Maybe where you live, but not around here.

You meant to say " rich kids" right? Because that's pretty much true wherever you live.
Where any of them shot dead? Beaten to a pulp?

Old 10-20-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Where any of them shot dead? Beaten to a pulp?
Again, RICH kids. I guess you missed my point entirely. Perhaps I wasn't expressing myself well.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:52 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Again, RICH kids. I guess you missed my point entirely. Perhaps I wasn't expressing myself well.
No, I get it. Rich definitely gets an even special layer of kid gloves put on when it is time for the cops to deal with them.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:23 PM

73,019 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erjunkee View Post
THis is key.

Unfortunately, we're villainized from childhood.

This overall perception that violence committed by whites (specifically young, often educated whites) is benign and therefore nothing concerning is ridiculous. But the media and our society as a whole will always keep perpetuating that lie as fact. As a result, no matter what they do or don't do, they will never face the same denigrating perception/consequences as we do... This is justice at it's finest.

What a shame...
When Vancouver had hockey riots in 1994 and 2011, nothing about race was made about it. No Black people rioting. Same goes for Montreal's hockey riots. Denver Super Bowl riots. It gets looked at as merrymaking gone wrong. I watched a video and part of it had a woman whose car got destroyed. Thousands of dollars right there. Alot of damage from the riots, but it's viewed as reckless behavior. If Blacks did it, it's viewed as "they do this because they are Black".

Consider this. Storming the field is basically non-existent in baseball games nowadays. However, this used to be popular in the 70s and 80s. Consider the 1982 Milwaukee Brewers and the fans storming the field after they clinched the AL Pennant. I have to wonder if Black fans did that, would it be perceived as merrymaking during a championship, or impending violence on the way?

Old 10-20-2014, 01:37 PM

Some people just have to make every topic about race or politics. Every single thread. It's disheartening

Old 10-20-2014, 01:37 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,534,651 times
They were probably playing rap music there though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events