Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 09:26 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,988,252 times

Advertisements

Mods... can you please clean up the Current Events forum. Move or delete all the political posts to the political forum. Hopefully I'm not alone in wanting these moved or gone.

Then feel free to delete this post as well.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:22 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,110,790 times
Agreed. If I wanted to read a bunch of people's thoughts on the President, I'd go to the politics forum.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:35 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,221,390 times
Best bet is to just report the thread and move on.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:38 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,448,855 times
Thank you for bringing this up. I've been considering deleting the forum from my subscribed fora. I had added it because I thought it would be a place where rational, intelligent discussion regarding current events could take place. I was under the understanding that it would be strictly moderated to avoid it becoming another P& OC cesspool. That clearly is not happening. If that is how and what it is going to be I'd recommend closing it. No sense having a duplicate forum.

It's a shame. It was a good idea.

Old 11-21-2014, 03:14 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,280,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Thank you for bringing this up. I've been considering deleting the forum from my subscribed fora. I had added it because I thought it would be a place where rational, intelligent discussion regarding current events could take place. I was under the understanding that it would be strictly moderated to avoid it becoming another P& OC cesspool. That clearly is not happening. If that is how and what it is going to be I'd recommend closing it. No sense having a duplicate forum.

It's a shame. It was a good idea.
Agreed. +1

Old 11-21-2014, 03:55 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,624,166 times
Well, I think it still is a good idea. It's a tough line to draw, because so many current events are political in nature. Some of these threads are probably pretty difficult calls for the moderators. Where is the boundary? Comes down to a judgment call, and not everyone is going to see it the same way.

I don't think we should give up, and I don't think we should assume the mod/admin team has, either. It may take the staff some time to hash this out in their private forum and develop a clear and consistent approach to moderating these threads. In the meantime, I think we should help the moderators out by reporting them every time they pop up, because it's quite possible that a lot of them have just been flying under their radar. After all, of the 30 threads on Page 1, only 5 or 6 seem to me to cross the line. I can easily see where that would escape a moderator's notice for a day or two.

Let's just be patient, and try to work with the staff to turn it around. I agree with those who say that if this forum is simply going to be a duplicate of the Politics forum, it will have become useless and I won't bother with it anymore, but I think we're still a long ways from that point.

Old 11-21-2014, 05:29 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,362,586 times
If a thread seems a bit (or more) too political for Current Events, just don't respond to it. The more people that ignore it, the quicker it will be off the front page.

Old 11-21-2014, 05:34 PM

260 posts, read 326,192 times
I don't understand how you can avoid politics in the discussion of current events, some element of it is always there.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:10 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,624,166 times
I don't think anyone expects us to completely avoid any mention of politics, but I'm assuming that in the eyes of the staff, it's a matter of degree.

If a thread is about a current event that is political in nature, I think it should be in the Political forum. My understanding of this forum is that it's a venue to discuss things that are in the news, but not primarily political - the Rosetta mission, Mrs. Charles Manson, pit bulls, and so forth. A thread asking people to rate a half dozen presidents, for example, does not seem to me to be a current event. Not is a thread asking people if they approve of Obama. Or a thread discussing "Obamigration." In fact, that's a subject that is specifically listed in the posting guidelines as not appropriate for this forum, but there it is anyway. These are threads that are primarily political in nature, and there's already a forum for that.

A lot of us who post here do so specifically because we don't want to be constantly arguing about politics. We want a place where we can discuss the events of the day without it invariably deteriorating into "Obama sucks - no, Bush sucked worse." Our understanding is that this is precisely the purpose of this forum, and if so, it doesn't seem like too much to ask.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:09 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,874,311 times
Maybe members need to click on the sticky link for the forum and read it before posting. Perhaps the moderators could also take note of the same sticky as well. I would think that "locking" the thread instead of moving it would get the original member/s to understand what isn't suppose to be posted here.

Quote:
Please don't bring politics into any topic on this forum. The Politics and Other Controversies forum is here. Do not respond to any political posts. Report them.

Very controversial topics should also be placed in the Politics and Other Controversies or another forum about them. No threads about gun laws, religion, gay marriage, abortion, unions, immigration, healthcare laws, minimum wage, taxes, etc. should be here.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/28879964-post1.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events