Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 03:41 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0gxbCg5_jk

Video Shows Man Shot by New Jersey Police Raising His Hands - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 03:53 PM

17,587 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Looks like a bad shot to me.. Shot him in the back. Cop who was facing him doesn't seem to fire a shot.. He should have really been the only one to take the shot, if one were to be taken..

Driver seemed to do everything right.. Though I can't tell from the video, I think if I were the driver, I would have opened the door from the outside to keep my hands out in sight. I can't see if his right hand was up before he stuck it out the window..

I have no audio.. so.. I can't tell what is being said, and that could change my opinion.

The cop that shot him in the back.. His only excuse would be that he thought the passenger was 'charging' the other cop.. but, it still should have been the cop facing him that took the first shot.

Now to google and get the rest of the story on this..

Ok.. So.. Now reading the story.. Seems both officers fired.. I still think it was a bad shot for the one on drivers side.

This one is tough.. I see the cops side, in that they told him don't move, and he got out of the car.. But, then again, he said he was going to get out and lay down. It did appear that he stumbled on getting out.. I think, all things told.. I'm not sure. The one cop knew him, knew he had been arrested for shooting at cops before.. They, supposedly, found a gun in the car.. I'm really just split on this. All sides are at fault is the best I can come up with. Except the driver.. Again.. Driver did everything right from what I could see. And, he didn't get shot. So.. Now, i'm leaning a bit back towards the cops' side..

Old 01-21-2015, 04:13 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,424,662 times
It's hard to tell since we have no idea what the guy was doing inside the car.

Old 01-21-2015, 04:33 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
I feel the shooting was justified. Cop sees a gun on the dash or glovebox, removes it, all the while repeatedly telling/yelling at the passenger "Don't effing move!". It looks like the cop tried to block the car door or at least pushing against it.

For some reason the passenger ignored the commands and opened the car door (from the video, it looked like he pushed the car door open right into the cop) and was shot (6x?) by both cops.

Victim was known by one of the cops during a previous week's drug bust and had a prior: in jail 13 years for shooting at 3 cops.

Last edited by jaypee; 01-21-2015 at 04:53 PM..

Old 01-21-2015, 04:38 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Here we go again.

You never exit a car during a traffic stop unless told to do so. The passenger informs the cop that he's getting out? Even after being told not to? Huh?

The only one at fault here was the one who chose not to follow orders.

Old 01-21-2015, 04:49 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
I feel the shooting was justified. Cop sees a gun on the dash or glovebox, removes it, all the while repeatedly telling/yelling at the passenger "Don't effing move!". It looks like the cop tried to block the car door or at least pushing against it.

For some reason the passenger ignored the commands and opened the car door (from the video, it looked like he pushed the car door open right into the cop) and was shot (6x?) by both cops.

Victim was known by one of the cops and had a prior: in jail 13 years for shooting at 3 cops.
No cop should have to live with the death of another human being on their shoulders.

"Don't F***ing move!" means "Don't F***ing move!" means "Don't F***ing move!"

Says relatives "he was a goot man...he had a child and was turning his life around!"

Yea.....that's why he had a gun on him.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:05 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,987,904 times
This guy was not cooperating while in the car, see him rocking back and forth apparently struggling with the officer that has one hand inside the car. The officer kept telling him to stop moving his hands and telling him plainly that if he didn't follow directions he would be shot. This is someone known for having a gun and even shooting at cops (why is he not in prison for that) and who's to say he didn't have another weapon on him. He exited the car quickly without being told to do so, and though he had his hands up to his shoulders, the officer had no way of knowing that he didn't have a weapon within easy reach. How long was he suppose to wait with someone like that, he had not been following commands and there is no reason to think he wasn't armed and planned to grab for a weapon after he exited. This thug knows the game and the rules, he is the one that didn't cooperate from the beginning. He should have stuck his hands out the car window as the driver did. This is another case where a body cam would have been valuable as it would have given a much better view of the incident from the officers perspective.

I think this is a justified shooting and I doubt there will be a great deal of fuss made about it given the officer that initiated contact is also black. Now if this had been reversed and the white officer had been on the passenger side, with the exact same things happening, there would have been riots all over the place.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:43 PM

186 posts, read 240,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
This guy was not cooperating while in the car, see him rocking back and forth apparently struggling with the officer that has one hand inside the car. The officer kept telling him to stop moving his hands and telling him plainly that if he didn't follow directions he would be shot. This is someone known for having a gun and even shooting at cops (why is he not in prison for that) and who's to say he didn't have another weapon on him. He exited the car quickly without being told to do so, and though he had his hands up to his shoulders, the officer had no way of knowing that he didn't have a weapon within easy reach. How long was he suppose to wait with someone like that, he had not been following commands and there is no reason to think he wasn't armed and planned to grab for a weapon after he exited. This thug knows the game and the rules, he is the one that didn't cooperate from the beginning. He should have stuck his hands out the car window as the driver did. This is another case where a body cam would have been valuable as it would have given a much better view of the incident from the officers perspective.

I think this is a justified shooting and I doubt there will be a great deal of fuss made about it given the officer that initiated contact is also black. Now if this had been reversed and the white officer had been on the passenger side, with the exact same things happening, there would have been riots all over the place.

That's okay, todd00 - they'll find their excuse to riot and loot, with Darren Wilson having just been cleared of all wrongdoing at the federal level...

Old 01-21-2015, 09:05 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,579,715 times
Had the officer been white protesters would have already hit the streets, but since he's black this story will blow over pretty quickly

Old 01-21-2015, 09:13 PM

240 posts, read 252,453 times
From where I sit that was a totally justified shoot. The idiot burst from that car after repeatedly ordered to stop. I suppose there are people who will insist that his only motive was to sell the police officer some Girl Scout cookies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events