Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 09:09 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,878,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
This is just another way that the psychotic stalkers in HR can find out every last little detail of everyone's lives. I have come to believe that mentally ill people are attracted to the Human Resources field of pseudo-scientists.
Sorry, but the HR folks don't WANT to know you medical business, it's just another task added their list of ever growing responsibilities. They, like many others, do this reluctantly as it's a job requirement. Take it up with the organization they work for, or the health insurance co.. Better still, the govt. who, no matter what people say, allows them to do this

To my knowledge, (I could be wrong), the only way an employee can fight this is for it to be an EEOC or ADA issues. It will get worse. Like the other poster said, I feel so sorry for young people now. They have to put up with things like this that we never dreamt of when we were their age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 10:43 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,943,287 times
Eh, I go through something similar but far more stringent every 6 months, plus I have to reveal my medical history, and even so much as being on cold meds is enough to keep us from work. But then again, we are exempt from most ADA protections.

Old 11-15-2014, 11:00 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,500,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
“The doctor of the future will give no medicine, but will interest his patients in the care of the human frame, in diet and in the cause and prevention of disease." ~ Thomas Edison
This is a joke. Doctors don't know a damn thing about nutrition, or the cause and prevention of disease. They can't prevent it in themselves, or their families. In fact, they don't know much about medicines, either. They just prescribe what the salesman who just walked out the door, sold them on.

Old 11-15-2014, 01:16 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,761,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Yes, I agree. It is also putting the person in charge of their on welfare. My husband hasn't been to the doctor in ten years, is overweight and in his 50's. He os a walking example of why wellness programs are a good thing.

If he had to have a biometric screening, it would prevent him having serious health issues as he ages, and us serious expenses. The sprinkling is everyone of you pays for this too!

Premiums are high because too many of is are not taking preventative measures to stay healthy. If you are a person who is healthy, and works at it you should be rewarded. If you are a person who isn't healthy but takes steps to get healthy you should be rewarded.
So you want someone to be able to force your husband to do what you are constantly nagging him to do.

Old 11-15-2014, 01:39 PM

10,246 posts, read 6,337,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
This is a joke. Doctors don't know a damn thing about nutrition, or the cause and prevention of disease. They can't prevent it in themselves, or their families. In fact, they don't know much about medicines, either. They just prescribe what the salesman who just walked out the door, sold them on.
Oh, most deffintitely. My husband constantly sees doctors and has been been on meds (at least a dozen) for over 30 years. He has had numerous surgeries and had a heart attack recently. Yes, he is overweight and for decades has blamed 100 lbs. me's cooking for that. Right.

I haven't had a doctor in 30 years since pregnancy. I take zero meds, not even OTC. No problems at all; despite smoking, drinking, not working out, and eating whatever I want, when I want.

What doctors, and medicine, do not want to talk about is GENES. My Great-Grandma lived to be 94 years old. She NEVER had ANY vax, survived the Spanish Flu Pandemic, Wellness programs, DOCTORS, etc. Want to know how she died? Old Age? Nope, she was run over by a Taxi crossing a NYC street! Oh., dear medicine, prevent that???? Maybe she would have lived to be 200 years old!!!!!

Idiots. Nobody ever wants to talk about your GENES. Why? Because medicine, doctors, and all these Wellness programs, can do NOTHING about your genetic makeup. Bad genes? Maybe you could do everything they say, and will still die young. Good genes? Maybe you could do everything WRONG, and still live into your 90's.

Maybe you need to look at your own family history before you put so much FAITH in all this medicine.

Old 11-15-2014, 01:57 PM

37,152 posts, read 42,265,203 times
Quote:
He is my husband, not my child. he knows how I feel. I have expressed my concerns several times.
So ask his mom and dad to step in, or a trusted authority figure. Apparently your H needs to someone in authority to run his life because he can't control himself. That's what you are saying without even realizing it.

Your personal anecdote doesn't make wellness programs look good, it just makes your husband look bad.

Old 11-15-2014, 03:24 PM

607 posts, read 762,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
This. Exactly this. It's insurance. That's how insurance companies work.
Yes, I understand insurance companies need to minimize risk, but they have done that for the entire 20th century as well in the USA, without asking for mandatory procurement of fluids and biometrics/markers...

Before, you would simply be insured in a pool, and the actuaries seemed to be able to handle it without any mandatory "wellness probes" whatsoever. Now, they "probe" because they can, and workers have not yet petitioned their congressmen, national and local, yet, enmasse..

I would suggest they should and now, before this becomes the new normal, and people are denied coverage, de facto, by charging more for not passing or taking the tests for privacy concerns.

Seems like employees seem to be quite okay already simply by being monitored by camera, and often sound, always/everywhere, web clicking obviously as well.

It has gotten so intrusive that they seem to know more about us than we do ourselves.....and, with the entire human genome being sequenced for about the price of a urine test in about a year, you will have zero rights/privacy anymore.

Big Brother, per workplaces, is absolutely here..

Old 11-15-2014, 03:34 PM

607 posts, read 762,592 times
Quote:
Yes, I agree. It is also putting the person in charge of their on welfare. My husband hasn't been to the doctor in ten years, is overweight and in his 50's. He os a walking example of why wellness programs are a good thing.

If he had to have a biometric screening, it would prevent him having serious health issues as he ages, and us serious expenses. The sprinkling is everyone of you pays for this too!

Premiums are high because too many of is are not taking preventative measures to stay healthy. If you are a person who is healthy, and works at it you should be rewarded. If you are a person who isn't healthy but takes steps to get healthy you should be rewarded.
The point is, we have to live healthy lifestyles freely, without having to submit our very personal bodies to be probed and such annually. What if your company saw you had a condition they might have to pay out more than they wanted to, and found reason to demote or remove you, or, in your case, decided to demote/fire your husband?

How about, also, the fear of having to toe the line and pass these tests, or be raked over with high premiums?

After all is said, it is really just a personal privacy issue, is all. Companies simply do not have the right to coerce an employee to submit to biometrics and probing on any basis, including insurance.

I want to live a healthy lifestyle because I love and respect my body, not because I fear Corporation X will demote me or drop my coverage if I don't pass their latest "screening"..

I absolutely do agree, vuevegirl, that people should take responsibility for their health, and they should not blame it on the media, or the wares available at the grocery or "fast food row" of their neighborhood........but that is absolutely a personal thing, and
someone has to "wanna" do it, for the right reaons, per respecting their body and loving live, wanting a long and healthy version of the same, not from fear of jacking up someone's premiums in their respective insurer's pool...

Old 11-15-2014, 03:37 PM

27,175 posts, read 15,356,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I disagree completely. It IS a choice. You can pay for your own insurance and not accept the employers group plan. ANYone can do that.

So you disagree with the Equal Opportunity Employment Commission I see.

Just as tax in compulsory under threat of force (force can well be monetarily) you can also chose not to pay up.

................if you want to be penalized.

In my personal case I would lose $2000..

That is no choice at all, that is force.

Old 11-15-2014, 03:47 PM

27,175 posts, read 15,356,275 times
No one is against good health practices here or even a Wellness Program in & of itself.
The issue is about intrusion, control, and forcing individuals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events