Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 06:40 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,645,708 times

Advertisements

Stanford research reaffirms that right-to-carry gun laws are connected with an increase in violent crime. This debunks – with the latest empirical evidence – earlier claims that more guns actually lead to less crime.

Right-to-carry gun laws linked to increase in violent crime, Stanford research shows
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 06:42 PM

671 posts, read 892,005 times
Look who paid for that little study......
It isn't Gruber alone who thinks people are stupid.....

Old 11-19-2014, 06:57 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,850,635 times
OP, did you even actually read the article? Or do you need me to really point out this stuff?

Also, the fact is; a criminal does not care IF THERE IS A LAW THAT SAYS HE/SHE CANNOT CARRY A FIREARM. I do not see how you and others cannot get this through your head. Mr. Criminal is not going to stop and think "oh, I cannot do this certain crime because it is against the law to carry a firearm, oh well, I will not do it then!"

Also, please explain the low levels of crime in areas with a high rate of people carrying? Explain the high crime levels in areas where it is not allowed? Point is, crime is a personality/cultural issue, nothing to do with a legal right to carry a firearm or not. There is in fact millions of people who carry a firearm and do not commit a crime everyday.

Additionally, violent crime has been declining for years, yet the number of people carrying and number of firearms in general have increased.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:08 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,504,786 times
Not so read carefully the article
They have lumped right to carry and permit to carry together
However right to open carry certainly would provoke more aggravated assault as stated
If u r a ferguson thug if u r quick you donkey punch them and can grab that glock and maybe an iPhone 6 at Starbucks in the same afternoon!

Old 11-19-2014, 07:08 PM

119 posts, read 174,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Stanford research reaffirms that right-to-carry gun laws are connected with an increase in violent crime. This debunks – with the latest empirical evidence – earlier claims that more guns actually lead to less crime.Right-to-carry gun laws linked to increase in violent crime, Stanford research shows
I don't know if you actually bothered to read the article so i'll post a few of the quotes from it.

"Different statistical models can yield different estimated effects, and our ability to ascertain the best model is imperfect,".................

"The totality of the evidence based on educated judgments about the best statistical models suggests that right-to-carry laws are associated with substantially higher rates"

In other words, what they are saying is statistical models are just pure empiricism, and by virtue of their method they defy metaphysics.

Still confused? They clearly state in a murky manner that its just their opinion.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:10 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,641,405 times
If you actually read the article then you'd know this isn't conclusive in any way, the author of the study says as much.

I think the only thing that matters is if homicides by concealed carry holders went up or has become a problem (which it hasn't, and never has been a problem). People have the right to defend themselves, it isn't reliant on producing any particular result (like to lower overall crime), although it is nice when it appears to do just that.

There is tons of empirical evidence that having lots of concealed carry holders results in a drop off of violent crime. That also makes the most logical sense, criminals don't like getting shot. It's a much more immediate and impactful consequence then the possibility of being charged for breaking a couple laws.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:12 PM

671 posts, read 892,005 times
People believe what they want to believe......

Old 11-19-2014, 07:14 PM

1,875 posts, read 1,329,718 times
BAN LEGAL GUNS NOW !!

when will you people learn.... look at how great and safe Chicago is since its IMPOSSIBLE to get a legal handgun... Chicago should be the model society.... NO LEGAL GUNS = NO CRIME because the laws make it impossible for anyone to own a handgun...!!

ohh...... wait....

Nevermind.......

LOL

</sarcasm>

Old 11-19-2014, 07:41 PM

260 posts, read 326,711 times
I am calling that article bs. There is not credible there.
"If you listen to complex statistical models" sorry only lies hide behind "complex statistical models" facts are more evident.

Name some credible numbers.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:55 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,793,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
OP, did you even actually read the article? Or do you need me to really point out this stuff?

Also, the fact is; a criminal does not care IF THERE IS A LAW THAT SAYS HE/SHE CANNOT CARRY A FIREARM. I do not see how you and others cannot get this through your head. Mr. Criminal is not going to stop and think "oh, I cannot do this certain crime because it is against the law to carry a firearm, oh well, I will not do it then!"
Any criminal is not going to care whether there is a law against something or not; criminals by nature, are breaking the law. Rather, any normal person who encounters a situation in which they feel a need to protect themselves is only given a certain number of options and are just as likely as a criminal to use a gun if the right to carry exists. That's why, theoretically, every normal person having concealed carry is just as frighting as the few criminals who are willing to break the law and use a firearm. At least in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events