Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2014, 08:12 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,023,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
That you probably have to vacuum a lot?

well, there is THAT.... LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 08:17 AM

12,383 posts, read 8,139,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
Why are people so anti- Pit Bull?
Because there are thousands of kinds of dog you can have but those with pit bull in their mix have greater physical capabilities to kill people. And dogs have an independent brain to do make a kill decision no matter what training they are given.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:28 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,310,798 times
I have to admit, Rotties make me nervous, too, but I've seen the "lights on, nobody's home" look in a pit bull's face as she threatened me.

Look, any dog can be vicious. But the norm for the big breeds isn't to kill people. Their brains don't have that disconnect that allow them to stop thinking and become a killing machine. You'd have to really screw up a GSD to make him a killer. It's not a big leap for a Pit. And there are cases where the dog was fine, being raised with a family, then killing one of the children.

My puppygirl can get like that. Her brain stops working and she's in a frenzy if you keep goading her. But she's 9 pounds and she can be talked down off of her little rage-high fairly easily. (I always tell her Animal Cops would have her put down)

Old 12-28-2014, 08:40 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,618,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post

hhhhmmmm .... let's see.... I have

a Red Heeler mix

a Boxer x Lab x who knows what mix

a Jack Russel Terrier X Beagle mix

a Rat Terrier mix

two Domestic Shorthair cats, one a tuxedo and one a tortie-tabbie

what does that reflect about me??

Ummm...that you like animals around you? Why the roll eyes? I'm quite sure that all your critters are friendly enough, if, perhaps a bit aloof. ( especially the cats) and have play routines and such that suit both them and you. My dogs behavior and personality suit my lifestyle and compliment it as well. She is a reflection of the type of person I am. Made so by her and I's close association with each other.

Just in the same manner as a child, an animal is a reflection of its upbringing, environment, care and conditioning. Your animals have no training? Their environment is haphazard? They just fend for themselves, i. e. you don't feed or vet them, so their physical condition reflects no input from you? I think you must get the jist. I would hope so.

My dog is 15. A Pearnese/Husky mix. She is healthy, well fed, very loved(spoiled actually) playful and happy. She even made friends with an alley cat that hangs out around here. A rough old Tom, and be visits her, daily, to play. Damn right my dog reflects things about me.

Whether positive or negative, your animals reflect on you in many ways. I hope that clarifies my post somewhat, and blunts your contempt.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:46 AM

969 posts, read 2,851,464 times
Blame the deed - not the breed.
In so MANY of these stories - the dog is not a "Pit Bull" at all. The specific dog in this story does not look like a Pit Bull to me - a mix at best. I think with the advent of DNA testing they should test the offending animal and identify them correctly so that the public can get past the catch-all "Pit Bull" label.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:51 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,110,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I have to admit, Rotties make me nervous, too, but I've seen the "lights on, nobody's home" look in a pit bull's face as she threatened me.

Look, any dog can be vicious. But the norm for the big breeds isn't to kill people. Their brains don't have that disconnect that allow them to stop thinking and become a killing machine. You'd have to really screw up a GSD to make him a killer. It's not a big leap for a Pit. And there are cases where the dog was fine, being raised with a family, then killing one of the children.

My puppygirl can get like that. Her brain stops working and she's in a frenzy if you keep goading her. But she's 9 pounds and she can be talked down off of her little rage-high fairly easily. (I always tell her Animal Cops would have her put down)
9 pounds. Is this a pit bull pup, or some breed that will stay small?

Old 12-28-2014, 09:00 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
IMHO - Keeping a war dog breed like a pit bull around is like keeping an old gunpowder filled grenade. You can never be certain it that it will NEVER go off by itself.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:09 AM

17,371 posts, read 14,618,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasonville View Post
Blame the deed - not the breed.
In so MANY of these stories - the dog is not a "Pit Bull" at all. The specific dog in this story does not look like a Pit Bull to me - a mix at best. I think with the advent of DNA testing they should test the offending animal and identify them correctly so that the public can get past the catch-all "Pit Bull" label.
It was a pit bull.

They actually had two pits.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:00 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,618,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
IMHO - Keeping a war dog breed like a pit bull around is like keeping an old gunpowder filled grenade. You can never be certain it that it will NEVER go off by itself.
Hmmm...the term "war dog" would seem a bit ...relative. That is a job given an animal, and a product of training, more than breed. My horse was trained as a "war horse". Conditioned to tolerate gunfire, waving flags and lots of noise that, naturally, she would be afraid of.

Granted, certain breeds of dog would make better "war" dogs than others, but its still a job that training makes them good at. The most vicious and out of the blue, unprovoked attack, I have ever, personally, seen by a dog was by a Chow. He attacked two boys , who were playing with a ball. A good distance away from him as well. He turned on the owner when be tried to get control of him as well. Ugly.

This is a debate with a LOT of variables. At the end of the day, animals are living beings, with individual personality traits, some of these quite bad, and made worse in some cases by owners. Animals, also, are subject to many of the same mental illnesses and physical, as well, that humans are. In some cases, these may manifest in a highly aggressive manner. Including murderous rage. Dogs, such as Pits, just happen to be well equipped to do serious damage when that happens.

If the owner has trained and conditioned the dog to be a weapon, that's drinking kerosene and peeing on a fire. Its my take that anyone who has an animal that they can't, physically, control, or only control with great difficulty, is sitting on your proverbial grenade. How often, I have seen small women being towed by large, powerful, dogs, that if they were to attack , there would be zero hope of stopping.

Well, getting out of bed and into the shower risks death too, I guess. The last dog I , personally, was bitten by was a damn Yorky, and be drew blood too. Right above my boot line through my jeans. The little rat could have really hurt a small child. At any rate, this debate will never be settled. I think I might look up some dog attack stats to see just what breeds top the list and under what circumstances.

Edit: dogsbite.org. Interesting studies galore. Much info, and much that makes me reexamine the breed/owner issue. Pits top the unprovoked and fatal attack chart, at 89%. Followed by German Shepherd. The one particular study I read concludes that the Pit breed is not removed far enough from its breeding as a fighting animal to be considered as a pet/companion of even and predictable temperament. Their findings conclude that the Pits reputation as a killer is well deserved. Don't shoot the messenger Pit lovers, all the other studies on the site had the same findings. It would seem that they are a bad breed, made worse by bad owners, and the genetics in play cannot be overcome.

Last edited by NVplumber; 12-28-2014 at 10:33 AM..

Old 12-28-2014, 10:23 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,185,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Because there are thousands of kinds of dog you can have but those with pit bull in their mix have greater physical capabilities to kill people. And dogs have an independent brain to do make a kill decision no matter what training they are given.
I do not think they make a decision to do this. That requires more thought process them I think goes into this. It is just part of their nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events