Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 01:12 PM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrower2a View Post

Some of the poorest counties of America that are largely white (in southeastern Kentucky) go about 80-20 Republican. Welfare is big there. The typical practice is to buy 24-packs of Pepsi with food stamps and sell them for cash, non-food objects, and vice.
Not quite true.

Harlan County, KY, famously the poorest county in the country, typically votes Democrat at the county level (Judge, County Clerk, Sherriff, etc) although they did go for U.S. Senator Mitch McConnell pretty heavily this time around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 01:30 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Is there a point to this thread? People get arrested every day. I assume OP started the thread in a pathetic attempt to bash the Food Stamp Program, and I'm not going for it. Many people need it, and there will always be a few who take advantage of the system, no matter what system it is.
Unfortunately a majority of the people in the program do not need the help, and all it does is enable lazy people to continue on their path of staying irresponsible.

I used to think like you, but I also got to work in the system and that was an eye opener. People get very comfy getting free money for food. They then realize they can use other programs( disability, low income housing, in home support services, etc...). In the end, why work?
If you can mooch off the system permanently, there is no need really to find a full time job and better yourself. If you can get $200 a month for food, have a part time job, and pay $100 for rent, why get out of that situation?

I saw it many times. I also saw people quit a new full time job when they realized they wouldn't qualify anymore! Or, cut hours so that they could get more in food stamps.

In my opinion, everyone should qualify in times of need on a temporary basis. All senior citizens should qualify. If you are young and able to work, you get it for 1 year max.

The way it is set up now is a joke.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:41 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,023,673 times
A collection of cads and bounders.

Old 02-17-2015, 02:36 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,051,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
If the faces were all another color, this thread would have over 200 posts by now.
And they would be constantly referred to as thugs.

Old 02-17-2015, 02:57 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
No, the point of the thread was to post a giant photo of 34 grungy but unmistakably white people who (allegedly) committed food stamp fraud.

And it worked. The OP got me with "New York" and I thought the alleged perpetrators would all be black. Anyone else?

No because some of us know the racial make up of most people who are on welfare/food stamps.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:14 PM

17,587 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Remember that SNAP is administered, with Federal funds.. At the state level.

Every state SHOULD have these arrests and prosecutions happening much more frequently now.. Because the feds are giving money for enforcement..

USDA Awards Grants to Help States Cut Down on SNAP Benefit Trafficking | Food and Nutrition Service

But.. Even with that, in the state of SC, there are 4 investigators and 1 prosecutor dedicated to SNAP trafficking/fraud.

I-Team Exposes Food Stamp Traffickers, SC Cracks Down - WSPA.com

I have zero problem giving people food. But, anyone who pulls these trafficking stunts.. I have no sympathy for. I'm more than happy to help someone.. But when you bite the hand that's reaching out to help you.. Don't be surprised if that hand comes across your face.

Old 02-17-2015, 04:46 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,142,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Would you prefer that these people only buy food with the entitlement money, and snatch purses or burgle houses to buy alcohol & cigarettes? Because those are the choices for a lot of people.
I prefer that they get a job

Old 02-17-2015, 05:34 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,652,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
I prefer that they get a job
I was thinking the same thing and surprised no one else had the same logic. Crazy thinking I guess. Go figure.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:02 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
If the faces were all another color, this thread would have over 200 posts by now.

So that was the reason for this thread. Of course I suspected that when I saw a bunch of mug shots and a news story with no commentary from the OP.

BTW...food stamp/welfare fraud is a crime regardless of who commits it. Apparently, it was no big deal to some until this big sting. Hmmmmmm.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:04 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Would you prefer that these people only buy food with the entitlement money, and snatch purses or burgle houses to buy alcohol & cigarettes? Because those are the choices for a lot of people.
Really ? You are trying to justify them doing this ?
Better SNAP fraud then them committing other criminal acts ?

You really have a low standard don't you ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events