Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 04:54 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
If you want other people (especially your employer) to pay your way then the trade off may well be information.
The thing is that this isn't exactly "what people want" as much as it is "what is". And let's not forget it's this way because EMPLOYERS used it as a way to woo employees and even though many people want to uncouple insurance from employment we currently have a large number of people who don't what that to happen. It's a lot like pre-existing conditions making your insurance rates higher isn't is?

We have a two-tiered system, we made this mess, and I suspect it will all be moot in 10 years once real healthcare refore (or at lease health insurance reform) happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 10:09 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,369,310 times
People want 'universal health care,' but with subsidies comes intrusion. The party footing the bill, whether it's a corporate bureaucrat or a government bureaucrat is driven to find ways to reduce claims, because that is money coming out of their budget. Intrusion is already the norm in other countries.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/13/wo...anted=all&_r=0

The CDC says that up to 75% of health care costs are due to behavior.
CDC - Chronic Disease - Home Page

To the extent that we have collectivized health care, we will have collectivized control of behavior.

Old 11-18-2014, 06:38 AM

37,626 posts, read 46,026,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Sounds like some people need to find jobs at other companies. I've had health insurance for decades through various employers all over the country and have never had to endure anything even remotely like this. Heck, if we have a gym membership we get a discount! No one asks for blood, urine, or any exam.
That is also part of the wellness program, and many companies now have this as part of their healthcare program. But annual screenings are becoming more and more common. The employer I work for now (last 12 years) uses Sentara for health care, and those programs implemented annual screenings about 3 or 4 years ago, for us.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:55 AM

1,242 posts, read 1,690,879 times
My husbands company does something similar, although not that intrusive. Weight, height, finger stick, fasting blood levels, cholesterol and questionnaire.

They require employees AND their spouse (if they are under the insurance) to submit to a health check or have the insurance rate go up by $1000! I find it completely intrusive and very worrying. Under protest I went along with it this year and was thankful when my sample was lost.

Its not about being in-shape, we are fit. A corporation has NO business being allowed to see, or possibly dictate the health/ healthcare of an employee. What happens when they get an early warning that you may have cancer or something else? I could easily see this not being disclosed and someone being fired later on to avoid the treatment costs or time off. It should be illegal for an employer to require anything beyond a drug test.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:59 AM

1,242 posts, read 1,690,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottkuzminski View Post
I can see a "Privacy is Selfish" meme being put out there soon, to put the onus on people who still desire not to be uploaded, per personal vitals/info, into the "grid"......
I can already envision the political propaganda!

Old 11-18-2014, 08:21 AM

1,170 posts, read 1,024,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottkuzminski View Post
This is not "ALL BAD"........As someone mentioned earlier, companies handle this differently, some with respect and within reason.....

The problem is, some now are either coercing, or close to coercing, employees to take and PASS these tests. For all these years until now, even insurance companies themselves did not require the same whatsoever. The question is, why now?......and where is the slippery slope that is just bubbling up, where companies can coerce you, under duress of being dropped?
Why now? The costs of healthcare are skyrocketing and the science around prevention is persuasive. Life insurance companies have always required significant health data. Again, if you don't want to have someone else pay you don't need to share any info.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:39 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,848,868 times
If these things had anything to do with encouraging a healthy workforce, then companies would be paying for gym memberships and nutrition classes. And honestly, if that were the case, I wouldn't have a huge problem with it. I'd be happy to get my cholesterol checked if the company paid my $80/month gym membership.

The facade of the "healthy workforce" angle is more repulsive than the tests themselves. It's a cost-saving measure, pure and simple.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:18 AM

15,534 posts, read 10,510,396 times
"Wellness "inspections" in workplaces....100X more intrusive than drug tests.."

Hmmm, I think when that info is revealed, during the job interview, it's time to say "probe you". Not really, but you catch my drift. Run, do not walk to the exit. Way over the top.

Last edited by elan; 11-18-2014 at 09:38 AM..

Old 11-18-2014, 09:27 AM

1,170 posts, read 1,024,870 times
This is not about whether you get hired (in most places that wouldn't be permissible under human rights legislation, much less privacy issues), it's about reducing the rate for insurance coverage.

Those that take care SHOULD pay less, just like safe drivers pay less for car insurance. Healthy folks who don't smoke pay less for life insurance.

It is about money, employers are running a business - they want employees that are able to show up to work and don't (through lack of preventative health care) increase the costs to others.

I don't see why folks are troubled by that. You can call it wellness or whatever you want but it's about taking steps to ensure your most valuable (and expensive in many sectors) assets are well maintained.

To be clear, my arguments for screening and preventative health care do NOT include specific data on individuals ever being provided to employers, just whether the individual is in compliance or not.

Old 11-18-2014, 10:35 AM

800 posts, read 1,298,002 times
my job has wellness tests for employees but only as an opt in to lower the yearly cost a bit. its not anywhere near as intrusive as what you posted. just answer some questions about your general health, discount for not smoking too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events