Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 10:23 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,067,462 times

Advertisements

Absolutely shocked somebody got away with such a disgusting obit. Glad to see others joined in the ridicule and offered their own obits in the same light.

Mind would read:
Extremely thin in her youth she gained weight after multiple surgeries and long recoveries.
Still she had a successful career as business owner and landscape designer. She was generally respected and liked even though she frequently was seen around town in dirty jeans and sweaty glow with dirt under her finger nails and mud on her shoes. She had her Alzheimer's stricken mother in her family home for more than 10 years but this made her grumpy and sometimes unsociable. She used to give wonderful parties but had to stop after her mother stripped down naked in the middle of a party because her favorite appetizer was gone. Besides that she was a good mother, a tolerant wife and lived a full life.

Addicting Info – She Was A Best Selling Author And Neuroscientist And This Is How They Chose To Write Her Obituary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 10:27 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,527,280 times
I didn't think it was THAT bad.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:44 AM

21,096 posts, read 19,701,602 times
I found it disgusting as well. I would never even think of commenting on a person's appearance and weight.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:46 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,574,109 times
I can care less what my obit reads. I'll be dead.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:09 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,970,964 times
One of these days, I plan to write my own obit (leaving the date of death out, of course).
The older I get the less patience I have with the typical "Oh, he (she) was an angel in disguise, and NEVER did anything to annoy or hurt anyone!" even though the dead person was gunned down by the FBI in the midst of a drug bust gone wrong!
I am also tired of the euphemisms for DEAD: "He went home to his lord" or "He passed away after a brave fight against a dread disease" or whatever.
No, he DIED!
My obit will start "John M. (Jones) Smith is dead. He died on Feb. 29th, after being run down by a Pabst Blue Ribbon beer truck. He hated being called "Mister", and he will not be so referred to here..."
The reason for the extra name is that I was adopted, and I want my REAL name in the obit.

As for the OP obit, I see nothing wrong with it at all, if it is completely honest. In fact, there is a good chance it was written by the decedent. In that case, it could be considered her last wish, and should be scrupulously honored!
In any case, it is purely up to her family, and is not anybody else's business!

Old 01-30-2015, 11:25 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,221,656 times
I was just wondering yesterday what I'll put in my mom's obit, or say at her funeral. IF there is either. She refuses to do any estate planning and says she has the money to pay for her own funeral But really, what do you say about someone who has been difficult, annoying, a burden to everyone around her from about age 50 on, who's only accomplishment is that she hoarded up her house with crap, seems to not care one bit about me, has never contacted me in my adult life unless she directly wanted something, ignored my in my childhood, made me feel bad for earning a college degree and tells me I'm going to hell? Really... what to you say?? Personally, I'm at the point where I don't even want to deal with the aftermath when she dies. And she has no other family. "Oh, she's dead? Thanks for letting me know. Do what you want with her".

Old 01-30-2015, 11:28 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,527,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I was just wondering yesterday what I'll put in my mom's obit, or say at her funeral. IF there is either. She refuses to do any estate planning and says she has the money to pay for her own funeral But really, what do you say about someone who has been difficult, annoying, a burden to everyone around her from about age 50 on, who's only accomplishment is that she hoarded up her house with crap, seems to not care one bit about me, has never contacted me in my adult life unless she directly wanted something, ignored my in my childhood, made me feel bad for earning a college degree and tells me I'm going to hell? Really... what to you say?? Personally, I'm at the point where I don't even want to deal with the aftermath when she dies. And she has no other family. "Oh, she's dead? Thanks for letting me know. Do what you want with her".
You say Good Riddance!

Old 01-30-2015, 11:29 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,199,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
As for the OP obit, I see nothing wrong with it at all, if it is completely honest. In fact, there is a good chance it was written by the decedent. In that case, it could be considered her last wish, and should be scrupulously honored!
In any case, it is purely up to her family, and is not anybody else's business!
Her family didn't publish this idiocy. She was a world renowned author who sold tens of millions of books. This was written by the newspaper.

Good article here comparing this with the one they published for a male author.

Colleen McCullough: we'll celebrate a woman for anything, as long as it's not her talent | Rebecca Shaw | Comment is free | The Guardian

Old 01-30-2015, 11:35 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,832,942 times
I just want to be buried a little sideways in the dirt. Barrrppp!!!

Old 01-30-2015, 11:36 AM

3,550 posts, read 1,548,826 times
I better get started on writing my own.
I like this one With Cancer Looming Over Him, This ‘Superhero' Wrote an Obituary That Will Keep People Laughing for Years to Come

Denverian, you keep quiet and let others handle it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events